[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

17 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

if you got any reviews for me... last time all i had was internal shots, which still indicate it being a downgraded focus

Any update on new Antec Neo Eco Zen ?

1 hour ago, LukaTCE said:

Will be 500w enough for RX 580 and 2500K ?

Yes.

Of these options i'd pick TXm. Look for Bitfenix Formula Gold too, it sometimes gets very cheap. Maybe also FSP Hydro G and SuperFlower Leadex II/III.

@Tim Serious, oh, it's not Focus, looks like smth from CWT. Nope, it's Andyson, looks very similiar to Silverstone Essential SFX.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Yes.

Of these options i'd pick TXm. Look for Bitfenix Formula Gold too, it sometimes gets very cheap. Maybe also FSP Hydro G and SuperFlower Leadex II/III.

@Tim Serious, oh, it's not Focus, looks like smth from CWT. Nope, it's Andyson, looks very similiar to Silverstone Essential SFX.

So in what tier it should be on

On 2/28/2020 at 9:44 AM, jonnyGURU said:

But the fact of the matter is, even a Seasonic Prime or Seasonic Prime based Corsair AX does the exact same thing (which Aris has proven if you want third party proof).  It's a stupid test and the results are stupid.

Do you have the links for these reviews ? All reviews on Seasonic outsourced AX and PRIME i could find have ripple about 12mV at 110%, and Aris doesn't show ripple past 110%.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Do you have the links for these reviews ? All reviews on Seasonic outsourced AX and PRIME i could find have ripple about 12mV at 110%, and Aris doesn't show ripple past 110%.

Internal testing.  And you have to go beyond 110%.  Which Cybenetics does in their beta testing as well.

But it's similar to what Ronaldo's doing.  Crank it up until it shuts off or blows up.  It's quite literally called an "OPP test".  Everyone does it.  But not everyone is monitoring the ripple during this test.

CX 550 and Seasonic Core 500 and Bitfenix Formula 550w is same 70€
TX 650 is 97€ and price for 550 is the same
So TX and Seasonic Core are not the same ? Or TX and B3 are same ? also XFX is still the same as TX ? I see TX have lower prices now then XFX. Gotta find something fast as already picking for 3 weeks lol If I would order from Germany I would already get it by now :)

Anyone heard of Chieftec BBS-700S it's Chieftec Core ? It's the similar quality as Thermaltake smart RGB and Cooler Master ? which are crap ? Is Silverstone still trusted or only at 100€+ ranks ?
Seems they just throw this untrusted brands or models in Europe

Is there any list of PSU that is like comparison of different brands but same quality so you just look at wattage and efficiency. I mean if OEM like Seasonic build same model for several brands and are trusted it should be on same quality build list. And sorted if they are build by Seasonic, CWT, Delta OEM. And layers of PCB
It's just hard to find trough all the recommendations.

Sennheiser HD 598

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

6 minutes ago, LukaTCE said:

So TX and Seasonic Core are not the same ? Or TX and B3 are same ? also XFX is still the same as TX ? I see TX have lower prices now then XFX. Gotta find something fast as already picking for 3 weeks lol If I would order from Germany I would already get it by now :)

Anyone heard of Chieftec BBS-700S it's Chieftec Core ? It's the similar quality as Thermaltake smart RGB and Cooler Master ? which are crap ? Is Silverstone still trusted or only at 100€+ ranks ?

Is there any list of PSU that is like comparison of different brands but same quality so you just look at wattage and efficiency. I mean if OEM like Seasonic build same model for several brands and are trusted it should be on same quality build list. And sorted if they are build by Seasonic, CWT, Delta OEM. And layers of PCB

Formula is imho a better unit than both CX and Core Seasonic, and apart from modularity, it's even better than the TX550M. If non-modular construction is something you can live with, definitely grab the Formula Gold Bitfenix. Or take a look at Whisper units! : )

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

They only have Formula 650w for 80€ or I buy from different store 550w. GFX is cheaper at one store and other store got more PSU's
They list 450w but it's out of stock I will contact them. Would be 450w enough ? Using Be Quiet calculator it shows 400w But that's so close to the limit especially if I OC but BF games are never stable OC.
RX 580 590 5500 using 130-180w+100W 2500K and 4 fans and 1 HDD and 1 SSD

I regret now I should order 3 weeks ago from Germany or Amazon. Our stores got 30€ bump on better PSU's

Sennheiser HD 598

Then go for Bitfenix. 450\550W versions of Formula Gold and Whisper M have problems with GPU compatibility tho, it trips with very high-transient GPUs like AMD Vega so if you have something like that, better look at smth else, either 650\750W version of Bitfenix units or Corsair TXm for example. Or that Chieftec Core BBS if it's significantly cheaper.

Edit: I see, it should be good with the GPUs you plan to use. 450W would be enough with your config but if you plan on upgrading the GPU some day i'd recommend to get 550\650W.

So TX and Seasonic Core are not the same ?

"Hell no." @jonnyGURU

Or TX and B3 are same ? also XFX is still the same as TX ?

What ? As in Corsair TXm and EVGA B3 ? XFX as a company and Corsair TXm ? In regards or platform used or quality ? I don't get you.

Anyone heard of Chieftec BBS-700S it's Chieftec Core ?

It's based on CWT GPS platform which used in a lot of PSUs but CWT are very flexible to modifications of their base platforms so you can't just say that if the other PSU uses CWT GPS platform then it's the same. But there's review of it on Russian website and results are decent. One thing are that Chieftec doesn't claim neither UVP nor OTP so it's not clear if this PSU really has these protections, but it uses the same supervisor IC as on base platform which supports these protections. I'd say if it's significantly cheaper than Bitfenix Formula Gold and Corsair TXm and you don't use very high-end GPU then it's good.

It's the similar quality as Thermaltake smart RGB and Cooler Master ? which are crap ? Is Silverstone still trusted or only at 100€+ ranks ?

Brand are irrelevant, OEM are too. Look at the performance of specific units in question. All OEMs have bad and good designs. There's no such thing as brand or OEM tier list. You have PSU tier list at your disposal right here, i don't know how more specific it could be.

Why was Cooler master mwe bronze v2 stepped down in tier list ??

Shouldn't it be above Cosair VS as it DC-DC.

4 minutes ago, Tim Serious said:

Why was Cooler master mwe bronze v2 stepped down in tier list ??

high ripple, with the 80+ white version even going slightly out of spec

CM is aware of this and have a fixed version ready, but it's not in production yet due to some problems in China

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Then go for Bitfenix. 450\550W versions of Formula Gold and Whisper M have problems with GPU compatibility tho, it trips with very high-transient GPUs like AMD Vega

Wait since when? They should probably be detiered if that's true. Is there a review linked somewhere with that?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

43 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Wait since when? They should probably be detiered if that's true. Is there a review linked somewhere with that?

user reports seem to indicate it... nothing from bitfenix or official reviewers that i know of

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

high ripple, with the 80+ white version even going slightly out of spec

CM is aware of this and have a fixed version ready, but it's not in production yet due to some problems in China

Oh i see .... But i asked about bronze v2 version, it was above Corsair VS last time i checked 

Does it have high ripple too ?

1 hour ago, Tim Serious said:

Oh i see .... But i asked about bronze v2 version

and i'm talking about that one

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/9871/14/goedkope-voedingen-round-up-300-450w-vanaf-37-euro-ripple

again, this is just an expected error from Gospower, since this is their first ATX PSU. they have a design that has this fixed, but that's again due to problems in China not in production yet. this removes the semi-passive mode and fixes the ripple issues according to CM

11 hours ago, Juular said:

Then go for Bitfenix. 450\550W versions of Formula Gold and Whisper M have problems with GPU compatibility tho, it trips with very high-transient GPUs like AMD Vega so if you have something like that, better look at smth else, either 650\750W version of Bitfenix units or Corsair TXm for example. Or that Chieftec Core BBS if it's significantly cheaper.

Edit: I see, it should be good with the GPUs you plan to use. 450W would be enough with your config but if you plan on upgrading the GPU some day i'd recommend to get 550\650W.

"Hell no." @jonnyGURU

What ? As in Corsair TXm and EVGA B3 ? XFX as a company and Corsair TXm ? In regards or platform used or quality ? I don't get you.

It's based on CWT GPS platform which used in a lot of PSUs but CWT are very flexible to modifications of their base platforms so you can't just say that if the other PSU uses CWT GPS platform then it's the same. But there's review of it on Russian website and results are decent. One thing are that Chieftec doesn't claim neither UVP nor OTP so it's not clear if this PSU really has these protections, but it uses the same supervisor IC as on base platform which supports these protections. I'd say if it's significantly cheaper than Bitfenix Formula Gold and Corsair TXm and you don't use very high-end GPU then it's good.

Brand are irrelevant, OEM are too. Look at the performance of specific units in question. All OEMs have bad and good designs. There's no such thing as brand or OEM tier list. You have PSU tier list at your disposal right here, i don't know how more specific it could be.

Any known recent/relevant high-transient GPUs besides Vega 56/64?

3 minutes ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

Any known recent/relevant high-transient GPUs besides Vega 56/64?

2080 ti, some 1080 ti models (gaming x is most known for it), VII are the ones that come to my mind

24 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

and i'm talking about that one

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/9871/14/goedkope-voedingen-round-up-300-450w-vanaf-37-euro-ripple

again, this is just an expected error from Gospower, since this is their first ATX PSU. they have a design that has this fixed, but that's again due to problems in China not in production yet. this removes the semi-passive mode and fixes the ripple issues according to CM

Ripple causes noise but what kind of noise, fan noise?

Does it overheats, then fan ramps up ?

What would happen if someone buys this psu and how can someone avoid the ripple ... Sry for asking too much i don't know much about it .

Just now, Tim Serious said:

Ripple causes noise but what kind of noise, fan noise?

Does it overheats, then fan ramps up ?

What would happen if someone buys this psu and how can someone avoid the ripple ... Sry for asking too much i don't know much about it .

Ripple are noise, voltage noise.

It puts stress on components, namely capacitors in VRM of motherboard and GPU, so they heat-up and may fail prematurely, if ripple are very high it could make system unstable too if VRM can't rectify that.

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

Ripple are noise, voltage noise.

It puts stress on components, namely capacitors in VRM of motherboard and GPU, so they heat-up and may fail prematurely, if ripple are very high it could make system unstable too if VRM can't rectify that.

So this voltage noise is audible too, is it same as coil whine? 

shouldn't these MWE V2 units recalled then if they have high ripple i mean 47.5 db is a lot i guess

8 minutes ago, Tim Serious said:

So this voltage noise is audible too, is it same as coil whine? 

shouldn't these MWE V2 units recalled then if they have high ripple i mean 47.5 db is a lot i guess

Main source of coil whine are switching of VRMs themselves, so there's very little to no relation between voltage ripple and whine induced in VRM components. Although if what you hear are actually capacitors whine, it could be concerning, meaning that either capacitors are failing or there are very high ripple on the input, but usually it is in the coils\chokes.

Chieftec BBS-700S have some basic protection But I see cables are basic
https://ru.gecid.com/power/chieftec_core_bbs-600s/?s=all

Protection against high voltage output (OVP);

protection circuit (SCP);

overload protection for power (OPP).

Would I be better with Be Quiet then Bitfenix Focus or Seasonic Core ? or Bitfenix Focus is best ? so cheapest upgrade would be RM from that rank ? I see also Be Quiet System Power U9 is good at reviews but don't know parts quality.

Sennheiser HD 598

8 minutes ago, LukaTCE said:

Chieftec BBS-700S

Looks like it's good budget PSU along the lines of bq quiet Pure Power 10\11, Corsair CX and CM MWE Gold, a bit higher than this performance wise even but there's no telling if it actually supports UVP and OTP even through it probably should so i'm cautious on putting it higher. bq! System Power 9\U9 are similiar but it's double-forward so it might whine with high-end GPUs (not that you should put high-end GPUs on these PSUs anyway). Bitfenix Formula Gold and Corsair RM would be better of all those.

quick question, is focus gold the same as focus plus gold? I'm eyeing the focus plus gold after unsuccessful attempts of finding rmx series

1 minute ago, euviridis said:

quick question, is focus gold the same as focus plus gold? I'm eyeing the focus plus gold after unsuccessful attempts of finding rmx series

focus gold (gm/fm) is semi-modular

focus plus gold (gx/fx) is fully modular