Microsoft reveals upgrade paths to Windows 10

GoodBytes

A blog post on Microsoft's Australia Partner Network offered new detailed on the upgrade path to Windows 10.

It states that:

-> As we know already, but Microsoft wants to make it clear to eevryone: Windows 10 will be available for free as a limited time offer, for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 users, including Windows Phone 8.1 users with supported phones. After 1 year, the offer will end, and upgrading to Windows 10 for those who didn't, will be like before, you need to buy it.

-> Windows 7 Home and Windows 8 non-Pro users, will get Windows 10 Home.

-> Windows 8/8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate get upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. There is no Windows 10 Ultimate.

-> The upgrade offer excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices

-> The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update (NOT the App Store like Windows 8 to 8.1). This means if you re-install Windows, you need to install your Windows 7/8/8.1, and then upgrade to Windows 10; Currently there is no information on ISO download. Domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

-> This is important: Windows 10 Pro for small and lower mid-size businesses, available under the free upgrade. More details on this isn't mentioned yet (#of employees, etc.), but this is excellent news.

Windows 10 Home for consumers and BYOD scenarios, available under the free upgrade

Windows 10 Pro for small and lower mid-size businesses, available under the free upgrade

Windows 10 Enterprise for Mid-size and large enterprises, available under VL

Windows 10 Education designed to meet the needs of schools – teachers, students, staff, and administrators, available under VL

Windows 10 Mobile for consumer, small, mid-size and large enterprises and academic institutions, available under OEM

Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise for mid-size and large enterprises with IoT scenarios, available under OEM (IoT), VL

Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.

Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium devices upgrade to Windows 10 Home

Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device

Excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices

The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update; domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through WSUS.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-spells-out-upgrade-paths-windows-10

Around July

<THE SILENT ASSASSIN>CPU(Intel i5-4690K)||COOLER(corsair H100i)||MOB(asus Maximus VII Hero ATX)||RAM(16gb of corsair vengeance)||STORAGE(Intel 530 128gb)(Samsung 850 Pro 500gb)(WD 2tb Black)||GRAPHICS(2 x Asus strix 970)||CASE(Nzxt H440)||PSU(Corsair RM750W)>http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Bbpbt6

I suspect it will be soon if they are announcing all of this now. Also, I'd like to have the option to clean install rather than having to do Windows Update to get from 7 to 10.

On top of that that would be possible for free only in the first year...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

When upgrading windows 10 through windows update will it give the option to format the drive you're installing to just like when doing a clean install?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So what do i do after a year of having win10 based on my old win8.1 but then i want to reinstall it, but only have my 8.1 USB stick around? Am i fucked?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Still no info about what happens when you reinstall the OS after the free upgrade expires, but you had upgrade it during the free period. Does your current COA some how gets send to MS so it registers as a Win8 and Win10 key?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So what do i do after a year of having win10 based on my old win8.1 but then i want to reinstall it, but only have my 8.1 USB stick around? Am i fucked?

Im sure your activation key gets notified as a windows 10 upgrade. So when you activate it on windows 8 after clean install, you'll get an update to windows 10. Even after a year.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

what i wanna know is, if its possible to upgrade doing a clean install using an ISO and use the same key that came with 7 or 8/8.1 i always do that with new os upgrades, to fully clean the junk of the old os in the drive

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I suspect it will be soon if they are announcing all of this now. Also, I'd like to have the option to clean install rather than having to do Windows Update to get from 7 to 10.

It would be nice if they have a website where you can enter your Windows 7/8.x key and get a ISO and give you a new Windows 10 key to go with it. Hopefully they will have something like that.

But if not Windows 8.x has a "Refresh my PC" feature where it reverts it to essentially 100% clean install without having to actually do a clean install the old fashion way. Then from that you could do the upgrade.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Ok what about this; when I upgrade to it from older retail OS which haves it's key, will I get W10 key or will current one be validated as W10 key. I'm asking this cause I'd like to know will upgrading older OS give me license of W10 so I can do clean instal?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

quite a lot of people with W7 / W8(.1) PRO / Ultimate will be very pissed when they get W10 Home

I was wrong! 

• Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

i'm just interested if my games will run on it from day 1

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

When upgrading windows 10 through windows update will it give the option to format the drive you're installing to just like when doing a clean install?

I was going to ask the same thing ... If I put 8.1 on my HDD then get SSD would I be able to format Windows 10 to my SSD ?

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

If they still offer a way to create a System Image, there is almost no reason to reinstall your older OS and then re-upgrade to Windows 10.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i'm just interested if my games will run on it from day 1

here's one for ya': TW3 cannot start on my system with W7 x64 - it spews out a generic APP crash 1-2sec after I double click on the desktop icon; still haven't figured out what's going on

at the same time, running the game from the exact same installation folder (didn't even bothered reinstalling the game) on W10 x64 preview, runs flawlessly

about the only thing that really annoys me on W10 is the start menu that mimics a Nokia Lumia Windows Phone - it absolutely drives me crazy

I was going to ask the same thing ... If I put 8.1 on my HDD then get SSD would I be able to format Windows 10 to my SSD ?

You just have to reinstall 8.1 on the SSD using your CD, ISO etc. Then windows update will update it to Windows 10. 

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Well, I was originally planning on doing a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop, but it looks like that would be pointless unless I use my Dreamspark key.

You just have to reinstall 8.1 on the SSD using your CD, ISO etc. Then windows update will update it to Windows 10. 

Aw man ... Now I have to replace the HDD to SSD in my build now :/

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Does Mac OS do these multiple versions too ?!

Why cant there be just 2 - Pro and Business. Done !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Cool, I have a couple of Windows 7 Pro keys just hanging around that I could use to upgrade. I just need to get myself a new HDD or maybe upgrade to an SSD first. If I don't like Win10, oh well, I use Linux for everything but gaming anyways so I won't miss much (or I will just reinstall using another Win7 key and wait for Win11, hoping it will be better).

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device

What if you upgrade your CPU and motherboard? Wouldn't that count as an entirely new device though technically not.

Lets say Windows 10 will come out before December, I will upgrade my CPU and motherboard on December, do I need to do that annoying 'call Microsoft and tell them I upgraded my PC so they should reactivate my Windows key' thing?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

When games won't even be optimised to work with win 10...

Some people are gaming on the work-in-progress Windows 10 right now and reported an increase in framerate. (5-10FPS)

And no DX12 yet, so I imagine there would be another small boost to existing DX11 games if there is a DX12 update.

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/2i7whx/how_is_gaming_on_windows_10/

EDIT:  Technical preview of Windows 10 I mean.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU