I recently found out that Canadians are bad tippers

Sammael

I was reading some article asking who were the worst tippers, and apparently the comments exploded with servers from the world over mouthing off.

Check through this gold mine at your leisure, it's a great read, no filter on the comments.

http://waiterrant.net/2009/11/who-are-the-worst-tippers/

Now I've known that apparently black people tend to be terrible tippers, as such, being part black myself I feel impelled to make up for my low class brethren, but there were terms I never knew about.  Sometimes servers would give nicknames to black people who came in, "Canadians."  Apparently that means bad tipper ~ "What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?  A canoe tips!"

wow, never knew.  ANSWER for yourselves hockey nation!

Another one I was not aware of are church people, terrible tippers according to servers.  And immigrants and tourists from overseas with a few exceptions (French).

But it's not all bad, apparently we gay people are some of the best tippers.  Oh, and jews seem to tip well.

Anyway, I find this kind of stuff fascinating.  It does not apply to all members of a group obviously, but servers collectively see large data sets of people and see trends.  When the trends are repeated over and over you probably have something real.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

In canada we make more than $2/hr for being a server

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

No, the reason for lower tips is because the waiters actually get paid more than minimum wage, and a fair rate before tips

This has to be some kind of discrimination.

It's like saying "Oh one guy in Canada doesn't tip well, so none of them do!" Is basically the same as saying "A Muslim guy crashed a plane! They're all terrorists!"

Why does one person speak for an entire nation?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

And in Australia we don't tip at all. 

Well, except a few who tip their fedoras that is. 

Tipping imo is a stupid way of earning money, just increase the wage -_-

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

In canada we make more than $2/hr for being a server

Yeah I don't understand why it's polite to tip servers. Just raise the price of the food by 15+% and pay the servers a living wage!

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

And in Australia we don't tip at all. 

Well, except a few who tip their fedoras that is. 

Tipping imo is a stupid way of earning money, just increase the wage -_-

I kind of agree, but "Murica" = living wage = communism.  As such servers get below minimum wage in the expectation that people will fill the gaps with tips.  I've never had a tip job but I always made sure to tip because peoples livelihood in the US depends on that with those types of jobs.

So remember fureners, in the US a "living wage" is for stalinists!  so make sure to tip to compensate for the tea party types and church goers who will simultaneously vote against living wages and not tip.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Here no one really tips because as with quite a few other countries the minimum wage is enough to live off.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I tip more than 1/3 the total cost of the meal sometimes... When I eat out money just flies outta my pocket... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

also in canada 10% is a normal tip.  15% is a lot.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

really ? i always tip 10% or so of the bill depending on how the service was  

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I agree with @DIV1D3

Tipping is the most third world thing that America does. Why isn't it included in the meal price? You tell me.

This is one of the few positive aspects of Australia I suppose.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I'm Canadian and when I go for my $17.99 haircut i tip $20. So I tip over 100%

(US)

I don't do any % based tipping.

I'll tip $2-$3 and that is it, I'm not tipping more just because the place charges more money for their food.

If the service was un freaking believable then maybe I'll tip a little more.

A tip is something you earn, not something you're entitled to.

is it a must?

it doesn't matter for any profession, tipping is like donation.

the problem is... most people from america didn't think that way.

if you own a business and have employe, it is your duty to pay your helper, not the customer.

most place/busines practice in my country giving tip is not allowed, because it tends make the employee slacking off from their work if they didn't get a tip.

I just don't really understand how thing like that could exist.

Tipping is horrible IMO it only benefits the business.

I was in america once and on the reciept they added $10 because they think they earned it, they got nothing from us. 

I've heard from a lot of cab drivers in NYC that they always have to tell people from Europe we have a thing called 'tipping' here.  Seems odd to tip cabbies as I think they make more than wait staff, but I'm really not actually sure.

This whole thing reminds me of this:

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

Holy shit the tipping system looks like some serious bullshit.

I'm not really sure I feel sorry for some of the waiters though, it's as if you don't tip, you're an asshole. I mean, they're in a shitty situation, but it's not the customers fault.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Tipping is horrible IMO it only benefits the business.

I was in america once and on the reciept they added $10 because they think they earned it, they got nothing from us. 

It is a terrible practice, but you have to remember that because of tipping, servers are "allowed" to be paid well under minimum wage. And then the government has a ****ing audacity to turn around and ask them to claim their tips, so they can be taxed on it. Which is just flatout wrong because that's not income, it's a charitable donation, nothing more. When I worked at domino's, me and the other drivers flatout refused to claim anything on our tips. Management tried to tell us we had to claim something, we responded "go ahead, push this issue, see how well your business does with no delivery drivers". They backed off.

Tipping IS a horrible practice, it needs to end, and servers need to be paid a decent wage. Companies like domino's need to pay for maintenance and gas on their drivers vehicles. I destroyed my car driving for that company, and I got laid off for my hard work. (totalled my car in an accident that wasn't my fault, was offered 5 hours a week inside.....at $6.75 an hour, which wouldn't even cover the cost of gas for borrowing my moms car to get to work, not like I was gonna deliver in her car either). That, or pizza delivery places need to provide a vehicle for their employees.

Holy shit the tipping system looks like some serious bullshit.

I'm not really sure I feel sorry for some of the waiters though, it's as if you don't tip, you're an asshole. I mean, they're in a shitty situation, but it's not the customers fault.

Oh yes the hell it is the customers fault some of the time. I've delivered to downright assholes who wouldn't give you a damned penny, even if you got there blindingly fast, and they're rich. It's okay though, they got put on the "warm 2 liter" list. Which meant that when they ordered a 2 liter, they got a nice warm one out of the back, rather than the refrigerator.

Some of them do it because they think gratuity is still a thing, where the tip is added onto the bill, which is not legal anymore, at least not in Virginia. You can tip with your credit/debit card, but you have to put in the amount, businesses are no longer allowed to add it in on their own, and the $1..25 that domino's charges for delivery, does not go to the delivery driver.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

In italy there are no tips, except the occasional one like: 29,00€, you give him 30€ and they can keep the buck, but nothing special.

In italy there are no tips, except the occasional one like: 29,00€, you give him 30€ and they can keep the buck, but nothing special.

But what do they get paid per hour? Is there a minimum? Remember that in the states, government and companies assume you will get tipped, which is why servers get paid so poorly. Why? Because people in congress are people that have never worked real jobs. Or actually worked for that matter.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Tipping isn't a universal thing. One of my high school teachers took a few trips to Japan, and it's regarded as downright offensive to tip, ie "How dare you think bad about my boss as to feel obligated to supplement my pay!" type if thing. (Not exact wording, forgive me if I'm innaccurate)

[witty signature]

Neither are there any tips in here. And if we do that same thing (telling to keep the rest of the money given, like your example of giving 30€ for a 29€ bill), the extra cash would most likely end up in the company's pockets. Doesn't matter much though, waiters are paid at the very least the minimum wage (but usually more) over here. Summer workers can get themselves ripped off and work bellow the minimum wage (applies to all jobs that allow summer workers, particularly under aged can be prone to this), but even then the pay should be enough to sustain oneself well enough.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Depends where you're from in Canada and your upbringing. As normal, different people have different values.

I was taught that you tip 20% for good service, and 15% for decent service. If you get exceptional service then you tip whatever you want >=20%.

also in canada 10% is a normal tip. 15% is a lot.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB