I recently found out that Canadians are bad tippers

Sammael

Depends where you're from in Canada and your upbringing. As normal, different people have different values.

I was taught that you tip 20% for good service, and 15% for decent service. If you get exceptional service then you tip whatever you want >=20%.

yep!!!  I pretty much go with that rule.  In my case however I tend to tip the pretty waiters a bit more. ;)

Yeah I don't understand why it's polite to tip servers. Just raise the price of the food by 15+% and pay the servers a living wage!

Well, I lie how Canada has it, most get paid just under min wage and then the rest is from tips. Only need like a 5% increase, then let people determine if they should tip.

Depends where you're from in Canada and your upbringing. As normal, different people have different values.

I was taught that you tip 20% for good service, and 15% for decent service. If you get exceptional service then you tip whatever you want >=20%.

Same here, anything less than decent I tend to tip the smallest amount of cash I have on me. But for Tims coffee I tip normally $1.10 

I was reading some article asking who were the worst tippers, and apparently the comments exploded with servers from the world over mouthing off.

Check through this gold mine at your leisure, it's a great read, no filter on the comments.

http://waiterrant.net/2009/11/who-are-the-worst-tippers/

Now I've known that apparently black people tend to be terrible tippers, as such, being part black myself I feel impelled to make up for my low class brethren, but there were terms I never knew about.  Sometimes servers would give nicknames to black people who came in, "Canadians."  Apparently that means bad tipper ~ "What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?  A canoe tips!"

wow, never knew.  ANSWER for yourselves hockey nation!

Another one I was not aware of are church people, terrible tippers according to servers.  And immigrants and tourists from overseas with a few exceptions (French).

But it's not all bad, apparently we gay people are some of the best tippers.  Oh, and jews seem to tip well.

Anyway, I find this kind of stuff fascinating.  It does not apply to all members of a group obviously, but servers collectively see large data sets of people and see trends.  When the trends are repeated over and over you probably have something real.

I sure I will get some shit for this but... why the hell do we have to tip? Like those places that expect you to tip. Should be up to me to decide if I want to or not. Plus why is that its only certain jobs what feel like they need to be tipped for. I dont get tips in my job!

I do tip when I get good service but to be honest its only because its the "norm".

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Not much tipping in the UK they may be a bowl at the counter for tips thats the most you get out of us brits

Same here, anything less than decent I tend to tip the smallest amount of cash I have on me. But for Tims coffee I tip normally $1.10

From what I've read a small tip is better than no tip for bad service.

Have the people replying to that site maybe consider that they've given poor service to people?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

From what I've read a small tip is better than no tip for bad service.

Have the people replying to that site maybe consider that they've given poor service to people?

I mean like a penny or a nickel just to show I didn't forget but decided their service was terrible. Only ever done that 6 times.

But what do they get paid per hour? Is there a minimum? Remember that in the states, government and companies assume you will get tipped, which is why servers get paid so poorly. Why? Because people in congress are people that have never worked real jobs. Or actually worked for that matter.

Yep there's a minimum wage, you get paid that amount no matter what, I don't know the exact amount, but it's not that high :)

Yep there's a minimum wage, you get paid that amount no matter what, I don't know the exact amount, but it's not that high :)

Yeah when I was a delivery driver, we got 6.75 an hour, plus .75 cents per delivery, "plus tips"(which were shit in the shitty ass city this was in). At the end of the night I would barely cover the gas I had spend. Would frequently go home almost on E, have to borrow money from the register to get more gas the next day, then have to pay that back at the end of the night and end up on E again.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I know when I'm in the US, I have to remember to tip the waiting staff. Usually i just tip whatever seems fair.

When I worked as a waiter, the tip didn't even go to the waiter/waitress. The restaurant collected the money and it could then be won at the annuel christmas party. Everyone thought that was fair. 

I guess that's what you get for paying people 20$/h.

And tipping is hard, man. In the US it's pretty much theft if your don't tip, and in places like iceland and Japan it's seen as rude to tip. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I know when I'm in the US, I have to remember to tip the waiting staff. Usually i just tip whatever seems fair.

When I worked as a waiter, the tip didn't even go to the waiter/waitress. The restaurant collected the money and it could then be won at the annuel christmas party. Everyone thought that was fair. 

I guess that's what you get for paying people 20$/h.

And tipping is hard, man. In the US it's pretty much theft if your don't tip, and in places like iceland and Japan it's seen as rude to tip. 

Yeah in the US it's actually illegal (at least in Virginia it is) for the business to take the tips from the wait staff. Although they can make their staff refuse to accept tips, then they have to pay full minimum wage though.

Yeah in the US it's actually illegal (at least in Virginia it is) for the business to take the tips from the wait staff. Although they can make their staff refuse to accept tips, then they have to pay full minimum wage though.

The US tip system gets more and more complicated. If the customer isn't legally required to pay tips, then how can tips be seen as a part of the waiting staffs salary?

And if the business make their staff refuse tips, then what happens if they do accept a tip? How can an agreement between the waiter and the business affect a money transaction between customer and waiter?

It has be extremely stressfull to go to a restaurant in the US on a regular basis.

Just to further explain about the restaurant taking the tips and tipping in Denmark. 

It is not normal for the restaurants to take the money away from the waiting staff. It was just a non-contractual agreement that was made at that specific restaurant. 

You didn't have to give the business the money, but everyone did it.

When I stopped working in the restaurant, I unfortunatly had to stop before the christmas party. The staff and the owner then agreed, that i could get a certain amount of the collected money, becuase I did earn some of it. 

The general rule in Denmark, is that the waiting staff does get to keep the tips given to them. And they don't have to pay taxes on them unless they make more than  7100$/year on tips. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Lots of Indians goes to Canada,its their cheap influence that has affected Canada[emoji14]

The US tip system gets more and more complicated. If the customer isn't legally required to pay tips, then how can tips be seen as a part of the waiting staffs salary?

And if the business make their staff refuse tips, then what happens if they do accept a tip? How can an agreement between the waiter and the business affect a money transaction between customer and waiter?

It has be extremely stressfull to go to a restaurant in the US on a regular basis.

Just to further explain about the restaurant taking the tips and tipping in Denmark. 

It is not normal for the restaurants to take the money away from the waiting staff. It was just a non-contractual agreement that was made at that specific restaurant. 

You didn't have to give the business the money, but everyone did it.

When I stopped working in the restaurant, i unfortunatly had to stop before the christmas party. The staff and the owner then agreed, that i could get a certain amount of the collected money, becuase I did earn some of it. 

The general rule in Denmark, is that the waiting staff does get to keep the tips given to them. And they don't have to pay taxes on them unless they make more than  7100$/year on tips. 

It's not stressful to go into a restaurant, we always leave a tip unless we get shoddy service. As for companies and government considering tips to be apart of your income, it's because people in political positions have never actually held a real job, at least 90% of them haven't. Or they buy into the sociopathic mentality of business these days, which seems to be just as common among members here on the forums, "well they're a business, their goal is to make money, so it's okay!" Regardless of what "it" may happen to be. Unless of course it affects them in some way, then it's terribad.