Budget Apollo Lake CPUs degrading

Vulkan HeStan

Original Tom's Hardware Article

(This article is a couple of days old but no one's posted it on the forum) 

Edit: Update on the article

As detailed in a recent Product Change Notification (PCN) document, Intel is refreshing four of the company's Celeron and Pentium Apollo Lake processors due to degradation concerns. 

Apollo Lake might consist of paltry Celeron and Pentium models, but these chips are commonly found in many budget products, including desktops, laptops, 2-in-1s and AIO (All-In-One) PCs.

Intel identified an issue with the Low Pin Count (LPC), Real Time Clock (RTC), SD Card interfaces on Intel Celeron N3350, J3355, J3455 processors and Intel Pentium N4200 processor resulting in degradation of these signals at a rate higher than Intel's quality goals after multiple years in service.

Although not outlined in this article, most Chromebook use N3350 and N4200. As someone in the laptop market its basically wiped them out as an option. 

Having identified the problems, Intel is proceeding to refresh the entire Apollo Lake lineup. Current Apollo Lake chips with the B1 stepping are moving over to the new F1 stepping.

To simplify the transition and avoid confusion between the new and old stepping, Intel adding the "E" suffix to the processor names. As a result, the processors with the F1 stepping will be marketed as Celeron J3455E, J3355E, N3350E and Pentium N4200E.

It must be pretty bad if its justified for Intel to change stepping and release new chips for 3 year old CPUs. 

The most ironic thing about this is how Intel is bashing AMD for supposedly having unreliable chips.

Edit: Just an afterthought, but it seems fishy to announce a problem with budget CPUs after the Back to School shopping has ended. Perhaps its intentional, but at the moment it's just coincidental... 

where is the class action lawsuit? where do I sign in to get my $5????

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

It's big daddy intel, they probably already gave Brett Kavanaugh a six pack of beer to look the other way.

12 minutes ago, Vulkan HeStan said:

It must be pretty bad if its justified for Intel to change stepping and release new chips for 3 year old CPUs.

All Intel has done recently is release new versions of the same chip, why break the habbit?

What are we on now, Skylake++++?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well, fuck, my router uses N4200. ? It's pretty much every other day now that I read some shit about Intel and their products...

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

File a warranty claim

Meh, whats that gonna solve? Its not broken yet, and even if it was i wouldnt want a new j3355, i was actually waiting for the gemini lake refresh next year...

hey! my stuffs older than that! Exept maybe my desktop that is on AMD.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Well I know of some AIO that are affected...that business will be having fun.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

36 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well I know of some AIO that are affected...that business will be having fun.

That's gonna be a broken contract with the supplier if I've ever seen one

10 hours ago, Levent said:

You would fail any class action lawsuit against a company before they have actually done something wrong.  Making a product that turns out to be faulty and intentionally releasing a faulty production are two different things.    You will have to wait for Intel to refuse to replace your CPU under warranty or prove they falsely advertised the features of the chip in regard of longevity.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So is there a recall for replacement or extended warranty program or something then?  Now that they've admitted there's an issue I don't think they can just leave it at that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 9/11/2019 at 6:08 AM, Master Disaster said:

All Intel has done recently is release new versions of the same chip, why break the habbit?

What are we on now, Skylake++++?

All's well that's still Haswell.

14 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

All's well that's still Haswell.

sandy lake sandy lake! it still melts!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

What exactly does the change from B1 to F1 stepping make in terms of everything that matters (performance, power consumption, etc.)?  Am I understanding it correctly that existing CPUs will be changed with a software update?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Me: Intel doesn't care of have to - because if they were a monopoly they would be stripped down.  They have to F up enough, and give AMD just enough - to let them be called Real Competition.

My 2 copper coins. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Me: Intel doesn't care of have to - because if they were a monopoly they would be stripped down.  They have to F up enough, and give AMD just enough - to let them be called Real Competition.

My 2 copper coins. 

I agree with this in the wider scope of business,  I think it's why no one at Intel loses sleep about most of the things this forum seems to think is a death knell for the company.  I don't think they intend for it to be that way and are complacent though.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 9/11/2019 at 7:07 AM, 5x5 said:

It's big daddy intel, they probably already gave Brett Kavanaugh a six pack of beer to look the other way.

How does Kavanaugh have anything to do with this?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

8 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

How does Kavanaugh have anything to do with this?

Chill man, it's a joke

38 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Chill man, it's a joke

Okay, was just curious lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

On 9/11/2019 at 3:27 PM, Genwyn said:

Athlon 5350 was once again the better choice.

Suck it, celeron J series.

I honestly wish these and the boards they went in were still available. I need to build a new file server for just a few people in my office, and one of these would be perfect for the task.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1