Sundar Pichai is The Captain Now - Google Co-Founders Announce Pichai as New Leader

Source: The Verge

The duo Google co-founders Larry Page & Sergey Brin have announced their transfer control of parent company Alphabet over to Google CEO Sundar Pichai.

Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, who have mostly stayed out of the spotlight since restructuring their company four years ago, are relinquishing control of parent company Alphabet to current Google CEO Sundar Pichai, the duo announced today in a joint letter published to Google’s public blog. The two men will remain employees of Alphabet and retain their seats on the board, but they will no longer oversee the company’s sprawling, almost trillion-dollar empire they created while at Stanford University more than 20 years ago.

This transfer of control comes after the duo thought about the state of management within Alphabet and Google, and have decided to simplify the management style over in both companies to allow Sundar more control to unify the two companies.

The two wrote a blog post reviewing their time as Alphabet's main heads and also touched upon the future of Alphabet & Google as a whole with Sundar's new position of leadership over Alphabet.

With Alphabet now well-established, and Google and the Other Bets operating effectively as independent companies, it’s the natural time to simplify our management structure. We’ve never been ones to hold on to management roles when we think there’s a better way to run the company. And Alphabet and Google no longer need two CEOs and a President. Going forward, Sundar will be the CEO of both Google and Alphabet. He will be the executive responsible and accountable for leading Google, and managing Alphabet’s investment in our portfolio of Other Bets. We are deeply committed to Google and Alphabet for the long term, and will remain actively involved as Board members, shareholders and co-founders. In addition, we plan to continue talking with Sundar regularly, especially on topics we’re passionate about! 

Sundar brings humility and a deep passion for technology to our users, partners and our employees every day. He’s worked closely with us for 15 years, through the formation of Alphabet, as CEO of Google, and a member of the Alphabet Board of Directors. He shares our confidence in the value of the Alphabet structure, and the ability it provides us to tackle big challenges through technology. There is no one that we have relied on more since Alphabet was founded, and no better person to lead Google and Alphabet into the future.

I definitely do agree with the pair to step down from the leadership of Alphabet since the two haven't been contributing a lot to the public image of Google and Alphabet. Sundar is the best guy to take the reigns of Alphabet in my opinion due to his clear leadership displays and how he is able to deliver an excellent and positive public image such as Google I/O keynotes.

I believe with this change-up of control, Google and Alphabet will be able to become a more uniform pairing and have one company's values transfer to the other, and vice versa, to encourage and enforce transparency over the values and morals of each of the companies.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I read that as “picachu as new leader” my brain does weird stupid things I sometimes find entertaining.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Pikachu as YT's CEO would be a vast improvement. Understandable mistake.

Mimikyu as YT's CEO would be a vast improvement.

Spoiler

So would a Magikarp. It's not a high bar.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 hours ago, sowon said:

Sundar is the best guy to take the reigns of Alphabet in my opinion due to his clear leadership displays and how he is able to deliver an excellent and positive public image such as Google I/O keynotes.

I believe with this change-up of control, Google and Alphabet will be able to become a more uniform pairing and have one company's values transfer to the other, and vice versa, to encourage and enforce transparency over the values and morals of each of the companies.

gosh, "transparency" now now, there is non of that when it comes to google.

"positive public image" well to a certain percentage, and i'd guess the uninformed and the google lovers

"company's values" well now, profit is a value

2 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

gosh, "transparency" now now, there is non of that when it comes to google.

"positive public image" well to a certain percentage, and i'd guess the uninformed and the google lovers

"company's values" well now, profit is a value

I remember “don’t be evil” and why they had to remove it as a company motto.  I fell for the google mail because of it.  Should have been more suspicious.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I remember “don’t be evil” and why they had to remove it as a company motto.  I fell for the google mail because of it.  Should have been more suspicious.

yup, gmail is deceptive as fuck as they scan every email sent and received, they data log it and sell it. their search engines skew results to favor googles aims, does anyone have access to their alogorythms? no, so not trasparent at all!

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

So Google now controls Alphabet which controls Google

This sounds like tax evasion. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

yup, gmail is deceptive as fuck as they scan every email sent and received, they data log it and sell it. their search engines skew results to favor googles aims, does anyone have access to their alogorythms? no, so not trasparent at all!

have you tried sending an email from a free & privacy focused competitor to your gmail address? I find Tutanota and proton mail go straight to gmail's spam. 

1 minute ago, Hugh54321 said:

have you tried sending an email from a free & privacy focused competitor to your gmail address? I find Tutanota and proton mail go straight to gmail's spam. 

I find a whole lotta stuff goes to spam that shouldn’t.  Like my email confirmation code for epic that keeps me from playing the metro exodus I bought from them.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I find a whole lotta stuff goes to spam that shouldn’t.  Like my email confirmation code for epic that keeps me from playing the metro exodus I bought from them.

I have found outlook and windows mail to be very good at knowung the difference between spam, unimportant stuff that isn't exactly spam and important mail.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I have found outlook and windows mail to be very good at knowung the difference between spam, unimportant stuff that isn't exactly spam and important mail.

I use thunderbird which is also not bad at it.  The problem is google filters the stuff out befor it gets there.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I use thunderbird which is also not bad at it.  The problem is google filters the stuff out befor it gets there.

That's the good thing with an outlook account,  MS only filter out what you tell them too, other wise the chop up between focused, other and junk is very good.   Legitimate emails always come through to focused,  shops, clubs and newsletters I have signed up for go to other and only the spam goes to junk.  I think in 5 years I've had maybe a dozen legit emails go to junk.   Which in this day and age is pretty good going (either that or I keep my primary email well managed and away from spam sources).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

That's the good thing with an outlook account,  MS only filter out what you tell them too, other wise the chop up between focused, other and junk is very good.   Legitimate emails always come through to focused,  shops, clubs and newsletters I have signed up for go to other and only the spam goes to junk.  I think in 5 years I've had maybe a dozen legit emails go to junk.   Which in this day and age is pretty good going (either that or I keep my primary email well managed and away from spam sources).

The takeaway is I need to change my email.  Yeah.  I’ve known it for a few years.  It’s such a pita though.  Having it is turning into a bigger pita than changing it though.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

So would a Magikarp. It's not a high bar.

well, Magikarp can jump over any high bar with its splash ability. 

Sundar Pichai is a captain of the Creepy Dutchman.