Valve's Steam Machines Will Officially Launch In November, Source 2 with Vulkan support announced

ihlagmjhmbttrxffrrzs.png

Gabe's spectacular overreaction to Windows 8 finally has a launch date attached to it. 

I really don't have much more to say, cause I truly struggle to see the point of something thats priced like a console yet has far less game support out of the box and of now requires a decent computer to stream all your games form anyways. 

"Steam Machines will start at the same price point as game consoles, with higher performance," Valve said in a press release today. Well, OK. 

The much-anticipated living room PCs, which have been MIA since Valve officially announced them in early 2014, will officially launch this November alongside a special Steam controller and a device called the Steam Link that will allow for game streaming between multiple PCs or Steam Machines at 1080p/60HZ, according to the folks at Valve. The Steam Link and Steam Controller will each cost $50.

The concept of the Steam Machine has always been a bit nebulous, but essentially, Valve is teaming up with hardware manufacturers to release a variety of different living-room gaming PCs that will be available at various price points. The lowest, it seems, will be in the $350-400 range.

steam_link.0.0.jpg

They also showed off Steam Link, which sounds like Chromecast for Steam. Unless I'm missing something entirely...

Valve will release a new product called Steam Link later this year that will "extend your Steam experience to any room in the house," according to an announcement from the company. Steam Link will work with PCs — including Valve's Steam Machines and Windows, Mac and Linux computers — to stream content from Steam to the device, as long as they're on the same home network.

Steam Link will support 1080p resolution at 60 Hz "with low latency," Valve says. The device will be available this November and will retail for $49.99. That's the same price as Valve's forthcoming Steam Controller, which will also be out by November.

Source 2

Source 2 will be free to all content developers. There will also be Vulkan support in Source 2, we'll probably hear more about Vulkan (and Valve's involvement) in the upcoming GDC talk.

Thats all we have so far on Source 2. Will Update as more information is released. 

wasnt there that doku thing that works even better and for less?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

HYPE

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I thought they sort of just faded out a while ago.....

Gabe's spectacular overreaction to Windows 8 finally has a launch date attached to it. 

Pew, pew. Shots fired

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I really don't have much more to say, cause I truly struggle to see the point of something thats priced like a console yet has far less game support out of the box and of now requires a decent computer to stream all your games form anyways. 

If this is what it takes for Linux to seriously rival Windows as a gaming platform, I am all for it. It's not there yet, but Linux has made unprecedented progress here since SteamOS was a thing.

I think as far as consoles/gaming HTPCs goes steaming has clearly been the way forward for a while. It's cheaper than having multiple dedicated systems, it's quieter to have the processing done on a server that is literally in another room. The only thing that might make more sense from Sony/Microsoft's end is cloud computing, but I hate the idea of being further tethered to an internet connection.

I wouldn't get a prebuilt with SteamOS installed on it. But I absolutely would use Linux on my main PC if it could reasonably replace Windows, and it's a no-brainer to go with something like xbmcbuntu for a console replacement -- streaming or otherwise.

I wouldn't buy such a thing as i don't mind just running my desktop to my big screen when i feel like sofa gaming :)

Steam controller and a device called the Steam Link that will allow for game streaming between multiple PCs or Steam Machines at 1080p/60HZ

What? I don't understand the purpose of this device since you can already do this with the multiple PC's that it's talking about.

Someone help me. My mind is bork

What? I don't understand the purpose of this device since you can already do this with the multiple PC's that it's talking about.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/3/8145263/valve-steam-link-steam-controller-pricing-release-date

Its a Chromecast for Steam, basically. Unless I'm missing something. 

https://steamdb.info/blog/source2-announcement/follow this for more news coming out of gdc from valve. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

wasnt there that doku thing that works even better and for less?

it was only 30HZ

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

I'm totally in the market for something like this. Right now, my options are :

• (50$) The Doku, which is only 30fps but still
  • (150$) ForgeTV, which runs on Android. So it's not a full fledge computer but could do it. Cost like 3x the Doku. They claim low latency using a proprietary encoder. 
  • (150$) That Intel Computer Stick. Same price as the Forge, a complete computer. So Steam in-Home technology which I've tested unlike the Forge. 

November is just too far for me though :/. Or maybe I'll go Doku then add a Steam Link later. Does the Steam Link runs a full Linux distro like the SteamOS ? If I can use a browser to stream from Plex it's kinda cool...

its a cheap option instead of putting a pc in the living room if you dont have a spare one, for 50 that's a killer value since you get 1080p60hz, ac wireless, ethernet (i hope is gigabit) and 2 usb which i suspect you can plug a kbm to it so you can even use it a small client on another desk instead of a tv if you want, it seems to be a very flexible device

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

its a cheap option instead of putting a pc in the living room if you dont have a spare one, for 50 that's a killer value since you get 1080p60hz, ac wireless, ethernet (i hope is gigabit) and 2 usb which i suspect you can plug a kbm to it so you can even use it a small client on another desk instead of a tv if you want, it seems to be a very flexible device

I got that with the Polygon link from Vic.

Kotaku explained it in a stupid way.

"We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers. This combined with recent announcements by Epic and Unity will help continue the PCs dominance as the premiere content authoring platform."

Got to agree with valve on this. The free availability of unreal engine 4, and source engine 2, combined with their native support for Linux is a nice boost for PC and for indie devs and anybody who wants to try their hand at content creation.

HYPE

pretty much. people are jonesing for more games and perhaps the steamOS to throw on a full build. 

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

They will get delayed and won't launch till 2016. They operate on Valve time...

steam-link-100571402-large.jpg

"Enter Steam Link. Announced Tuesday, Steam Link is Valve’s streaming solution. “Designed to extend your Steam experience to any room in the house, Steam Link allows you to stream all your Steam content from any PC or Steam Machine on the same home network,” Valve wrote in a prepared statement.

And Steam Link will be cheaper than I imagined: Only $50 when it launches in November. According to Valve, Steam Link will support 1080p, 60Hz streaming “with low latency,” which puts it a step above the streaming offered by the $100 NZXT Doko box (which tops out at 30 frames per second)."

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2891706/valve-reveals-steam-link-a-50-steam-machine-built-for-in-home-game-streaming.html

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

I thought that was what the Steam Box was supposed to do anyway?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

must have a beefy h264 decoder to handle that bitrate steam pushes out

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I thought that was what the Steam Box was supposed to do anyway?

steambox = full fledged PC

this = just receives video from pc so u can play anywhere in ur network

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

steambox = full fledged PC

this = just receives video from pc so u can play anywhere in ur network

Oh, I thought their Steam box computers came with something like this!

Thanks for the info. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |