(Rumour) Nintendo could be collaborating closely with AMD to create hardware for the NX console

Mr_Troll

Nintendo forums crunchyg, reports that the NX features very impressive hardware. The development kit indicates that the system will have “incredibly powerful” hardware. Supposedly one demo included with the kit is currently impossible to run at 60fps on a current generation CPU and a “nearly top-of-the-line” graphics card.

The NX is rumored to be launching in 2016, so we can assume that Nintendo is working with AMD, as was previously hinted, to create a custom CPU/GPU combo that can rival cutting edge hardware. It certainly is exciting to see how it turns out, as a Nintendo console or unified platform with that much raw processing power would truly be something magnificent.The NX will likely be revealed at E3 2016, with a potential release for Holiday 2016, at least in some regions. We will bring you any new information on Nintendo’s NX as soon as it becomes available.

Takashi Mochizuki, in response to NintenGen requesting some clarification on the “Industry Leading” hardware claim, explained:

Hello David,

The quick answer is “I don’t know.” Sorry!

-Several people who said who have seen a demo said what they saw is impossible to run on a computer without a “industry-leading” or “cutting-edge” hardware. Cutting-edge in what way, they refused to elaborate.
-And an important thing to remember, probably you know well already, is that chip specs won’t be finalized until much closer date to the release.

hope this helps, and plz ask me follow-up questions if you have.

thanks.

Seems unlikely. But from the looks of it nintendo is just jelly because how succesfull the ps4 and the xbone is.. so their want their own piece of cake.

Source: http://wccftech.com/nintendos-nx-will-feature-incredibly-powerful-hardware-software-demo-impossible-to-run-at-60fps-on-top-of-the-line-pc-hardware/

http://www.nintendoforums.com/threads/nintendo-nx-will-have-incredibly-powerful-hardware.1963/

http://www.nintengen.com/2015/10/nintendo-nx-tech-demo-not-able-to-run.html?m=1

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Cutting Edge Hardware + AMD? 

post-217715-0-06066900-1445241721.jpg

Cutting Edge Hardware + AMD? 

attachicon.gifkidding.jpg

You just doused this thread with gasoline  thermite

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You just doused this thread with gasoline  thermite

Oh...

I was going for Magnesium Shavings (THOSE THINGS ARE STUPID EXPLOSIVE) but okay.

(Either way I'm stating the obvious here)

AMD was only on the cutting edge when they were competing with Intel, and they haven't done that in a very long time.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It's not a question of how cutting edge AMD is or isn't on the high end compared to Intel.

Console hardware is nowhere close to being limited by AMD's tech. It's limited by the budget and the maximum selling price.

If AMD gives Nintendo a new console with GCN 1.2 and Zen cores it will leave the PS4 and the Xbone in the dust.

It's not a question of how cutting edge AMD is or isn't on the high end compared to Intel.

Console hardware is nowhere close to being limited by AMD's tech. It's limited by the budget and the maximum selling price.

If AMD gives Nintendo a new console with GCN 1.2 and Zen cores it will leave the PS4 and the Xbone in the dust.

Actually its limited by current TDPs, heat output and space inside of a living room box.

You don't think Sony coulda built a small form factor PC with a R9 290 and a FX8350 in it? Sure they could have but then it would be much larger than what people want from a box that lives under their TVs, create way to much noise to be a living room box and throw out enough heat to heat a small town for the winter.

Heck even budget isn't really a factor, I mean Steam Machines are retailing at $300 upto $1000.

Its gonna be funny as fuck if Nintendo do drop an uber powerful console next year that clean blows the XB1 & PS4 away. What a turn around that would be.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Heck even budget isn't really a factor, I mean Steam Machines are retailing at $300 upto $1000.

Different business model. With steam machines every hardware partner sells the machine at a profit, which is the priority, even if it means less units sold. And they are PC parts which can be resold as such if they are not moving. Each vendor probably plans to sell only small quantities and maintain a niche market. And then come out with Gen2, sell a few more etc..

The console business model is to sell the hardware as cheap as possible to gain the maximum market share as quickly as possible sacrificing margins there so that you can make money later from game sales.

You don't think Sony coulda built a small form factor PC with a R9 290 and a FX8350 in it? Sure they could have but then it would be much larger than what people want from a box that lives under their TVs, create way to much noise to be a living room box and throw out enough heat to heat a small town for the winter.

There was no GPU as fast as a 290 at the time. Maybe they could have put a 7970 equivalent GPU and a slightly faster CPU in there with some decent cooling. You don't need very fast CPUs for console gaming with their low level graphics APIs. But I don't think Sony or Microsoft wanted to sell $900 consoles.

Love this. Even die hard Nintendo site don't buy it. Why? because it comes from some kid on some forum.

Please check your sources.

Quote from source:

Specifically, one software demo included with the kit crunches so many polygons that it's currently impossible to run at 60fps using a current-generation Intel (we're assuming a Core i7 Skylake) CPU and a nearly top-of-the-line graphics card (no specifics provided, but they probably used a single graphics card).

So, best source1 I can find using polygons/second (although it's a horribly outdated measurement) says a GTX 970 does about 3.64 billion polygons per second, which can be calculated by doing 3097 triangles per clock times the stock boost clock of 1,178,000 Hz. A PS4 can do 1.6 billion. Then again, a GTX 690 does only 2 billion2, so polygons is really a horrible metric. What I think we can take away from this is that they're just quoting polygons/sec because it's actually a terrible indicator of real world performance, not to say that it won't be powerful, just that they're making it look more impressive than it is.

1. http://www.hardware.fr/articles/928-4/performances-theoriques-geometrie.html

2. http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?85163-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-690

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

If Nintento wants to Wow us they need to make a console capable of 4k gaming, even if its stable 30fps and only in their first party games  they still wont be bullshitting

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Can I get some sort of compensation for this post making me roll my eyes so hard that they fell out of my head?

i7 3820 -- 8 GB RAM -- Zotac GTX 970

Snip

If the PC demo was running on DX11 or OpenGL4.x in an artificial scenario to push a ridiculous number of objects then it's very believable that they got CPU bottlenecked and outperformed by a console. Only way around this on PC is to use Vulkan or DX12.

Not getting into the AMD discussion.

But the 2016 release is BS. They just starting sending out the dev kits. Unless they launch with only 1st party games there is no way they can launch in 2016. Developers have no time to make anything but ports with that window.

I say E3 2016 reveal but launch Spring 2017 the earliest (Fall sounds more likely)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Not getting into the AMD discussion.

But the 2016 release is BS. They just starting sending out the dev kits. Unless they launch with only 1st party games there is no way they can launch in 2016. Developers have no time to make anything but ports with that window.

I say E3 2016 reveal but launch Spring 2017 the earliest (Fall sounds more likely)

I agree.

I think the only possible, is not 1 game as you suggest but rather:

They release 2 first party title, and also the console continues to support WiiU games (with no graphical advantage). To me it is only way to make it release end of 2016.

Heck even budget isn't really a factor, I mean Steam Machines are retailing at $300 up to $1000.

Then why was one of the only things I heard about the PS3 when it launched complaints about it's price? And it was only $600.

Budget is one of the biggest factors. If it's too expensive, people won't even give it a chance. And just because they're retailing up to that, doesn't mean a lot are going to be sold at that price.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Love this. Even die hard Nintendo site don't buy it. Why? because it comes from some kid on some forum.

Please check your sources.

But what if the kid's uncle works at Nintendo?  ;)

I agree.

I think the only possible, is not 1 game as you suggest but rather:

They release 2 first party title, and also the console continues to support WiiU games (with no graphical advantage). To me it is only way to make it release end of 2016.

Nintendo, as a company that has been falling behind on the home console side, should wait for 3rd parties and delay launch. If they launch with only ports and 1-2 Mario games they risk another so-so console generation. I would consider buying a nintendo console again if they took the time to make something good instead of a mid powered console targeted towards casual gamers.

Then why was one of the only things I heard about the PS3 when it launched complaints about it's price? And it was only $600.

Budget is one of the biggest factors. If it's too expensive, people won't even give it a chance. And just because they're retailing up to that, doesn't mean a lot are going to be sold at that price.

Yup budget is what killed Xbone this generation. Launching $100 more than PS4 and people didn't have to think hard about which console they will buy. Even Xbox's head said their launch price point was a major reason for Xbox falling so far behind.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Who else are Nintendo going to go to? If they don't have similar hardware to xbane and ps4 then Nintendo haven't learned their lesson yet.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Who else are Nintendo going to go to? If they don't have similar hardware to xbane and ps4 then Nintendo haven't learned their lesson yet.

I think Nintendo is a little delusional and stuck thinking their model is working. But at the same time it looks like they are doing a potentially smart thing and focusing on a mobile hybrid console (but might limit power if too mobil focused). Because at this point even if they do match PS4 Xbone in specs, they are matching consoles that will be 2-3 years old by NX launch (which the mistake they made with the WiiU). 

2016... i see Zen Nintendo machine coming  :rolleyes: