Best recent Star Wars movie?

Nine Tailed Fox
1 minute ago, Ross Siggers said:

Because the story of the numbered movies is rehashed and strung out copies of the original trilogy:D Hell, I could even say original 6 films tbh. Even in TFA, which I understand was based somewhat on an existing script?

It was basically ep. 4 all over again. And we already got that with ep. 6 to a degree. So it's 3rd time in 7 (before TLJ came out) movies they were trying to destroy a humongous death machine. It was a letdown for me personally. But then again I'm the guy who thinks ep. 3 is better than either 4 or 6. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

@Bouzoo It's been a while since I watched 1-3, but I will say by the third one they'd set things up pretty well. Some decent battle scenes in there too. I think a 1-7 session is required, TLJ just...sucked. 

I'll always have an irreverence for the original trilogy though. The original cuts or the 90's 'Special Edition' remasters that I grew up with. None of those Blu-Ray tweaked bullshit Lucas did ?

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

3 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

@Bouzoo It's been a while since I watched 1-3, but I will say by the third one they'd set things up pretty well. Some decent battle scenes in there too. I think a 1-7 session is required, TLJ just...sucked. 

I'll always have an irreverence for the original trilogy though. The original cuts or the 90's 'Special Edition' remasters that I grew up with. None of those Blu-Ray tweaked bullshit Lucas did ?

Then you will love Harmy's Despecialized Edition.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

I've heard about this, but didn't know it was released or actively worked on. Well, I know what I'm downloading this evening >.>

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Solo was definitely the weakest one but apart from that I'm having a hard time deciding which one I liked the most. I enjoyed them all and rewatched them all depending on the mood.

None of them are perfect but all of them have redeeming qualities that make them fun to watch for me.

What really bothers me isn't the movies and their flaws but the extremely vitriolic hardcore fanbase. As a Star Wars fan the one thing I can't stand in larger doses is Star Wars maniacs :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I think what angered people initially with Disney was the idea that the whole Expanded Universe was nullified by the new movie. And there's far more of that than there is film content. That was probably SW fans at their most irate.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

6 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

That was probably SW fans at their most irate.

Can't wait for them to bitch about reusing Palpatine in the last movie, who cares that this was one of the first things their beloved EU did ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

On 5/30/2019 at 7:23 PM, Sil3nt1 said:

...Solo...

It is Soylo

Controversial opinion time:

I loved the last Jedi

There I said it

Thing is what worked for me was its subversion of the Star wars mythos and like anything subversion is a big double edged sword.

We have this highly idealized view of characters like Luke Skywalker that we ignore the flaws they had in the past.

I guess everyone forgot how whiny Luke was in both A new hope and Empire strikes back?

I sure dont.

Thing is star wars as a whole always sucked, from clunky dialog to cliched storytelling its never been the Rembrandt painting everyone treats it as.

No its a coloring book at best.

Not saying I hate star wars, heck its terribleness is the main reason why I love it.

Star wars has always been a mess though, a highly entertaining and fun mess but a mess none the less.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:23 PM, Sil3nt1 said:

Of course nothing can top the OG trilogy

Even that has been ruined by all the changes Lucas made afterwards.  If you want the proper original trilogy, you need the despecialized edition.

I watched episode 1 shortly after it came out, that one was so bad that I didn't even bother with the rest anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Even that has been ruined by all the changes Lucas made afterwards.  If you want the proper original trilogy, you need the despecialized edition.

I watched episode 1 shortly after it came out, that one was so bad that I didn't even bother with the rest anymore. 

Episode 1 isn't og trilogy I'm talking about 4, 5, and 6

Rogue One and Solo are tied for me, liked both of them.

TFA was cool nostalgia at first, but I am disappointed in it.

The Last Jedi is absolute horse shit, imo.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:25 AM, ThePD said:

Rogue One was the best imo. The tactful use of Vader was phenomenal. Plus I have no care for the characters in 7-9.

My sentiments as well.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

59 minutes ago, Sil3nt1 said:

Episode 1 isn't og trilogy I'm talking about 4, 5, and 6

Yeah, I wasn't clear enough about that apparently, I should have put a divider between those 2 sentences to point out that the latter was a general response to the topic rather than a reply to the quote.

Episode 1 is the most recent one I've seen.  It was such a letdown. 

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Yeah, I wasn't clear enough about that apparently, I should have put a divider between those 2 sentences to point out that the latter was a general response regarding the topic.

Episode 1 is the most recent one I've seen.  It was such a letdown. 

That pod race tho

I say watch any Star Wars movie except for Rogue One. It was an absolute bore. The colours were drab, like a TV cop show or Skyrim. Nothing was suspenseful or remotely funny. There were too many characters for a stand-alone movie, and some of them were in the shadows not doing much most of the time. The fight scenes were « meh! » except for IP-Man and Darth Vader. 

I vote for Solo or Last Jedi. At least they’re trying to deviate from George Lucas and it seems to pay off, most of the time...Or just watch Guardians of the Galaxy I and II. It’s the better Star Wars movie IMHO. It combines the humour of the original Star Wars trilogy with the action of the later Star Wars movies. 

For me, Solo, hands down.

I think if I expected it to be really good, I wouldn't like it as much as I do. It was, in my opinion, surprisingly good for a recent Star Wars movie.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Rouge 1 sucked but The Last Jedi and Force Awakens was good. And I watcher it on DTH, so 1080p60 streaming.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:41 PM, Teddy07 said:

It is Soylo

and sega as seya for everyone who's feeling kawaiii!

59 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Question. Why haven't they made a KOTOR move yet?

Are you serious? Games based on the SW universe turned into movies again .... Other points could be that Bioware has better offerings on the table for turning into a movie ;)
They should have better spended their money and stick with the endings described in the book... That would have been something!

i believe that is why the general concensus seems to be ......

On 6/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, Bouzoo said:

So the general consensus is that the stand alone movies seem to be better than "Episode" movies. Who would've thought that few years ago.

its actually very simple. Just take a bunch of nerds group them together and bam... The only way you can reach a conclusions is aim a gun at their hands and force them to agree to dice deciding.. even then 50% would use mindtricks to influence results
but on a more serious matter. Especially with the ending already brought to us in a special way in the ... uhm 90's
lucasarts way of keeping new films entertaining for fresh ones and recognizable for the older 'fans' is bound to deliver a movie nobody really is satisfied about outside of the children... Man i think i watched the first trilogy a thousand times in my youth

anyway .... The last one was Solo right? The ending left me with a craving to get another movie about the dark side ... A movie where we follow her and her dark escapades all to put the "emperor" in the spot where he needs to be

The Force awakens wasn't bad but it could have been great with a good follow-up, but "the last Jedi" completely wasted the set up, so I ignore both of them, I haven't seen Solo (although I would like too) so I guess that just leaves Rogue One.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

On 6/3/2019 at 1:43 PM, Mr. horse said:

Question. Why haven't they made a KOTOR move yet?

Mostly because they'd need to heavily adapt the story to fit a movie format (even if they did a trilogy) - so they're probably concerned about pissing off the hardcore fans if the story deviates.

The current rumour is that Benioff and Weiss (GOT Showrunners who are helming a Star Wars Trilogy of movies) are either working on a KOTOR/Revan trilogy, or a Darth Bane trilogy.

Personally I'd much rather see a Revan story. I don't mind (actually I even fully expect) it if they change the story up to fit the format. A straight copy of the KOTOR story wouldn't work that well on screen I don't think.

Personally I think that a KOTOR/Revan trilogy should be as follows:

1. First movie - show Revan becoming a Jedi, training with the various masters (Including Kreia, etc), and becoming one of the most promising/powerful Jedi in recent memory. Have Malak be there and show their close bond - sprinkle inklings of the unrest of the Mandalorians - perhaps the movie ends with the surprise invasion of the Mandalorians, kicking off the Mandalorian Wars with the Republic.

2. Second movie - The Mandalorian Wars are now in full swing, and the republic is getting their asses kicked. The Jedi have refused to join. Growing discontent among the order forces Revan to lead a splinter group to aid the Republic - they help turn the tide of the war - though we see Revan's slow dip into the darkside. Movie ends with Revan killing Mandalore in single combat, and heading into the unknown regions (perhaps finding the Starforge in the very last scene, if they want to keep that part of the lore).

3. Third movie - Movie begins with Revan returning with a Sith armada as a Lord of the Sith and their new master. The first act ends with Revan systematically destroying the Republic, until his ship is ambushed by Jedi - during the fighting, Malak turns on Revan and fires on the ship. Revan is presumed killed. The second act would be a condensed version of Revan having his memory wiped and learning to become a Jedi again. The final act would be some variation of the KOTOR story with Revan discovering who he is, deciding to stay with the Light, and confronting and killing Malek.

Variation of this could be take Movie's #1 and #2 and condense them down into one movie. Have the first movie montage him joining the Jedi, becoming friends with Malek, etc, and have the Republic/Mandalorian Wars start earlier in the first movie - perhaps at the end of the first act. Have Revan and Malek lead the Jedi into the war during the middle of the movie, and have him kill Mandalore as the climax of the first movie.

Then you could have the second movie devote more time to Revan and Malek finding the Starforge and falling to the Darkside fully, and then their attacks on the Republic. Have Revan's capture by the Jedi (and betrayal by Malek) be the climax of the 2nd movie.

That would leave the final film to be fully devoted to Revan with his mind wiped learning to be a Jedi again, and going after Malek to stop him.

The main problem would be, how do you keep the twist that Revan-Jedi at the end is the same person as Darth Revan from earlier - that was a culminating moment of the KOTOR story. I think they'd have to change it so that either:

1. You never see Original Jedi Revan (turned Darth Revan)'s face, just him always wearing the mask.

2. Or, it's simply not a twist (to the audience anyway) that his mind is wiped, and "redeemed" Revan is also Darth Revan.

If there's another approach, I'd be open to that as well.

They could write out the Starforge and the Ratakan entirely, if needed. And the whole True Sith Empire stuff from TOR. I think it would need to be heavily modified, at the least. And that's okay with me, as long as it's good writing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@dalekphalm What makes a Stars Wars movie, a Stars Wars movie?

This idea of adapting KOTOR seems like a no-brainer on paper. But there's a huge risk of redundancy between the other 2 trilogies. Namely, the idea of a main character with the personality of a fence that is unexpectedly gifted. i.e. The journey of a hero. And good VS evil. 

It's so fascinating to me that the Last Jedi, Rogue One and Solo are trying their gosh darn darnest to deviate from that cookie cutter fantasy hero journey. But these movies still feel stale because we're still in the Star Wars universe and a lot of the same characters are present. I can't help to think that the Last Jedi would have been a better stand-alone movie if it weren't held back by fan-service and forcing continuity with the previous films. 

So if I were to adapt KOTOR, I would try my best to deviate from Star Wars entirely. Brand new cast, sound track, actors and visual direction. Make it KOTOR, not Star Wars. We'll only know it's Star Wars from the technology (weapons, ships) and the various Easter Eggs. 

I mean, I was so hyped up for Valerian to take off as a Star Wars franchise competitor but it was more vanilla than even Star Wars. What I really mean is, I want space fantasy movies other than Star Wars. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, shanewill said:

Thought I've heard about Star wars a lot but have watched only a single part: The Last Jedi. I really loved that movie. Planning to watch it from the starting. From where can I get the all the parts.

If you're looking to watch all of the movies? Check Netflix - they used to be up there. They will be on Disney+ once it launches.

You can also buy/rent all of them on Google Play or iTunes, or from Amazon on BluRay.

If you're looking for a "free" method? Move along. We don't support piracy here - though it's easy enough to find if you know how to look.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 6 months later...
On 5/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, Zando Bob said:

TFA is a much better movie, lol. IDK what went through Rian Johnson's head.

I actually liked TLJ far more than TFA. The endless callbacks and reused stories ruined TFA for me, and I was glad for a change of pace.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440