Best recent Star Wars movie?

Nine Tailed Fox

Of course nothing can top the OG trilogy but out of The Last Jedi, Solo, etc. Rogue One was the best imo

1 minute ago, ThePD said:

Rogue One was the best imo. The tactful use of Vader was phenomenal. Plus I have no care for the characters in 7-9.

I totally agree. Rogue One told a story that needed to be told, without ruining any of the characters from the originals. 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

Rogue One was definitely the best imo.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

1 minute ago, star_pilot475 said:

I totally agree. Rogue One told a story that needed to be told, without ruining any of the characters from the originals. 

The battles were some of the best in the series too. Action where it was needed. Scariff is the first thing I think of now when someone mentions Star Wars.

2 minutes ago, ThePD said:

Rogue One was the best imo. The tactful use of Vader was phenomenal. Plus I have no care for the characters in 7-9.

^^^ Solo was a decent flick too, not needed but not terrible IMO. As for the Sequel Trilogy, pretty solid meh. They have a lot of characters with awesome potential, but just had them make illogical decisions and all sorts of wack stuff, pretty much wasted them. TLJ especially was a massive yikes, after the initial glow wore off and you realized what actually happened, it gets dumber and dumber every time you see it. Poe's flying has remained consistently awesome to watch though, so I suppose that's one good point? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

My personal favorite is The Last Jedi - it was surprisingly original and despite a couple of scenes I thought were meh I think it did a great job of properly defining and evolving the new characters. Rogue One is a close second, compared to TLJ it doesn't have the small structural problems and it's a nice peek into what Star Wars is outside of the main movie cast but I think the story itself is more bland.

I liked TFA but it wasn't original enough to be a contender for the best movie in the new series and I thought Solo was ok but no more than that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ Solo was a decent flick too, not needed but not terrible IMO. As for the Sequel Trilogy, pretty solid meh. They have a lot of characters with awesome potential, but just had them make illogical decisions and all sorts of wack stuff, pretty much wasted them. TLJ especially was a massive yikes, after the initial glow wore off and you realized what actually happened, it gets dumber and dumber every time you see it. Poe's flying has remained consistently awesome to watch though, so I suppose that's one good point? 

I actually never saw TLJ because when I saw TFA I was incredibly disappointed. 

9 minutes ago, ThePD said:

I actually never saw TLJ because when I saw TFA I was incredibly disappointed. 

TFA is a much better movie, lol. IDK what went through Rian Johnson's head. It's like he went full on expectation subversion, and threw out everything TFA built up. For all it's faults, TFA was a least a decent movie, and built up a lot of awesome stuff for the sequel. TLJ either threw it away or didn't address it at all, seemingly all for the sake of surprising you. Finn had a would be epic moment that was ruined for the sake of utter and complete full bodily cringe, Poe wasn't used for much, the new characters they added just made really illogical choices, Luke did some cool stuff but he wasn't used the best. Though they did have quite a cool concept with Rey and Kylo being able to basically Force skype, but instead of it being a cool new phase of the Force guiding people, it was Snoke (who just gets killed with no explanation at all of his powers, who he is, or anything at all) so that ended up being dissapointing as well. Basically it was a group of amazing actors and characters and ideas that were just... wasted. 

EDIT: oh, and what they did with Princess Leia was just s t u p i d, they should have given her character a fitting end instead of dragging it out into the next movie. Also Admiral Akbar of "It's a Trap!" fame was just sucked out into space in the background and never seen again, so RIP a fan favorite character. The other Mon Cal dude in Rogue One had a better death and he was a brand new character made for just one movie. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Sil3nt1 said:

Of course nothing can top the OG trilogy but out of The Last Jedi, Solo, etc. Rogue One was the best imo

I'd say Rogue One, followed by Solo, followed by TFA, with TLJ being last.

Rogue One was just a kickass, really solid War time/Adventure movie. The battle of Scarif is probably the best battle scene (both land, air, and space) in any Star Wars movie to date. It is the best Space Battle we've ever seen in Star Wars. By a decent margin (Revenge of the Sith almost does it, but it doesn't actually let you see the larger battle, except for little snippets you can see in the background).

Solo is just a really fun, enjoyable adventure film. Great casting. Great acting. Excellent visuals. And the action choreography is spot on. But Rogue One does edge it out.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

im not a star wars fan, to me rogue one is like a fan services film. if you are a fan, very good, to me, i'm not getting it.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

5 minutes ago, zassou said:

im not a star wars fan, to me rogue one is like a fan services film. if you are a fan, very good, to me, i'm not getting it.

What about it do you "not get"? The narrative is pretty straight forward. It answers a simple question without contradicting anything.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What about it do you "not get"? The narrative is pretty straight forward. It answers a simple question without contradicting anything.

i mean, as a non-fan, i like the last jedi, a more meaningful story. after watching it, i was still wowing at the ending scene. and cant wait for the rise of the skywalker. i believe it's gonna be good as it's directed by jj abrams.

rogue one however, i dont have the "popcorn" feel when i watching a blockbuster movie like main series, or for that matter, marvel movie. just meh, it's fine, 7/10. i mean for a fan service movie it's really fine, just look over to warcraft.

im a warcraft fan, probably the most hardcore one of this forum, i rate warcraft a rating of facepalm /10.

(unpopular opinion: i like star trek movie, i like discovery, and i like jj abram's movie sans those lens flares)

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Just now, zassou said:

i mean, as a non-fan, i like the last jedi, a more meaningful story. rogue one however, i dont have the "popcorn" feel when i watching a blockbuster movie like main series, or for that matter, marvel movie.

No idea what "popcorn" feel is. TLJ was a different story. It had different meaning. Was it "more" meaningful? Perhaps in the messages it chose to tackle. Rogue One was more straight forward.

Which is ironic, since you use the term "popcorn feel" and "blockbuster" - things that typically have less meaningful stories. Same with the Marvel movies - I love them, and there are some that are very "meaningful"... but most aren't.

It's cool if you liked TLJ better. To quote The Dude: "That's like, your personal opinion, man." TLJ certainly had some of the very best Star Wars we've ever seen (Including the Throne Room fight, and all the Reylo stuff), but it also had some shit too (The basic premise of the "Car chase in space... but slower and boring"). I liked TLJ. I even liked it more than I disliked it. But Rogue One was definitely way more consistent. It was great, throughout the entire movie. Whereas TLJ was great only in parts (but those parts were really great).

They are all meh to me but the crashing a spaceship using light speed scene was dope.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

i stil can remember some of the most iconic scenes of the last jedi, and yet right now i only know i watched rogue one, but i cant recall what it's about.

1 hour ago, Princess Luna said:

They are all meh to me but the crashing a spaceship using light speed scene was dope.

Rogue One hands down. Solo was easily forgettable and TFA is much better than TLJ.

41 minutes ago, floofer said:

Solo was easily forgettable and TFA is much better than TLJ.

IMO all the Star Wars films are.

Games and books are easily 1,000,000x better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

34 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

IMO all the Star Wars films are.

Games and books are easily 1,000,000x better.

Oh I’m still waiting for the Racer remaster. Racer and The Phantom Menace games were my fav. Not as keen on the books, but I don’t really like fictional books.

13 hours ago, zassou said:

i mean, as a non-fan, i like the last jedi, a more meaningful story. after watching it, i was still wowing at the ending scene. and cant wait for the rise of the skywalker. i believe it's gonna be good as it's directed by jj abrams.

rogue one however, i dont have the "popcorn" feel when i watching a blockbuster movie like main series, or for that matter, marvel movie. just meh, it's fine, 7/10. i mean for a fan service movie it's really fine.

I feel like this is dismissing it because, not being a SW fan, the importance of the story/setting to the overall canon may be slightly lost on you. Also it rolls elements of the first 6 films and the Disney ones, together in a very clever way, which I think is no small feat considering it's position chronologically. Whilst the term can be used to describe RO... I think simply calling it 'fan service' is a considerable discredit.

Not to put words in your mouth, but when you say 'meaningful story' in TLJ, I get the feeling you may enjoy the numbered SW films more because they play off of the more commonly known story beats of the SW universe. There's lightsabers bruh, some sith, air battles and Storm Troopers out the wazzo. So the additional stories like RO(and to a larger extent Solo), require you to have at least a basic knowledge of the canon outside of the movies, to be fully enjoyed. I think the replies in this thread reflect this.

At least, that's my take on your 'popcorn feel' :) Kind of the opposite to what @dalekphalm's angle :P 

In case it wasn't clean, Rogue One is my favorite too xD 
(btw, I also really like discovery too)

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Rouge One because who doesn't love seeing ISDs blow up/blow stuff up? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

So the general consensus is that the stand alone movies seem to be better than "Episode" movies. Who would've thought that few years ago.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

So the general consensus is that the stand alone movies seem to be better than "Episode" movies. Who would've thought that few years ago.

Because the story of the numbered movies is rehashed and strung out copies of the original trilogy:D Hell, I could even say original 6 films tbh. Even in TFA, which I understand was based somewhat on an existing script?

Solo spoiler;

Spoiler

Although I'm secretly really fucking hyped that Darth Maul is back(yes I know he was in Clone Wars)

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