Nvidia using others builds on Instagram without credit.

BURNINGJUNK

Twitter user @Mnpctech found Nvidia using images of his build and others on their instagram account without giving credit.

@Mnpctech on Twitter: Deplorable @nvidia sharing PCs without crediting. Not only mine, I see others not credited on @instagram

Like mncptech says in the Instagram post seen in the image below, I don't see how hard it is to find a source for the image. Using these images on social media for their own benefit without credit to the builder is ridiculous. i just wanted to let everybody know that this was happening. I hope that Nvidia will come to their senses and remove or at least edit the posts and include credit where credit is due.

Sources:

• @Mnpctech on Twitter
  • Original Tweet Link
  • Sorry for no news source. Couldn't find one right now. WIll add one if I can find one.

CRhG_TbUEAEK0TZ.jpg

Original Build Guide

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

If they blatantly just reuploaded the photo, then they're in the wrong.

If they took a picture of a PC at a convention, I don't see the big deal.

From what I have read so far they are taking images from forms and other websites. I believe that the image above was taken by the builder himself. I will do some more research right now.

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

It would still be good manners of them to credit the original builder, especially for such a brand as Nvidia

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

It would still be good manners of them to credit the original builder, especially for such a brand as Nvidia

It's more than that, you can't just take someone else's commercial work and use it for your own commercial purposes. It's illegal.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'm confused... You can literally buy this same case on the Deepcool site...

http://www.deepcool.com/product/gamerstorm/2015-09/6_4050.shtml

And they say "#Deepcool" in the Caption...

And why not link to the Post, OP?

https://instagram.com/p/86u1LzDpaE/?taken-by=nvidia

By this logic of "I designed a product that's being sold and the company that I sold the right to sell it to was given credit and I wasn't" then what's the issue?

From what I have read so far they are taking images from forms and other websites. I believe that the image above was taken by the builder himself. I will do some more research right now.

Always post before doing research...

This is the post he made of it on his site ... http://mnpctech.com/deepcool-tristellar-reactor-gaming-pc-case-mod.html

That picture isn't on there (That I saw I just did a quick skim through)

This picture has similar things in the background to the one in the Nvidia picture. (Keyboard, and the blue and white in back left).

deepcool_mnpctech_bill_owen_quakcon_2015

This was at Quake Con tho. Which means Nvidia could have taken the picture themselves. 

Edited by niofalpha

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Because this does not include a news link and a user(even if they're an Industry Affiliate) is making a claim which we cannot substantiate on the post alone, this is being moved to General Discussion.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

"We approve of the #GPU display in this #Deepcool Tristellar case"

What exactly are we supposed to be upset about? They posted a picture of an Nvidia GPU inside a Deepcool case. 

I'm confused... You can literally buy this same case on the Deepcool site...

http://www.deepcool.com/product/gamerstorm/2015-09/6_4050.shtml

And they say "#Deepcool" in the Caption...

And why not link to the Post, OP?

https://instagram.com/p/86u1LzDpaE/?taken-by=nvidia

By this logic of "I designed a product that's being sold and the company that I sold the right to sell it to was given credit and I wasn't" then what's the issue?

Always post before doing research...

While it is a limited edition custom version of the case done by Bill Owen I have to agree that crediting Deepcool is probably enough in this case being that they are the "owner" of the product even if it was in partnership with Bill Owen, it wouldn't hurt to tag him too but in this case its not like its a personal custom build, if there are others that are personal custom builds then I would agree the builder should be tagged where possable.

Well for one, the case has nothing special done to it. The case is literally stock. I don't see what the fuss is about with it, especially in that regard. 

Secondly, they do give credit on the other modded builds they posted if they didn't do it themselves.

It's more than that, you can't just take someone else's commercial work and use it for your own commercial purposes. It's illegal.

It's not illegal since they don't make any money off of posting that picture.

the moment you add YOUR OWN FUCKING LOGO ontop of it, you "claim it" as yours...

if you had actually modded a case, to the extent the "victim" has. you would be pissed.... case modders create "art"... it takes A LOT of time to do stuff like this.

I do not care if it is Nvidia or whoever does this. This is just sickening. As a content creator myself (i make desktop wallpapers from time to time), this pisses me off.

the moment you add YOUR OWN FUCKING LOGO ontop of it, you "claim it" as yours...

if you had actually modded a case, to the extent the "victim" has. you would be pissed.... case modders create "art"... it takes A LOT of time to do stuff like this.

I do not care if it is Nvidia or whoever does this. This is just sickening. As a content creator myself (i make desktop wallpapers from time to time), this pisses me off.

You need to calm the fuck down mate

That case is not modded. It literally comes like that straight from Deepcool. Secondly, adding a logo on top of the picture doesn't claim ownership, they did it because the configuration has an Nvidia GPU in it, and they pretty much do it for nearly every image when the device features an Nvidia chip.

Whoever is claiming that they're being the victim here is an idiot. They put a PC together that got displayed at an event and the company that makes the GPU featured it on their Instagram. Holy shit I'd be fookin pissed too mate. I hate it when big companies take pictures of my simply-put-together PC and feature it on their Instagram.  :rolleyes:

WHAT pisses you off? This is not a picture of a custom casemod, it's a bone fucking stock Deepcool Tristellar with an Nvidia GPU inside it. 

Keep it civil people.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Keep it civil people.

Exactly, it only a case Y U have to be mad?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Here's something else to think about

mnpctechI don't approve of @Nvidia sharing people's creations without crediting the builders. I see several builds shown on this account and your #nvidiageforce account without the builder's names being mentioned. You're using our work to gain followers, which is advertising for your brand. People spend a great deal of time and money creating their custom PCs. The build on this post is my creation. It would have taken less than 30 secs to google who created it. http://mnpctech.com/deepcool-tristellar-reactor-gaming-pc-case-mod.html

This guy is using the words "creations", "creating", whatever.

They didn't "create" this PC. They put some parts together. You don't use any meaning of "create" interchangeably with "make".

mnpctech is full of himself and should feel bad

Edited by Godlygamer23

Here's something else to think about

This guy is using the words "creations", "creating", whatever.

They didn't "create" this PC. They put some parts together. You don't use any meaning of "create" interchangeably with "make".

mnpctech is full of himself and should feel bad

Look at the synonyms for "make" according to Dictionary.com. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/make?s=t

Edited by Godlygamer23

Look at the synonyms for "make" according to Dictionary.com. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/make?s=t

I don't personally agree with those definitions since that's literally the same definition as the word create - they shouldn't have the same definition as one another because one needs to mean something different.

Make should mean something along the lines of "putting something together", and create would mean "bring something into existence", or something along those lines.

Even so, my point is he looks like a tool.

So I'm guessing nearly everyone here didn't even bother to look at the info the OP provided and started keyboard mashing frantically...

From what I gather, this blue/white case is actually originally a deep cool case that's pretty much all black. Then a dude called Bill Owen built his own outer shell for the case. To which he showed off at a con. Deep cool then recognized his work and commercialized it, although only 50 case exists. This Bill Owen dude, is mnpctech. So no, he did not just buy a case and showed it off... He modified a case and showed it off, which was so good Deep cool themselves made it purchasable.

That out of the way,

This makes no sense. Say you made a game, then someone else downloaded, played, and recorded gameplay of it. He then uploaded it to youtube with his logo slapped on it with no mention whatsoever to the creator... No big deal eh?

It's someone else's work no matter how you showed it off. Either take a photo yourself or use someone else's photo, doesn't matter. It's their work and Nvidia must respect and credit the creator. For a random instagram person, he/she would probably think Nvidia commissioned this build from the looks of the post, which obviously isn't the case. 

So I'm guessing nearly everyone here didn't even bother to look at the info the OP provided and started keyboard mashing frantically...

From what I gather, this blue/white case is actually originally a deep cool case that's pretty much all black. Then a dude called Bill Owen built his own outer shell for the case. To which he showed off at a con. Deep cool then recognized his work and commercialized it, although only 50 case exists. This Bill Owen dude, is mnpctech. So no, he did not just buy a case and showed it off... He modified a case and showed it off, which was so good Deep cool themselves made it purchasable.

That out of the way,

This makes no sense. Say you made a game, then someone else downloaded, played, and recorded gameplay of it. He then uploaded it to youtube with his logo slapped on it with no mention whatsoever to the creator... No big deal eh?

It's someone else's work no matter how you showed it off. Either take a photo yourself or use someone else's photo, doesn't matter. It's their work and Nvidia must respect and credit the creator. For a random instagram person, he/she would probably think Nvidia commissioned this build from the looks of the post, which obviously isn't the case. 

So if I'm understanding this correctly, DeepCool now manufactures the case for anyone to buy?

So what is mnpctechI going to do, troll every posting of the case and demand for credit?

This isn't the same as someone posting gameplay of a game with their logo on the video.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, DeepCool now manufactures the case for anyone to buy?

So what is mnpctechI going to do, troll every posting of the case and demand for credit?

This isn't the same as someone posting gameplay of a game with their logo on the video.

Hmm well this is indeed a unique situation. I'm not bothered to find when Nvidia posted the picture but if it was before it went into mass production then I'd say a credit would be necessary. Although if it was after, I'd still say a credit would be nice but not as big as a deal as before.

Well for one, the case has nothing special done to it. The case is literally stock. I don't see what the fuss is about with it, especially in that regard.

Secondly, they do give credit on the other modded builds they posted if they didn't do it themselves.

It's not illegal since they don't make any money off of posting that picture.

Eh, they post it to increase brand value, and brand value is worth real dollars.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

As long as the mod creator got something from deep cool before they made his case commercial, it's fine. As for nVidia, quote your sources.

/thread

My Tristellar case mod/build link, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/393416-deepcool-tristellar-pc-case-mod/

I see it as a courtesy when I share people's work on my social media channels. I do believe Nvidia can and should set a good example for everyone who follows them. I recognized four other uncredited builds from other events on their page, where the builder's name was displayed right next to the build. Is it really that hard to add their name to the description, and make their day? I notified Nvidia of the names of those builders. They did fix the description for my build over the weekend.

17 years of helping you void your warranty