Surface Book Issues

ravneillal

It was a promising start with all the hype but just like the original surface pro's (1 and 2) this seems to be the trend with microsoft lately. Its really disappointing to see such a great product fall or was it a hype from the beginning?

The long list of issues with the Surface Book is as follows:

• Dead on arrival (or badly limping on arrival) Surface Books
  • Random crashes and lockups
  • Surface Book systems working fine until they're updated, following which they fail to load
  • Surface Book systems failing to boot when in the dock
  • Detaching the Surface Book from the dock results in an error (the most common being related to SearchUI)
  • Weird screen color temperature issue when scrolling web pages (see video in the 1st source link)
  • Random display driver errors displayed every 10 to 20 minutes
  • Random trackpad freezes
  • Problems physically connecting/disconnecting the dock, with some users ending up with the screen half-disconnected
  • A screen wobble due to a weight imbalance between the screen and keyboard
  • No ambient light sensor controlling the brightness of the backlit keys, something that most laptops - especially premium models - have these days
  • No quad-core CPU option for those wanting more power
  • Concerns about the strength of the hinge

Forbes also spotted another Surface Book forum post by ericspt that highlights some of the hardware's key problems with playing media.

• Dell 34″ U-Wide cannot be used with the dock. Screen goes black every 2-3 minutes for 10 seconds or so
  • Cannot boot with the dock. Monitor never comes on and my Kef X300 speakers just click over and over. Have to boot without the dock, then plug the dock in
  • Strangest problem is color temp changes on web pages as you scroll. Goes from a light white screen to a purple or yellow hue once you hit a certain point in the page, happens consistently on long pages and easy repeatable. Happens on both the external monitor and the laptop screen.
  • Playing MPEG files on the laptop works fine, playing them connected to the dock will give an unable to decode error sometimes, program closes other times, and plays. After it errors out 2-3 times it refuses to play until reboot.
  • Going to a web page where there are a lot of animations or movement causes a black screen, won't come back until you undock/redock
  • Cannot detach dock, says I have to close SearchUI but its not a running service that I can find, have to reboot again

Source : 

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/surface-book-reportedly-plagued-by-early-bugs-hardware-issues-1307594

http://www.zdnet.com/article/surface-book-suffers-from-launch-day-bugs/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theopriestley/2015/10/27/microsoft-surface-book-hit-with-early-problems-already/

who made this? Acer? Toshiba? Tosh-er? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

who made this? Acer? 

In my experience Acer has been fine for the past few years, they used to be rather crap.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

News just in : Microsoft are shit

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Most of these sound either like software/drivers problems that will probably be fixed in the near future,  or seemingly bs or unrelated to actual problems.

No quad-core CPU option for those wanting more power

Seriously?

That's an isssue?

Anyway, Microsoft better be fixing the actual problems.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Most of these sound either like software/drivers problems that will probably be fixed in the near future,  or seemingly bs or unrelated to actual problems.

Seriously?

That's an isssue?

Anyway, Microsoft better be fixing the actual problems.

see this thread

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/270810-mfw-alienware/

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

wow it may look like a mac but it aint QA liked one

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

wow it may look like a mac but it aint QA liked one

oooo

you uh

you are gonna cause a lot of butthurt by acknowledging MBPs are great laptops

here pass this around

US-VSL-10oz-AloeSoothe_tcm2858-777636.pn

muh specs 

All parts black

I don't get it.

That's a gaming notebook.

Can you show me a Windows ultrabook/tablet with a quad core CPU?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I don't get it.

That's a gaming notebook.

Can you show me a Windows ultrabook/tablet with a quad core CPU?

no it's the fact that they offer an i5 and i7, and it sounds like they are both dual core 4 thread........

but hey you know 7>5

muh specs 

All parts black

no it's the fact that they offer an i5 and i7, and it sounds like they are both dual core 4 thread........

That's how the ULV lineup is.

I still don't get it.

You were hoping for a quad core ULV i7? There isn't any.

That's how the ULV lineup is.

I still don't get it.

You were hoping for a quad core ULV i7? There isn't any.

missing the point. They tout it like an upgrade when likely it's not at all. I get ti's common, it's just stupid. 

muh specs 

All parts black

missing the point. They tout it like an upgrade when likely it's not at all. I get ti's common, it's just stupid. 

Aaah.

I get it now.

What's the correlation with the Surface Book though?

Aaah.

I get it now.

What's the correlation with the Surface Book though?

it's likely similar tot he alienware case. I won't know till we know exactly which ones are in there but likely the same cpus pretty much but a couple hundred Mhz apart. 

muh specs 

All parts black

News just in : Microsoft are shit

Why ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This is a driver issue. With nVidia as I read the problems. The dock has the vga and nearly all the problem are here, because of this. The attaching and deattaching vga solutions allways have these issues at launch.

Hako: Gigabyte z490i, i5-10400F@4.3GHz, 16GB LPX 3200MHz, Intel 7600p 1TB,  AMD RX6800

Stuff: Ducky One 2 MiNi, Xtrfy M4 Retro, Asus VG259Q

Phone: Google Pixel 3XL NoT P!nk

OMFG! Microsoft has Surfacegate! 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

all of the software issues seems to be driver related, specially to the graphics driver and microsoft already knows about it, read a review were those issues pop up, and MS said fixes were in the works, if there not BSing they should be fixed fast, unless this guy decided to just use it without updating the firmware, also the hardware ones all have been pointed out in reviews, and i assume this guy was fine with those given the review embargo was lifted a week before launch, lastly complaining about not having a quad core cpu is a bit dumb after you bought it, i understand that if it was a complain of someone interested and that by the price a dual core seems a bit disappointing but by someone who bought it, its rather dumb, sounds like this guy bought the hype without doing a 5 minute research whatsoever before placing his order.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Seems like this was going to happen eventually, since the hardware is in two halves and supposedly can disconnect at any time.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Wow.. the bias on this article is to the roof.

Scratching the bucket by anti-Microsoft.

The long list of issues with the Surface Book is as follows:

• Dead on arrival (or badly limping on arrival) Surface Books
  • Random crashes and lockups
  • Surface Book systems working fine until they're updated, following which they fail to load
  • Surface Book systems failing to boot when in the dock
  • Detaching the Surface Book from the dock results in an error (the most common being related to SearchUI)
  • Weird screen color temperature issue when scrolling web pages (see video in the 1st source link)
  • Random display driver errors displayed every 10 to 20 minutes
  • Random trackpad freezes
  • Problems physically connecting/disconnecting the dock, with some users ending up with the screen half-disconnected
  • A screen wobble due to a weight imbalance between the screen and keyboard
  • No ambient light sensor controlling the brightness of the backlit keys, something that most laptops - especially premium models - have these days
  • No quad-core CPU option for those wanting more power
  • Concerns about the strength of the hinge
Forbes also spotted another Surface Book forum post by ericspt that highlights some of the hardware's key problems with playing media.
  • Dell 34″ U-Wide cannot be used with the dock. Screen goes black every 2-3 minutes for 10 seconds or so
  • Cannot boot with the dock. Monitor never comes on and my Kef X300 speakers just click over and over. Have to boot without the dock, then plug the dock in
  • Strangest problem is color temp changes on web pages as you scroll. Goes from a light white screen to a purple or yellow hue once you hit a certain point in the page, happens consistently on long pages and easy repeatable. Happens on both the external monitor and the laptop screen.
  • Playing MPEG files on the laptop works fine, playing them connected to the dock will give an unable to decode error sometimes, program closes other times, and plays. After it errors out 2-3 times it refuses to play until reboot.
  • Going to a web page where there are a lot of animations or movement causes a black screen, won't come back until you undock/redock
  • Cannot detach dock, says I have to close SearchUI but its not a running service that I can find, have to reboot again

First of all, manufacture errors happens with all products, yes it sucks but that is life. All manufacture including Apple.

The device already had a firmware update replacing the beta drivers delivered by many manufacture such as Intel (which by the way still hasn't fully fixed their Win10 driver bugs). So, a lot of the issues listed are all related to Intel drivers. Others are fixed, or should be coming. They were confirmed by Microsoft before this 'news'. I think Microsoft even mentioned them to reviewers notes.

As for the no quad core CPU... how is this an issue? Is it also an issue that all laptops aren't equipped with a octo-core Intel desktop CPU and GTX 980Ti, with 24h battery life, yet thin as ultrabook, and operates under intense load cool and quite.. please.

Same for the ambient light control backlight keys. You knew what you bought, they aren't issues. Now, if it was not working, than that would be a different story, but it is working as advertised.

Wow.. the bias on this article is to the roof.

Scratching the bucket by anti-Microsoft.

First of all, manufacture errors happens with all products, yes it sucks but that is life. All manufacture including Apple.

The device already had a firmware update replacing the beta drivers delivered by many manufacture such as Intel (which by the way still hasn't fully fixed their Win10 driver bugs). So a lot of the issues are all related to Intel.

As for the no quad core CPU... how is this an issue> is it also an issue that all laptops aren't equiped with a octo-core Intel desktop CPU a d GTX 980Ti, with 24h battery life, yet thin as ultrabook, and operates under intense load cool and quite.. please.

Same for the ambient light control backlight keys. You knew what you bougtht, they aren't issues

The cpu issues are valid as when it comes to mobility cpus 99% of people think 4 cores at least when they see i7.

i am tech savy and even i didn't know ultrabook i7s were only dual core. i was thinking of getting one but a dual core won't be enough even for basic every day use for me as i multitask heavily.

The cpu issues are valid as when it comes to mobility cpus 99% of people think 4 cores at least when they see i7.

i am tech savy and even i didn't know ultrabook i7s were only dual core. i was thinking of getting one but a dual core won't be enough even for basic every day use for me as i multitask heavily.

quad core and dual core i7 SKU's are easy to differentiate, (considering this is Intel we are talking about) dual cores have either a U or a Y at the end of the model number like i7 6400U or similar, quad cores have HQ or H at the end being i7 6550HQ or similar. Intel have a guide as to what their SKU naming policy is for each generation, Google it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

A quick google search will help. Seriously you just have to google the CPU name nothing else.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650