The ALL-METAL Keyboard

ColinLTT

It's heavy, it's GOLD(en), and it types! We build a custom ALL-METAL keyboard from SCRATCH! From the aluminum base all the way to the brass keycaps, this build is a keyboard nerd’s dream!

Buy Mechanical Keyboards:

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://lmg.gg/mZiEI

Buy Gateron Switches

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://lmg.gg/paatD

Buy Keyswitch testers:

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://lmg.gg/Un4AF

Dixie Mech hardware

https://dixiemech.com/

Salvun Keycaps

http://salvun.com/

Apex Keyboards Lubricants

https://www.apexkeyboards.ca/

Great video!

I wish you guys did a proper typing test at the end though, spend like 1-2 minutes with Linus and the other guys checking out how it sounds without background noise.

Also, I think you applied WAY too much lube, especially for linears, and the Stabs weren't lubed.

I can finally replace my Model M as my go to Home Defense Keyboard.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

@ColinLTT Nice work but this keyboard nerd feels that you missed true overkill status. Amusingly it turns I also own an engineering & manufacturing company that specializes military / aerospace / medical stuff - I'd happily put my team and tools to work after hours on it just for the lulz at no cost.

Suggested Overkill Improvements

1) The PCB - you claimed "ALL METAL" - what about the the PCB? We should use an aluminum backed PCB for enhanced rigidity (also just because we can) and thermal performance. Why thermal performance ? Because we should also design a custom PCB with an insane amount of RGBW lighting (aluminum backed PCBs are used in high power LED lighting applications to help sink the heat from the LED chips). You should be able to key light an LTT video with just the keyboard backlight. 

2) The case - 6063 Al for the case is ok - but cmonnn 6063 is a cheaper, weaker, grade of aluminum - not quite worthy of overkill status. Instead - we should do it in titanium (6AL-4V), carbon fiber, and tungsten carbide. Titanium would also enable really cool anodizing (again I feel folks took less overkill road and used Cerakote here) - to this end we should add Carbon fiber inlays and bottom plate. Conversely we could mill the entire deck out of carbon fiber and do machined and anodized titanium inlays :) .  Inconel is also an option ?  

Tungsten Carbide - we could make (wire & sinker EDM) some accent pieces out of TC (it is probably a bit too heavy for a keyboard. Tungsten Carbide LTT logo inlay with capslock/status indicator cutouts ?  

3) Keycaps - Why did you use brass? Brass is heavy, it tarnishes, it often has lead in it and it has shitty mechanical properties. You were struggling with the key switches just because you needed to deal with the weight. Again titanium or carbon fiber are your friends. I suggest milled/EDM-ed key switches out of titanium with micro drilled key labels that would allow the lighting to shine through when on (but be imperceptible otherwise). We could use a high precision sinker micro-EDM to cut very slightly raised bumps on keys to locate the home row.

4) Connector - USB C is convenient and nice but a point of failure. A robust metal industrial USB connector would seem to be more fun :)

In short - you compromised in keyboard performance to get it all metal etc. The correct thing to do would be to use cutting edge manufacturing methods and materials to make an absolutely no compromises keyboard. 

Gauntlet thrown down (maybe find a peripheral maker who is nuts enough to sponsor the video) :)

"as far as we're aware no one has made an all metal keyboard before" 

A user on your own forums has had an all metal keyboard for ~5+ years... :P

Keycaps are only Zinc with Titanium space and Esc but I'd say it qualifies ;)

4 hours ago, Kibelok said:

Great video!

I wish you guys did a proper typing test at the end though, spend like 1-2 minutes with Linus and the other guys checking out how it sounds without background noise.

Also, I think you applied WAY too much lube, especially for linears, and the Stabs weren't lubed.

That lubing was just for the camera, in actuality I took my time doing it right for the build. Theres a cutoff sentence in the video where I mention "3 hours" - thats how long I spent getting all the switches and stabs prepped. It was quite the learning curve. The stabs were lubed as well, admittedly I'm not a pro, but it WAS done. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, MP- said:

@ColinLTT Nice work but this keyboard nerd feels that you missed true overkill status. Amusingly it turns I also own an engineering & manufacturing company that specializes military / aerospace / medical stuff - I'd happily put my team and tools to work after hours on it just for the lulz at no cost. 

