No, THIS is the CLEANEST Setup.

James

“If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.”

Carve the tabletop to fit the keyboard and replace mouse with touchpad.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

10 hours ago, James said:

Buy Akitio eGPU:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/n2V2JH
On Newegg: http://geni.us/wJD2R

We build a desk that transforms your laptop into a full gaming desktop workstation using a single Thunderbolt 3 cable.

Can you add a link for the desk please?

12 hours ago, Hero1117 said:

Could you link the thunderbolt box website?

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

14 hours ago, James said:

Buy Akitio eGPU:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/n2V2JH
On Newegg: http://geni.us/wJD2R

We build a desk that transforms your laptop into a full gaming desktop workstation using a single Thunderbolt 3 cable.

Hi Linus .. I have a Macbook Air 2017 i5 8 GB 256 SSD. How can I connect it to the monitor ? I understand connecting laptop to display but how to connect wired keyboard & mouse also ? and how to connect external graphics card ? PLz give me step by step full details. I couldn't get it all from the video. plz help :) Yes would love for macbook folloup ....

1 hour ago, GSM said:

Hi Linus .. I have a Macbook Air 2017 i5 8 GB 256 SSD. How can I connect it to the monitor ? I understand connecting laptop to display but how to connect wired keyboard & mouse also ? and how to connect external graphics card ? PLz give me step by step full details. I couldn't get it all from the video. plz help :) Yes would love for macbook folloup ....

The GPU would connect over thunderbolt type c, the wireless peripherals could be bluetooth or they could use wireless receiver dongles because of the type c dock.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

14 hours ago, Milli5410 said:

Yeah Exactly. For me its picking between building a totally separate computer for around $500-$600 (with some used parts from online), or just spending around $400-$500 on a EGPu and just use my laptop. Because my laptops processor is a current gen i7 8850H and it isn't too bad, and I could get one performance level better GPU and recoup the performance loss though TB3.

So its either having a separate computer that cost a little more with more or less performance than a Laptop connected though TB3. So consumers like me have to decide wether plugging in a single cable into your laptop is that big of a deal to justify building a separate computer.

Kind of. If you factor in the price difference between your laptop and an ultrabook that would do just as well in most tasks, the price difference is massively different.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I plan on doing a similar thing when I replace my laptop. I don't play games and can't afford the expense of having both a laptop and desktop right now but I want to be able to be as portable as possible when I need to be, but than have a normal monitor, mouse and keyboard when I am at my desk. 

20 hours ago, Rendering Fast said:

Hi, everyone. I’m very new to the form and joined because of this video.

I have an Acer Nitro and it has a USB-Type C looking port. On the Acer’s website it states to be a USB 3.1 Gen 1 port. Would this work with a dock like the one features in the video? Thank you.

Unless it's thunderbolt 3 you can't use it for an external GPU, but assuming you don't need that it should work great.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Does anyone know what kind of fans they used for the filing cabinet?

Okaaaay so if I understand this correctly...I would hook up my Dell XPS 15 to the eGPU via TB3 and then hook that to the TB3 hub? And then connect that to the monitor/mouse/keyboard?? Do I have this correct? Would anyone be willing to help me out with further details? Thanks.

Is it possible to build a small portable pc that cost around CAD2000 that makes use of this setup instead of using a laptop?

Man if I only knew where he got that grey desk. It looks amazing?

Fairly new to use of eGPUs.  Could I, in theory, use any laptop that will charge via TB3, and has a fairly powerful quad-core processor, and use it as a "normal" laptop if I don't care about using the laptop to game when away from the desk, then use it as the "core" of a gaming "desktop" setup like this?

For example, Lenovo X1 Carbon G5 or G6 with an i7 and 8 or 16 GB or RAM, hooked up to a setup similar to this, would it game fairly decent when in the "desktop" mode?

1) neodymium magnets to hold that TS3+ in place instead of velcro;

2) CNC a hole for a mousepad mat;

3) a watercooled mat to leave the laptop on top of;

4) get the wireless charger on the right-hand side - since it's CNC'd on the base it'll still be hidden;

5) hide the graphics inside that fake drawer on the left where the wireless charger is that way you'll still have full drawers and it would be actually hidden;

6) get a MacBook and a dock for it :P

Not only would it be great to do a V2 of the cleanest desktop. While this has probably been already been suggested. With all of the custom technology builds you have done. You could actually make a business out of custom building technology. Then selling it putting the Linus brand on it.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:07 AM, david2trill said:

Could this work for my Dell XPS 15?

Hi there!  Which model Dell XPS do you have?

I'm planning on doing a similar build to this with my i9 Dell XPS 15 9570 which has the 4 lanes thunderbolt that was missing from the previous Dell XPS and I think is supposed to play very fairly with eGPU's.  I'm intending on dismantling my beastly, noisy, expensive to run desktop in order to fund the branch into eGPU/hub combo.  

On 1/24/2019 at 10:22 AM, Radium_Angel said:

I'm at work so I can't listen, but looking through the video it looks like some kind of adapter box you plug into your laptop.

That's so clunky.

I can build a desktop PC with only 1 cord to it, and that's the power cord.

Everything else can be wireless.

Keyboard.

Mouse.

Network.

Video card. (yes, it did exist)

So much cleaner...

You could probably buy one for the cost of the eGPU chassis anyway. 

So does this setup actually make sense at all yet?

I've been interested in it for a while, but I can't help just always concluding that it's only for people with spare cash they want to burn.

It requires and expensive laptop and an expensive box to put a GPU in to get performance that will always been behind what the same spec hardware in a desktop would get...

29 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

eGPU chassis

Absolutely. It was an interesting idea (a clean workspace) but the cost would indicate better options exist

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I attempted to do this by getting a HP Envy B-209na (27" UHD 4k touch display all in one).

It had a 7700T, 16GB RAM, GTX 950m.. but I used a razer core x with RTX 2080. I found the processor to be bottlenecking as well as the thunderbolt, so lost about 20fps overall. Sold it and now got a ITX build - which i much prefer.

28 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Absolutely. It was an interesting idea (a clean workspace) but the cost would indicate better options exist

I've looked into it so much, because I have a MacBook Pro with the AMD Pro 450, which rapidly got outdated it seems, so I'd love a desk like this, but for the cost I could just get a desktop.