Liking the wrong picture on facebook can get you 32 years in prison? In thailand it can

AlTech

Thai people have just had some hatred brought upon them by their government. If they like the wrong picture on facebook they may get 32 years in prison.

Americans can take solace in the fact that no matter whom they elect next year to lead the country, they will still be allowed to make fun of the person in charge. Not so in Thailand, where insulting the royal family can draw convictions of up to 15 years in prison per infraction under the country’s strict lèse majesté law.

In August, a 48-year-old Thai man was sentenced to 30 years in prison for Facebook activity deemed insulting to the monarchy, a record sentence at the time, according to a quote from the man’s lawyer in the Guardian. And Glyn Davies, the US ambassador to Thailand, is currentlyunder investigation for criticizing the country in comments he made at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand on Nov. 25.

And now comes the case of Thai factory worker Thanakorn Siripaiboon, who was arrested at his home in the Samut Prakan province, south of Bangkok, on Dec. 10 and charged with sedition, cyber crime, and the defaming of Thailand’s 88-year-old king, Bhumibol Adulyadej,

“On December 2, he clicked ‘Like’ link on a doctored photo of the King and shared it with 608 friends,” Col Burin Thongprapai, legal officer for the National Council for Peace and Order, told AFP.

This is really stupid! Why are we censoring the internet? Why? I get that trolls are evil and need this. But regular ordinary people? HELL NO!

http://qz.com/570804/liking-the-wrong-picture-on-facebook-can-get-you-32-years-of-prison-in-thailand/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It's not really a case of 'censoring the internet', it's Thai law. Extremely strict and not of this time and age but still a fairly well known law.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Not amused

hoFF3fa.png

Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?

That's not exactly a global thing.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Thailand is odd to say the least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocn0uNv3vMg

John oliver is considered a threat to their monarchy or something after a couple of satirical commentaries.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

That's not exactly a global thing.

When it was introduced the intention was for it to be global, but not every nation agreed - some despised it because their authority could be questioned 

It's not really a case of 'censoring the internet', it's Thai law. Extremely strict and not of this time and age but still a fairly well known law.

It's a dumb law though.

Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech? A fundamental world-wide standard. 

Land of Thai certainly ain't no 'Merica.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

It never was a global thing....

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It never was a global thing....

It's been a global thing for decades...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Liked and shared a picture, is treated as a cyber criminal. Wow. Just wow. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Im surprised no one knew this. In middle east, saying something bad about the royal family through messenger ro whatsapp can get you arrested

Thailand can be such a weird country when it comes to their laws.

Im surprised no one knew this. In middle east, saying something bad about the royal family through messenger ro whatsapp can get you arrested

Can confirm, you can get arrested not only for insulting the King, but even for speaking negatively about a ministry (no I'm not joking)/

Ohh wait, no I didn't say anything, shhhh.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

This is what TOR is for.

To like images on facebook? Don't think tor will help you there  :P

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Freedom of speech is an American right under the US Constitution, it doesn't apply anywhere else in the world despite how many people seem to believe it does.

Here in the UK for example, its legal to protest against things (even this is against the law under certain circumstances), freedom of the press is protected by law (that is to print stories that they think are in the public interest, media outlets still have to abide by UK law in their activities) and also parody and critique are protected by law. Outside of that the police can arrest you for saying things they think you shouldn't be saying under the Public Order section of our Law Documentation.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

who was arrested at his home in the Samut Prakan province, south of Bangkok, on Dec. 10 and charged with sedition, cyber crime, and the defaming of Thailand’s 88-year-old king, Bhumibol Adulyadej,

Ah! Good day, Citizen! Internet Processing Unit 232.7 is on-line and ready to eradicate sedition!

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I never knew Thailand was that strict dumb.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

You really can't expect these other countries to abide by standard practices that America and other advanced nations have.

For example, there was an incident also in Thailand iirc for a League of Legends tournament that banned transgenders from competing or some such. Genna Bain (Totalbiscuit's wife) ranted on Twitter saying something along the lines of "I'm sorry, what world are we living in?" as if she expected every place in the world to be as free as her country. It's naive to think this.

As much as people, even Americans, shit on America, we're more free to do and say what we want than any other place in the world under the law.

You really can't expect these other countries to abide by standard practices that America and other advanced nations have.

For example, there was an incident also in Thailand iirc for a League of Legends tournament that banned transgenders from competing or some such. Genna Bain (Totalbiscuit's wife) ranted on Twitter saying something along the lines of "I'm sorry, what world are we living in?" as if she expected every place in the world to be as free as her country. It's naive to think this.

As much as people, even Americans, shit on America, we're more free to do and say what we want than any other place in the world under the law.

My post wasn't to say that all countries abide by these International Laws, I was simply saying it is recognised globally as an International law/treaty. So to say it isn't a global thing is not true, it is. Whether or not it is in practice in all countries.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Reality check: in some places on this planet you get punished for speaking out against authorities.

"We shouldn't have a reason to speak out at them."

Idealism dicates this would always be the case, but the truth is that you can't please everyone and not everyone will be happy with everything, therefore you can give them freedom of speech in hope they'll never have reason to use it, or void them of that freedom altogether so those who you've not pleased never can.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono