60% want Apple to thicken the next iPhone to improve battery life

battery-life-phil-schiller.png?w=1044&h=

A 9to5mac poll is hardly the most scientific way of getting data that represents the entire population, but it does suggest that the power users of the world want a thicker phone. 

Do I? I'm a power user and honestly, I don't. The thinness of the 6+ is offset by how big it is, its nice to hold and rarely do I wish I had even more battery. I end days with 40-50% left, of course having more would be great but its not like I want Apple gimping their "thin is best" design philosophy to do it. 

If iPhones had outstandingly shitty battery lives, I could see the arguments. But they don't, and the 1% of the internet don't make for a good market to cater to. 

recent poll of over 3,100 9to5Mac readers indicates that most are not satisfied with current-generation iPhone battery life. Over 90% of respondents said that they want to see Apple improve iPhone battery life, versus less than 7% saying that “iPhone battery life and battery cases are good enough as-is.”

The split in responses interestingly suggests that Apple can safely stop prioritizing thinness over superior battery performance. A solid majority of over 60% of respondents said that Apple should thicken the next iPhone to improve its battery life, which is especially noteworthy given that there were other poll options. Over 31% said that Apple should achieve whatever battery improvements it can by improving the iPhone’s chips, while just under 2% said that Apple should instead focus on improving battery cases.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/25/results-users-want-apple-to-thicken-the-next-iphone-to-improve-battery/

*cough* And fix bending *cough*

shots fired.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

maybe thicken it to increase durability and make it easier to hold also dont have rounded edges

my dad has an iphone 6 plus and he says my note 4 is much easier to hold and he drops his iphone a lot

my dad has an iphone 6 plus and he says my note 4 is much easier to hold and he drops his iphone a lot

Good, their plan is working; more drops means more likely to break; more likely to buy a new one because they "NEED" it.

the 6+ is the only iphone to ship with a high end battery to begin with its almost a 3000mha battery, the 6 is very close to 2000mha and i'm sure before that the batteries where sub 2000mha, which is low even on mid range devices

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

would not buy an iphone for all the reasons stated and ios need to be more customizable but thats apple 

It's all about the capacity of the battery. 6+ is big ass phone and will have bigger battery. But most iphone users will use 6 or 5, which had little upgrade in battery capacity. If I want to cycle around london and use gps it will only last few hours until it's dead. I would not say that 2 hours of screen being on and gps is very power using, but even than it dies...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

But... apple never goes back.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Just make 720p phone with 4000mAh battery and decent specs and I will be happy (max 5"... ideal 4"-4,5"). I dont care if it will be 1cm thick as my Lumia already is and it is not bothering me in any way.

Reason for me to get the 6+, ..... battery life

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Wow people still going about the bend? yea, I've sat on the phone, had it in tight jeans and pants, mine has not beant and I have no case for it! the #bendgate crap needs to stop since it only happened on a VERY small percent.

But I would like a slightly thicker iPhone.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Damn right. Now, if only I could get my hands on a Droid Turbo in the UK...

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

I wouldnt mind it to be thicker if it makes it better, it is a sexy piece of equipment though :D and my battery generally does last, just not when I play games

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It won't happen. Maybe they will increase it by 1mm but I can't see them increasing it more than tgat. Maybe if they use a more flat camera design and increase e iphone by 1mm or so they can get rid of that pimple on the back. And then maybe increase thge battery capacitty by 2-5%.

Interested in Business and Technology

A 9to5mac poll is hardly the most scientific way of getting data that represents the entire population, but it does suggest that the power users of the world want a thicker phone. 

Do I? I'm a power user and honestly, I don't. The thinness of the 6+ is offset by how big it is, its nice to hold and rarely do I wish I had even more battery. I end days with 40-50% left, of course having more would be great but its not like I want Apple gimping their "thin is best" design philosophy to do it. 

If iPhones had outstandingly shitty battery lives, I could see the arguments. But they don't, and the 1% of the internet don't make for a good market to cater to.

Define power user. I'm sure I could drain the battery in 5 hours based on the type of use I had when I had an iPod touch 5. Play some N.O.V.A. 3, MC3, watch a movie.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

YES. MORE BATTERY LIFE. YES. 

Though I still would never buy an Iphone (Xperia man.)

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I definitely can understand this. I bought a droid turbo even though its a thicker phone because of the battery life.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Wow people still going about the bend? yea, I've sat on the phone, had it in tight jeans and pants, mine has not beant and I have no case for it! the #bendgate crap needs to stop since it only happened on a VERY small percent.

I wouldn't call it small.  They even changed the billboards because of it, to make people think it's normal.

iPhone_6_Bent_Ad_Berlin_Wide.jpg

The phone could stand to be at least as thick as the camera... The HTC M9 IMO has the same problems the iphone 6 and 6+ have: they are to obsessed with making the device as thin as possible so the camera sticks out and both phones don't have wireless charging. I don't understand why people would not opt for the device to be a 16th of an inch or maybe even an 8th of an inch bigger for the better battery life and to not have the camera not stick out. Also for the love of god phone manufacturers 1080p is perfectly fine resolution for a even a large 5.5+ inch cell phone. Say what you want about the phone having enough battery life but the market for battery phone cases (some of which can make a phone almost half and inch thick) and portable battery banks would say otherwise.