Intel launches Greenlow platform: Skylake Xeon E3 1200 v5

The Skylake Xeon E3-1200 V5 lineup which has launched today consists of 11 Xeon processors while three more are going to make their way to the market in 2016, featuring faster graphics processors and embedded DRAM.

Back in August, Intel launched the very first processor based on its newest Skylake architecture, specifically the Core i7 6700K and Core i5 6600K, both of these are quad core chips with a unlock multiplier to allow overclocking. Following that, we got the rest of the line up, all the way down to the entry level Pentium. Today we're going to take a look at the server/workstation side of Skylake, or more specifially Intel Xeon E3 1200 v5. Intel Xeon E3 1200 v5 skylake processors built on the current 14nm process will have a maximum of 4 cores with some models supporting Intel Hyper Threading Technology. It will run on the current Intel 1151 socket, with official support of up to 64GB of DDR4 memory at 1866/2133MHz.and DDR3L at 1333/1600MHz @ 1.35v. Frequency ranges from 2GHz all the way up to 3.7GHz and TDP of 25w to 80w. The processors will consist of 3 product categories. First up there is the Xeon E3 1200 v5 (4+GT0): LGA 1151/4 cores/no igpu. Next up there is the Xeon E3 1200 v5 (4+GT2): LGA 1151/4 cores/Intel P530 graphics, and finally Xeon E3 1200 v5 (4+GT4e), BGA/4 cores/Intel Iris Pro with 64MB eDRAM. Unlike its predecessor, Haswell and Broadwell, where users can Install a Xeon into a motherboard running on a consumer based chipset such as the Intel Z97. It's said that these Skylake Xeons are not compatibe with consumer based chipset like the Intel Z170. When it's installed with a non-compatible chipset, then the system will simply not boot. Not sure if that is true or motherboard makers can do a workaround with a bios update. Official chipset support for these Xeon Skylake cpus are Intel C232 and Intel C236, with BGA cpus only supported on Intel C236.

While a lot of users are using Xeon for their builds, it's cheaper with Core i7 features like Hyper Threading. Intel's move for this might be a good thing, because they probably don't want to have it mixed with thier consumer platforms, as it might defeat the purpose of their Xeon parts as well as any special features that might come with it. A recent survey has revealed that motherboards with green pcb, once unpopular, has started to gain popularity among tech enthusiast. My dream machine was to always have a motherboard with a green pcb.

14v0hdu.jpg

mluoh.jpg

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-xeon-e31200-v5-greenlow-family-launched-workstation-chips-incompatible-100series-desktop-chipsets/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well those are worthless. They won't even let you put it on the z170 (or h110/h170) anymore? Fuck you Intel.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Unlike its predecessor, Haswell and Broadwell, where users can Install a Xeon into a motherboard running on a consumer based chipset such as the Intel Z97. It's said that these Skylake Xeons are not compatibe with consumer based chipset like the Intel Z170. When it's installed with a non-compatible chipset, then the system will simply not boot.

Why Intel? :(

What was the point in doing this?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Another reason to wait for Zen for that single/multi core performance......

Plus Z chipsets are BS when the max Sata ports are only 6 and give you only 20 PCIE lanes...

Well those are worthless. They won't even let you put it on the z170 (or h110/h170) anymore? Fuck you Intel.

Worthless? A large portion of my work's income comes from offering E3-1270 (v1/2/3) servers. They work just fine like this and are worth quite a bit to us.

Another reason to wait for Zen for that single/multi core performance......

Plus Z chipsets are BS when the max Sata ports are only 6 and give you only 20 PCIE lanes...

Wait two years, no thanks.

By the time Zen is out Intel will have something better, AMD's CPU's are nothing but a fun little platform to get hwbot points on..

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

By the time Zen is out Intel will have something better, AMD's CPU's are nothing but a fun little platform to get hwbot points on..

Better than spending 400+ on just board features that are only offered on X Chipsets and not Z Chipsets.

Funny how you say that when Cannonlake is delayed...and there's nothing but Kaby Lake in 2016 that would probably be a Skylake Refresh.

Again it doesn't need to be something better, it just needs to something competitive, Intel probably won't have something much better then skylake by late 2016/early 2017, Kaby lake won't improve much on the architecture and while cannonlake is just a normal tick in intel's schedule.

OT: While that sucks and completely ruins the chip for most of us. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Jesus why is everyone so narrow minded? They're a great step up from the old V3's. The V4's were never a viable option due to MOQ's and generally a short life cycle. The 64GB RAM upgrade will also be great as I've had a number of customers looking for that.

Better than spending 400+ on just board features that are only offered on X Chipsets and not Z Chipsets.

Funny how you say that when Cannonlake is delayed...and there's nothing but Kaby Lake in 2016 that would probably be a Skylake Refresh.

Don't expect much for Zen is all im saying, also I got my board for less than a decent Z97 Board, homie @rtsurfer sold it to me BNIB for $220 + I got a sponsored chip from Silicon Lottery, don't tell me I paid too much for X99 when I paid less than if I was going Skylake..

OR If by a miracle it's good in a year or two Intel will catch upto them and beat them for another 5 years, wash and repeat.

We need something revolutionary like the Phenom and Athlon days. 

Don't expect much for Zen is all im saying, also I got my board for less than a decent Z97 Board, homie @rtsurfer sold it to me BNIB for $220 + I got a sponsored chip from Silicon Lottery, don't tell me I paid too much for X99 when I paid less than if I was going Skylake..

Yeah i know, but i want something that's at least better than my FX. Somewhere around Haswell would be good enough with a cheap motherboard that has more than 6+ Sata ports and 20+ PCIE lanes.

Z97 only allows 6 MAX with 20 PCIE lanes...i need more sata ports but not looking to spend a lot of money just for some extra ports like X99. 

Yeah i know, but i want something that's at least better than my FX. Somewhere around Haswell would be good enough with a cheap motherboard that has more than 6+ Sata ports and 20+ PCIE lanes.

Z97 only allows 6 MAX with 20 PCIE lanes...i need more sata ports but not looking to spend a lot of money just for some extra ports like X99. 

Just snipe a used X99 SLI Plus and a used 5930K for like $400 for the pair.

Worthless? A large portion of my work's income comes from offering E3-1270 (v1/2/3) servers. They work just fine like this and are worth quite a bit to us.

echo'ng below

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Jesus why is everyone so narrow minded? They're a great step up from the old V3's. The V4's were never a viable option due to MOQ's and generally a short life cycle. The 64GB RAM upgrade will also be great as I've had a number of customers looking for that.

For a system integrator that can pass costs directly off to consumers, sure they have a purpose.

For everyone else with half a brain they don't. And this move directly hurts consumers by locking down the platform. Just like Skylake in the "mainstream line" the v5's are an utter waste of money compared to the v3 and if you really are looking at hardware where the v5s improvements is cost justified then you really should be looking at the e5's anyways.

But hey most people system integrators sell to have no freaking clue that is the case.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Aww. Xeon gaming pc master race is dying.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Aww. Xeon gaming pc master race is dying.

xeons for anything but servers (and even then... e3 servers are less and less competitive now).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

xeons for anything but servers (and even then... e3 servers are less and less competitive now).

Not exactly - The T110's, ML10's and similar are still huge product ranges for HP and Dell. I do understand that less and less businesses are going for on premise servers and instead for the cloud however even then, they still sell great.

Not exactly - The T110's, ML10's and similar are still huge product ranges for HP and Dell. I do understand that less and less businesses are going for on premise servers and instead for the cloud however even then, they still sell great.

Sales=/=competitiveness... But I digress, I guess the 1260L looks to be a fairly interesting part.

It's just extremely frustrating that the c230 series motherboard requirements completely destroys the cost benefits of most of these xeons for small business/amateur servers (not that they will know that. Yay for ignorance.)

Or even the e1230 from it's quite strong general purpose use argument.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Welp that lock down is kinda sucky... I don't really get why they would do that. Also I'm still rocking a e3 1220 v2 in my server

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Just snipe a used X99 SLI Plus and a used 5930K for like $400 for the pair.

If you could find me both for that price I would buy them in a heartbeat. Just saying.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Welp that lock down is kinda sucky... I don't really get why they would do that. Also I'm still rocking a e3 1220 v2 in my server

3 reasons.

1. They can make more money by segregating the market and selling more chipset variants.

2. OEM's can make more money by shoehorning people into better margin products (all server products have MUCH higher profit margins than mainstream).

3. They can prevent significant overclocking through base clock on Z series chipsets by not allowing them to work on Z-series chipsets. Hence keeping their product stack in its "proper" place.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

If you could find me both for that price I would buy them in a heartbeat. Just saying.

great motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128851 

No good deals on a 5930k, but heres a nice deal on a 5820k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i7-5820K-3-3GHz-Haswell-E-LGA-2011-v3-Core-140W-Desktop-Processor-/151854255374?hash=item235b380d0e:g:OCgAAOSw9mFWJEBG

4ghz turbo on a xeon is quite impressive. also 64gb ram is probably appreciated by a lot of people.

i cinda dont care about them not beeing consumer grade cause they never were ment to be and their core i counter parts arent really cheaper.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS