Pre order empire: The consumer strikes back! Gamers show tendency of curbing their pre order habits

Linusinium

Fewer UK consumers are pre-ordering video games, MCV can reveal.

20 per cent of UK gamers say they are either pre-ordering fewer titles, or have stopped pre-ordering altogether.

This comes from a survey conducted by Ipsos Media’s GameTrack project on behalf of MCV.

Nine per cent of those surveyed said they had cut back on the number of pre-orders over the last 12 months, while 11 per cent said they had not pre-ordered anything despite doing so in the past.

The data also revealed that the UK is the No.1 territory across Europe for pre-orders (23 per cent of gamers say they pre-ordered a title in the last year), but it is also seeing the sharpest decline.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pre-order-crisis-looms-as-3-4m-uk-gamers-hold-off/0148440

About time if you ask me. Continuing down the preorder path erodes the consumer goods value in the long run. Gamestop for example is trying to rally developers to carve up DLC's while the game are still in the drawing board stage.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

about time! everyone needs to stop,... now

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Haven't pre-ordered anything but Skyrim in the past 5 years, so I'm glad to hear it. Though I did pre-order two Skyrim copies :P (one to give as a birthday gift to my brother as it came out the day before his birthday)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm always a little leery when I see statistics quoted. My first question is always what is the person quoting them's agenda? My second is always "exactly what questions were asked?"

I have not preordered a game despite doing so in the past..... I preordered warlords, does that indicate a trend? Yet I'm part of that 11%.

A lecturer walked into my first class instatistics, and stated...."There's lies, damn lies, and statistics"

While I'm glad that people might be preordering less games, I'm also looking at a relatively small sample size, and would be far more interested in tracking steam's preorder sales, than a company that tracked 24,000 "gamers" in a 3 month period.

I'd like to add that the only major title released for preorder in the last 3 months that wasn't available previously (that I can think of) Is GTA V....maybe dying light, but I think that was available back late last year.

I'd like to add that the only major title released for preorder in the last 3 months that wasn't available previously (that I can think of) Is GTA V....maybe dying light, but I think that was available back late last year.

I agree we need to be skeptical of such surveys, however they said the questions where about pre orders over the last 12 months.  So I agree, I'm not too sure how accurate they would be in the end.

From the article:

The reasons cited for this drop included consumers preferring to spend money on other non-gaming items and savvy gamers choosing to ‘wait for prices to come down’.

Interesting and upsetting that half arsed unfinished software wasn't the chief reason.  I am sick of seeing games come out that are sometimes unplayable until the third or fourth update after a month has passed.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I agree we need to be skeptical of such surveys, however they said the questions where about pre orders over the last 12 months.  So I agree, I'm not too sure how accurate they would be in the end.

This project has actually been running since the 3rd quarter of 2012 according to their releases. TL:DR...I didn't check to see if they have changed their questions over time.

http://www.isfe.eu/industry-facts/statistics

I figure it's where they got their baselines from.

faith in pre orderers restored!

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

This project has actually been running since the 3rd quarter of 2012 according to their releases. TL:DR...I didn't check to see if they have changed their questions over time.

http://www.isfe.eu/industry-facts/statistics

well if it's accurate then I am really pissed the chief reason people are not pre-ordering because of cost rather than due to dodgy game releases.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

well if it's accurate then I am really pissed the chief reason people are not pre-ordering because of cost rather than due to dodgy game releases.

Might not have been a tickable option. That's what I mean by stats are only as good as the questions that are asked. If the person asking the questions didn't want that answer, they wouldn't have asked that question.

I can't find a list of the questions asked. the digests just give a breakdown  of potential gamers, as well as a lot of extrapolation with very shaky maths behind it. (people answering a tech questionaire are probably more likely to play games than those that refuse, can you extrapolate 24,000 people out to cover the population of 4 countries?)

Preordering digital games is stupid anyways.

This is only supposed to be to reserve your physical copy because it would be sold out for weeks upon release

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

PCMR guys pretty much stopped all together

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

For PC if you've got a fast internet connection or can wait to play the game for the few hours it takes to download on release day, there is no reason to pre-order a game. Which is also why most new games come with big pre-order incentives including access to content early, getting extra content, or free access to DLC content.

I have to admit that I sometimes do pre-order games in my favorite franchises when it gives me access to content that I know I would have bought anyways.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

From the article:

Interesting and upsetting that half arsed unfinished software wasn't the chief reason.  I am sick of seeing games come out that are sometimes unplayable until the third or fourth update after a month has passed.

Well, why pay full price for unfinished software?

This is a good thing, now if only what we all know will happen, wouldn't happen.

Corporate scumbag #1: "THEY AREN'T PREORDERING AS MUCH, WHAT SHALL WE DO?"

Corporate scumbag #2: "MAKE MORE CONTENT ONLY AVAILABLE WITH PREORDER!"

Corporate scumbag #1:069.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

PCMR guys pretty much stopped all together

No, no they didn't. If there is a group full of more hypocritical bullshit than PCMR, I have yet to find it. Let me show you what happens to all those "don't preorder" and "boycott this game" cries:

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

No, no they didn't. If there is a group full of more hypocritical bullshit than PCMR, I have yet to find it. Let me show you what happens to all those "don't preorder" and "boycott this game" cries:

-snip

At least I can say, I've never purchased a CoD game on PC, nor will I.

And there's been what...how many come out since mw3? (the last one I bought for 360, and hated)

I wonder why.... You don't get cool stuff anymore. GTA iv had a cool safety deposit box, what did GTA v have? Saints row 2 had a cool freckle bitches pizza box, what did SR3 have? Call Of Duty where's my life size exo suit?

I wonder why.... You don't get cool stuff anymore. GTA iv had a cool safety deposit box, what did GTA v have? Saints row 2 had a cool freckle bitches pizza box, what did SR3 have? Call Of Duty where's my life size exo suit?

I did preorder about 3 days before for GTA 5 for the preload, which is something I felt was worthwhile because of the sheer size of the game.

An earlier release date would have solved that problem though.

Lol, and to think I've never pre ordered a game, and wait until all the talk of 'problems' with games goes away before even saving for a game (if I'm going to pay $60+ for a game, I'm going to fucking get what I paid for).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That was in 2009, can you come up with an example that is not 6 years old? Your point is fine but you keep using that stupid pic, yes it was bad it was also a long time ago

-------

Current Rig

-------

That was in 2009, can you come up with an example that is not 6 years old? Your point is fine but you keep using that stupid pic, yes it was bad it was also a long time ago

The idiocy of people who boycott hasn't changed in the past 6 years, the point is valid as is the example. 

Rarely something's worth pre ordering and ofc if it's a physical game copy it's different. But for digital, no reason really. Maybe for pre load if you really must play it day 1 or some bonus. But bonuses are nothing special. Also, there's that, that game won't work properly.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |