Windows 10 May Reserve Another 7GB For Updates.

Uttamattamakin
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, when hardware was expensive, higher dev costs made more sense. As hardware gets cheaper, high dev costs no longer make sense.

I understand that, but when you are a software company, which is by far the most widely used PC operating system, then maybe you should invest some money into optimizing it.

"It costs money" is to me not a valid excuse for doing a poor job. Again, imagine if Volkswagen used that excuse for poor miles per gallon results compared to their competitors.

"It costs a lot of money to make the engines more efficient".

And yes I understand that Microsoft makes money basically regardless of how well optimized Windows is. I can understand business decisions for how to allocate resources without having to agree with it. What I am saying here is that I wish Microsoft would take better care of Windows than they do.

As a consumer and user of their product, I don't really care how much money they make from something. What I care about is how good the product is. I am not here to argue how Microsoft can create a product I will buy with as little effort as possible. I am here to voice my opinion about how I think Microsoft should make the product better for me. I am not employed by Microsoft so I don't have any obligation to defend them. I am a user so I should express what I want.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I mean, you can't blame MS for creating safeguards so that OS works without problems. If that means reserving 7GB, then so be it. I can't understand ppl who have so little drive space left anyway. Just buy a new bigger HDD, they go for peanuts these days and same for SSD's, otherwise you'll be fiddling with stupid space every time you want to do basically anything. Which is just dumb. It's like leaving enough space for 2 jars in the fridge. And then you constantly have problems fitting anything into it.

1.) Not all computers, have drives that can be upgraded.  Namely portable computers which for a long time now have been most computers sold. 

2.) As a consequence of 1, above, upgrading the drive means upgrading the whole system. 

3.) Because of 1 and 2 people who buy inexpensive portables such as windows 10S devices and similar will be up S creek without a paddle.   They buy them because they don't have a ton of money and only have basic needs such devices barely met as it was. 

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

1.) Not all computers, have drives that can be upgraded.  Namely portable computers which for a long time now have been most computers sold. 

2.) As a consequence of 1, above, upgrading the drive means upgrading the whole system. 

3.) Because of 1 and 2 people who buy inexpensive portables such as windows 10S devices and similar will be up S creek without a paddle.   They buy them because they don't have a ton of money and only have basic needs such devices barely met as it was. 

But his latter point is still valid. Those people who will be screwed because of the loss of 7gb were already screwed as they barely had enough space to breathe anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:17 PM, Uttamattamakin said:

Microsoft will reserve 7GB of your device's storage to resolve a Windows 10 bug thrown up by Windows Update not checking whether a PC has enough storage space before launching after big updates

WTF

like WTF!

OMG

Billy

Lets all ride out Windows 7 right until the end, then switch to Linux and figure it out from there. I like my Steam games, but other then that I dont need Billy! I guess I can still rock W7 in Linux Virtual Machine for games.

4 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

To be fair, you get what you pay for in life. Its not a lot of money to spend a bit more for storage in this day and age either. You pay for a budget device, don't expect much from it, if thats all you can afford, thats just life. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

To be fair, you get what you pay for in life. Its not a lot of money to spend a bit more for storage in this day and age either. You pay for a budget device, don't expect much from it, if thats all you can afford, thats just life. 

I'll be sure to inform people who need a computer for school that they should not pay their electric bill so they can buy a more OP computer to write their papers and do their online homework.   That is if they even have an electric bill since over 10% of the students I teach are homeless.  https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/03/15/520192774/national-survey-shows-high-rates-of-hungry-and-homeless-community-college-studen

?

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

expect

I expect not to be raped by Billy, that is what I expect but Billy is greedy.

Gotta wonder what other backdoors Billy and team put in place.

15 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I'll be sure to inform people who need a computer for school that they should not pay their electric bill so they can buy a more OP computer to write their papers and do their online homework.   That is if they even have an electric bill since over 10% of the students I teach are homeless.  https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/03/15/520192774/national-survey-shows-high-rates-of-hungry-and-homeless-community-college-studen

?

Just don't get a computer for school and use the school computers or textbooks. Buy into second hand computers, you can get a nice second hand notebook for the same price as those cheap tablets. Hungry and homeless students have a lot more to worry about than buying a computer anyway.

13 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I expect not to be raped by Billy, that is what I expect but Billy is greedy.

Gotta wonder what other backdoors Billy and team put in place.

Companies have set the bar higher for what to pay and expect, stuff is always subsidised by something! If you buy $50 windows tablet and Microsoft needs to make up the money somehow for a cheap copy of windows. 

Do you need that much storage if all you do is just writting and giving presentation for your assignments and homework?

10 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

BS. Buy external HDD that go just as cheap and copy all non essential stuff to it and leave more space on computer. It's really not rocket science and everyone knows how to plug a portable HDD to an USB port.

9 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

?

Yeah, that's nice and all, but no one is entitled to own a computer. If you can't afford something, then you can't have the something. Companies don't need to bend over backwards and keep costs rock bottom low to satisfy the needs of those people.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, that's nice and all, but no one is entitled to own a computer. If you can't afford something, then you can't have the something. Companies don't need to bend over backwards and keep costs rock bottom low to satisfy the needs of those people.

They also don't need to block users from disabling and removing non critical features from their products....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

21 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

They also don't need to block users from disabling and removing non critical features from their products....

Don't "need" to. But based in some of the interactions I've had with people, I see why they should

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

35 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Don't "need" to. But based in some of the interactions I've had with people, I see why they should

You do realise that burying settings under multiple complicated menus deters nearly all non techies?

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You do realise that burying settings under multiple complicated menus deters nearly all non techies?

Some settings should be buried that deep so average joe doesn't fuck something up.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

They do this to deter average people from fucking up.  I have had this complaint with networking settings, user accounts etc. Over the last 3 or 4 iterations of windows those settings have gone from workable to downright unnecessarily confusing and in some case I would argue as pointless.  But according to several admin managers i have spoken to it stops people messing the system up and reduces the amount of machines they need to fix.  I can only imagine it probably has had a impact on MS helplines.  these sorts of settings changes really only effect us (tech enthusiasts who want to do specific things and play with our toys).  We don't need to contact MS when something goes wrong, we either ask on the forum or re-install. The average Joe cannot do either of those so need to be shielded somewhat from ending up in that position.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 1/13/2019 at 11:06 AM, Canada EH said:

Lets all ride out Windows 7 right until the end, then switch to Linux and figure it out from there. I like my Steam games, but other then that I dont need Billy! I guess I can still rock W7 in Linux Virtual Machine for games.

I don't remember much about Windows 7's launch and patches, were there any issues like this? Why does it seem Windows 10 has more issues than previous versions of Windows?

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

They do this to deter average people from fucking up.  I have had this complaint with networking settings, user accounts etc. Over the last 3 or 4 iterations of windows those settings have gone from workable to downright unnecessarily confusing and in some case I would argue as pointless.  But according to several admin managers i have spoken to it stops people messing the system up and reduces the amount of machines they need to fix.  I can only imagine it probably has had a impact on MS helplines.  these sorts of settings changes really only effect us (tech enthusiasts who want to do specific things and play with our toys).  We don't need to contact MS when something goes wrong, we either ask on the forum or re-install. The average Joe cannot do either of those so need to be shielded somewhat from ending up in that position.

The main issue for me has been that it simply takes longer to tweak Windows 10 in any way, regardless of how simple the tweak is. My other problems with it I've for the most part found work-arounds for (eg. a script that disables than re-enables ICS each time my desktop is booted up, since that feature was broken after 1607).

I grew up with DOS and Windows 3.1, so Microsoft's decisions with Windows 10 while frustrating, don't stump me.

PMSL

49 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I grew up with DOS and Windows 3.1, so Microsoft's decisions with Windows 10 while frustrating, don't stump me.

That's because you know what you are doing,  You know how to fix anything you break.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I don't remember much about Windows 7's launch and patches, were there any issues like this? Why does it seem Windows 10 has more issues than previous versions of Windows?

Windows 7 was the best. Everything after just sucked ass big time.

Why, well Billy is greedy, that is why W10 sucks ass and has so many problems.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Windows 7 was the best. Everything after just sucked ass big time.

Why, well Billy is greedy, that is why W10 sucks ass and has so many problems.

Incorrect. A lot of people had issues upgrading to Windows 7 and each service pack, and even on normal updates. You just don't remember.

Yes I know, because I was in so many of these threads. Juts replace now, Windows 10 with 7 and 7 with XP, and voila, a great portrait of how it was.

And Billy, I think you mean Bill Gates, has not been the CEO of the company since Jan 2000. Yea... so all the bad stuff was under Steve Ballmer, (beside Surface and XBox which Steve Ballmer pretty much has done it as a favor for Bill Gates). Mind you Bill Gates wasn't a saint either... I am not saying this. But the company was innovative under Gates. Under Ballmer, it was dead, anti-competitive, mostly non-innovative, didn't understand or see any value in smartphones, servers, web, cloud, hardware nor gaming.  Think about this, Gates pushed with the idea of having a frameworks where games can run the same no matter the users graphics card, audio chip, controllers. Under him we had DirectX, which changed the gaming world. OpenGL didn't exists. When OpenGL was released by Silicon Graphics, Inc. when they shutdown (basically was this internal thing for them to use exclusive with their own hardware, the company shutdown, and decided to release this project as open source, and called it "OpenGL"). OpenGL was always massively behind DirectX for ages. Then Microsoft barely touched DirectX for years on end, as Ballmer didn't understand gaming, so limited its resources to continue to develop it, until OpenGL finally catches up to DirectX, and then Microsoft panic and started to wake up with DirectX 10. Anyways.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Incorrect. A lot of people had issues upgrading to Windows 7 and each service pack, and even on normal updates. You just don't remember.

Yes I know, because I was in so many of these threads. Juts replace now, Windows 10 with 7 and 7 with XP, and voila, a great portrait of how it was.

And Billy, I think you mean Bill Gates, has not been the CEO of the company since Jan 2000. Yea... so all the bad stuff was under Steve Ballmer, (beside Surface and XBox which Steve Ballmer pretty much has done it as a favor for Bill Gates). Mind you Bill Gates wasn't a saint either... I am not saying this. But the company was innovative under Gates. Under Ballmer, it was dead, anti-competitive, mostly non-innovative, didn't understand or see any value in smartphones, servers, web, cloud, hardware nor gaming.  Think about this, Gates pushed with the idea of having a frameworks where games can run the same no matter the users graphics card, audio chip, controllers. Under him we had DirectX, which changed the gaming world. OpenGL didn't exists. When OpenGL was released by Silicon Graphics, Inc. when they shutdown (basically was this internal thing for them to use exclusive with their own hardware, the company shutdown, and decided to release this project as open source, and called it "OpenGL"). OpenGL was always massively behind DirectX for ages. Then Microsoft barely touched DirectX for years on end, as Ballmer didn't understand gaming, so limited its resources to continue to develop it, until OpenGL finally catches up to DirectX, and then Microsoft panic and started to wake up with DirectX 10. Anyways.

Its actually stunning to see how long DirectX 9 has hung around for.

PMSL

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

That's because you know what you are doing,  You know how to fix anything you break.

To an extent. Some problems that I've come across (or created) I've ended up solving purely by chance. 

PMSL

8 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The difference is that Microsoft has changed to a rolling release schedule which they are clearly unfit to keep up with.

Sure, people had issues when they upgrading from Vista to 7, and from 7 to 7 with SP1. But that happened two times in like 8 years. Now Microsoft are forced to release two major updates every year. 

Windows 10 have already had 6 large updates (and in 2 months the 7th will be released) which makes major changes to the system files and functions.

Windows 10 have had 6 times as many large updates in 3 years, as Windows 7 had in 9 years.

The normal updates seems to be about the same for both, which is to say they rarely cause any issues (although  it happens sometimes, but that happened with both 7 and 10). It's the major updates that are the pain in the ass, and since Windows 10 gets A LOT more of those updates than Windows 7 did, more issues arise.

GoodBytes, you know this. So why are you leaving that very important detail out? What you said is true, but it's very misleading since you're not telling the full story.

Anyway, I think people who are saying "just get more storage is missing the point".

The point is that Windows is very, very bloated. The space Windows 10 now has to reserve for updates along, is more than most operating systems need, period. And it's not because Windows 10 is so much more complex and requires all that space. It's because Windows 10 (and Windows in general) is poorly engineered by modern standards.

Throwing more hardware at bad software does work, but it's a bad practice that really should stop. The better hardware have gotten, the more sloppy and worse written software has become, which negates the better hardware.

28 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Anyway, I think people who are saying "just get more storage is missing the point".

The point is that Windows is very, very bloated. The space Windows 10 now has to reserve for updates along, is more than most operating systems need, period. And it's not because Windows 10 is so much more complex and requires all that space. It's because Windows 10 (and Windows in general) is poorly engineered by modern standards.

Throwing more hardware at bad software does work, but it's a bad practice that really should stop. The better hardware have gotten, the more sloppy and worse written software has become, which negates the better hardware.

yes, 512k should be enough ram for most users.