No coverage for TV/internet but what can be done?

AhmedIlyas

So, apologies if this belongs to the wrong forum.

I live in WA state in the US and have comcast internet and TV. 

I am planning on moving to a different state but unfortunately that area is not serviceable by comcast as per their checker online.

Now, I NEED comcast for a number of reasons. I also work in the IT field for my own company and also another tech giant. So, internet is very important.

This sounds crazy but I'd be happy to pay whatever it costs (literally) for being able to some how get a service from a provider that does not service the area. 

Question is, does anyone know how it can be done or what can be done? Unfortunately when I call them, it goes offshore and they dont know much... 

Call me crazy but that is just how things are. Has anyone done this kind of thing before or know what companies can "investigate" the area and see if there is some patch or something to bring over the service or even just to my (soon to be) home?

I am sure someone here somewhere must have some details or have done it themselves in the past? I know that with some new built homes (this one is not), that all they needed to do was to "drop" the line and make it serviceable. 

thoughts? This will be in the state of Nevada in the Vegas area.

thanks kindly!

You should talk to comcast about this. There's too many factors that are unique to you for us to help.

I know some ISP's do rural work and will provide lines if you hire them to set them up. However, that work can also cost up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, AhmedIlyas said:

So, apologies if this belongs to the wrong forum.

I live in WA state in the US and have comcast internet and TV. 

I am planning on moving to a different state but unfortunately that area is not serviceable by comcast as per their checker online.

Now, I NEED comcast for a number of reasons. I also work in the IT field for my own company and also another tech giant. So, internet is very important.

This sounds crazy but I'd be happy to pay whatever it costs (literally) for being able to some how get a service from a provider that does not service the area. 

Question is, does anyone know how it can be done or what can be done? Unfortunately when I call them, it goes offshore and they dont know much... 

Call me crazy but that is just how things are. Has anyone done this kind of thing before or know what companies can "investigate" the area and see if there is some patch or something to bring over the service or even just to my (soon to be) home?

I am sure someone here somewhere must have some details or have done it themselves in the past? I know that with some new built homes (this one is not), that all they needed to do was to "drop" the line and make it serviceable. 

thoughts? This will be in the state of Nevada in the Vegas area.

thanks kindly!

I’m not American and even I know nobody has ever gone out of their way to get Comcast and they’re not going to be helpful.

You need to explain why using Comcast is important, because if you get Comcast to run a line from an area they service to an area they don’t you are out hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you don’t mind if Comcast lease cables from other companies than why don’t you just use the local provider?

I had cables run to a rural farm once - about 4km from the nearest node - and it cost $35k.

That's not going to happen if they're not in the area. It's maybe possible to get a line added to your place if they're servicing the area but not your specific location (and are close by).

But why does it need to be Comcast specifically, and not Cox or CenturyLink or whatever other ISPs are in whichever part of the Vegas area you're referencing?

Yeah no, they don't do stuff like this because some random customer asked nicely because they "really need comcast"

Maybe if you had a few million to offer then they would talk.

But no, you really don't "need comcast"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, AhmedIlyas said:

thoughts

Your stuck with the providers in the area. Comcast would require a franchise agreement with the city/state to operate in the area. This would most likely require them to wire up the city. So no it’s not going to happen. Feel lucky if you have Fiber or coax in your new location. Some people don’t have those options. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks all, i appreciate your help.

the reason why comcast:

- the range of channels I get on TV already

- The 1GB speed.

CTL and cox only provide up to 35Mbps which is nothing and the TV channels are limited to what I currently get with comcast. 

That's why.... :(

6 hours ago, AhmedIlyas said:

Thanks all, i appreciate your help.

the reason why comcast:

- the range of channels I get on TV already

- The 1GB speed.

CTL and cox only provide up to 35Mbps which is nothing and the TV channels are limited to what I currently get with comcast. 

That's why.... :(

Doing a quick Google search. Century Link does offer Fiber (1Gbps) in 22% of Vegas. Hard to say if you will live in an area that has it, but at least they have a 1 Gbps option, not only that an option that is better than Comcast. 

https://broadbandnow.com/Nevada/Las-Vegas

According to that Cox offers up to 1 Gbps. They use the same Docsis tech as Comcast. So if Cox is an option at your new address, there is a good chance you can get Gigabit. 

yeah i looked into that but on the cox site, services are not offered in that area I am looking to move into. and for CTL, they offer up to 30Mbps in that area also :(

Unfortunately you'd be out of luck then and would have to wait until century link provides your area with their 1GB connection.

5 hours ago, TheRevTastic said:

Unfortunately you'd be out of luck then and would have to wait until century link provides your area with their 1GB connection.

The OP would most likely be dead and buried by the time they get around to doing that. 

1 hour ago, Required said:

OP is looking for internet. The op can get 30Mbps dsl, which is better than satellite. 

On 8/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, AhmedIlyas said:

yeah i looked into that but on the cox site, services are not offered in that area I am looking to move into. and for CTL, they offer up to 30Mbps in that area also :(

If you really do have "unlimited ("literally")" money to toss at this situation, you'd have better luck talking to CenturyLink and offering them large sums of money to upgrade your location to higher speed tiers. Or offer the same to Cox to run a DOCSIS connection out.

Either way, no, you're not getting Comcast.

You could always see if CenturyLink can run multiple connections to your home, and bond them into a larger connection.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)