Suggested Overkill Improvements

(there were a lot here, trimmed for brevity - see above for details) 

Gauntlet thrown down (maybe find a peripheral maker who is nuts enough to sponsor the video) :)

A fellow manufacturing company owner, nice! I'm a manufacturing engineer by trade and have my own little machine shop as well. This wasn't an "overkill" build in the sense that we got parts that were available commercially, with the exception of the set of brass keys that @salvun made for us. Not saying that an Overkill build isn't possible in the future however!

The brass is actually cerokoted clear, so it wont oxidize. If you want to go nuts with a sinker or glorified bandsaw (wire edm #machinistjokes) I would be super interested to see what you could come up with. 

In the future I would like to make a chassis in house, either on the router here at LTT or in my own shop - for a future video perhaps ;) 

1 hour ago, ColinLTT said:

That lubing was just for the camera, in actuality I took my time doing it right for the build. Theres a cutoff sentence in the video where I mention "3 hours" - thats how long I spent getting all the switches and stabs prepped. It was quite the learning curve. The stabs were lubed as well, admittedly I'm not a pro, but it WAS done. Thanks! 

A fellow manufacturing company owner, nice! I'm a manufacturing engineer by trade and have my own little machine shop as well. This wasn't an "overkill" build in the sense that we got parts that were available commercially, with the exception of the set of brass keys that @salvun made for us. Not saying that an Overkill build isn't possible in the future however!

The brass is actually cerokoted clear, so it wont oxidize. If you want to go nuts with a sinker or glorified bandsaw (wire edm #machinistjokes) I would be super interested to see what you could come up with. 

In the future I would like to make a chassis in house, either on the router here at LTT or in my own shop - for a future video perhaps ;) 

If you need help or insight on custom mech boards let me know I've been in the game a while ;)

Most things like lubing and stickers and indeed tedious but in a way can be soothing/relaxing. Sit back and chill. 

29 minutes ago, MunsterMc said:

Titanium Keycaps

At first I thought they used these titanium keycaps which look so fricking amazing.

I signed up to the forums just to share my keyboard nerdishness.

then welcome and enjoy your stay

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

to 1UP this: 

Titanium nitride coated keycaps (pretty much any metal would do) with through milled letters/symbols for illumination

Individually addressed LED keyswitches

Titanium body

Wireless connection with a massive battery bank for obvious reasons

I half expected Titanium keycaps before Linus mentioned what they were. :s

Linus: We have a Bauer case from DixieMech.

Me: Oh nice, a premium case for a mechanical keyboard video.

Linus: We're going to use Gateron Blacks.

Me: Oh nice, something finally good.

Linus: We're going to lube those Gateron Blacks.

Me: WOKE

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

9 hours ago, PriitM said:

to 1UP this: 

Titanium nitride coated keycaps (pretty much any metal would do) with through milled letters/symbols for illumination

Individually addressed LED keyswitches

Titanium body

Wireless connection with a massive battery bank for obvious reasons

Wow, talk about a difference of priorities. Except for Titanium nitride coating I think all of those things are a downgrade.

All metal keyboard

Fake news! There's clearly insulation around the wires and in the switches.

12 hours ago, seon123 said:

This could be interesting

Hide contents

Screenshot_20200117-081046.thumb.jpg.b4618237bc9f4484d227cc7116831137.jpg

Yo, a Taeha Types x LTT collab would be cool

It boggles the mind. That much overkill and it isn't even ergonomic. Why do people punish themselves with non-ergonomic keyboards that will lead to suffering in their old age?

lol...
a) This rubbish URL get blocked by many Firewall for a good Rreason

b) I know since the early 90tis Metal Keyboard for the Industrial Application.

From AT. :x

On 1/17/2020 at 6:32 PM, geo3 said:

Wow, talk about a difference of priorities. Except for Titanium nitride coating I think all of those things are a downgrade.

Its RGB or nothing. Only thing 1UP to metal is composite polymers. And who would want titanium-kevlar composite body, like really...its the same stuff Koenigsegg Regera is made of