Laptop overclocking makes a triumphant comeback after NVIDIA do a complete 180!

Cakefish

It's back baby!  B)

Supporting article: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-to-bring-back-overclocking-of-geforce-gtx-900m-graphics-adapters/

Yes indeed! Remember the controversy over the whole laptop clockblocking incident last week? In summary: NVIDIA deliberately disabled overclocking for the mobile Maxwell lineup via a driver update (the 327.xx branch to be exact). They claimed that overclocking was a 'bug', despite laptop gamers having had the ability to adjust clockspeed on their GPUs for literally years (although no voltage control) - and the fact that their considerably hotter running and more power hungry Kepler/Fermi based predecessors still had the 'bug' fully enabled. Some laptop OEMs were so confident in their cooling systems in their premium models, they even advertised overclocking as a feature - directly contradicting NVIDIA's claims. Here's the full details: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/308820-overclocking-permanently-disabled-on-nvidia-mobile-gpus/

Naturally, we laptop gamers were outraged and demanded the immediate reinstatement of this feature. There is a small, but passionate community of overclockers among the laptop gaming crowd, who have been safely overclocking our GPUs for years now - always ensuring we had adequate cooling beforehand. We did not appreciate being told what we could and couldn't do with the hardware we paid considerable money for - we knew the risks and were willing to take them.

So what's new?

Well, basically we won. We actually won. NVIDIA have announced the return of mobile overclocking in the next driver version releasing next month. They even went so far as to call overclocking a 'feature' again - so much for their BS 'bug' excuse! This is them admitting total defeat. It's remarkable that such a relatively small number of enthusiasts (in comparison to the number of gaming enthusiasts using desktops) can manage to tame a colossal corporation like NVIDIA - and in such a short amount of time too! We all rallied as a team and can now reap the rewards.

Here is the full statement given by the NVIDIA rep on their official forums:

2j5aubt.png

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/805791/geforce-drivers/gtx-900m-overclocking-with-347-09-347-25/post/4466443/#4466443

Thank you to all those that helped us to become victorious! It goes to show that corporations mustn't bite the hand that feeds them too hard :)

Ahh good news indeed :) Glad to see they stopped digging. 

thanks for sharing.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

i for one, still think that laptop overclocking is a poopoo idea.

but hey, to all who do enjoy it, may your temps be low and clock speeds be high ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

They didn't say it was a bug, they said it was not supposed to be enabled but it was enabled by accident. Yes it was enabled for previous cards, your point? Stances/opinions on things like this can change

This is not admitting defeat...

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Cool. Good for them.

Ahh good news indeed :) Glad to see they stopped digging. 

Please for the love of all that is holy, stop using that phrase.

What happened is pretty simple imo; they couldn't afford another shitstorm after the 970 thing (regardless of how bad that was or wasn't) and reenabling OC probably took a single programmer 15 minutes. There also are pretty much no downsides for them in enabling this save maybe the hope of selling a few more desktop gpus for e-gpu setups...  :ph34r:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They didn't say it was a bug, they said it was not supposed to be enabled but it was enabled by accident. Yes it was enabled for previous cards, your point? Stances/opinions on things like this can change

Software acting in an unintended way is pretty much a bug.

Cool. Good for them.

Please for the love of all that is holy, stop using that phrase.

:unsure:  it was my first time too... 

I think he meant that it's weird they would disable it on maxwell and yet leave it enabled on older and hotter cards with the same driver...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

:unsure:  it was my first time too... 

That's cool.

It's just so overused and it has no bearing on Nvidia at all.

Software acting in an unintended way is pretty much a bug.

A bug is something unforeseen

This accidental enabling could have been forseen

It's not a bug

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

That's cool.

It's just so overused and it has no bearing on Nvidia at all.

In fairness you're right, its how bandwagons are started.

Thanks man. 

They literally said it was a bug in their original statement: 

36a.jpg

A bug is something unforeseen

This accidental enabling could have been forseen

It's not a bug

You pretty much just described the overclocking feature being accidentally enabled with your first half-sentence.

It's a bug. GG.

They literally said it was a bug in their original statement:

36a.jpg

Hmmm, I have not seen that post. I've only seen one where it was simply stated as "not disabled by accident"

Good to know, thanks for this information

You pretty much just described the overclocking feature being accidentally enabled with your first half-sentence.

It's a bug. GG.

Gee thanks for all the respect you have there for a fellow forum member who made an honest mistake.

Good job, you're really making this forum look like the picture of respect

Gee thanks for all the respect you have there for a fellow forum member who made an honest mistake.

Good job, you're really making this forum look like the picture of respect

1. I actually said the same thing in my first post to you with nothing else tact onto it.

2. I didn't even insult you. I said GG - if that's insulting to you, sorry.

3. Stop trying to be a victim because you may or may not be wrong in situations. That's dumb.

Hmmm, I have not seen that post. I've only seen one where it was simply stated as "not disabled by accident"

Good to know, thanks for this information

snip the images when you quote them , thanks 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

snip the images when you quote them , thanks

1. It's a non-issue with small images

2. I'm on my ipod, it's pretty annoying to even make small adjustments

1. It's a non-issue with small images

2. I'm on my ipod, it's pretty annoying to even make small adjustments

oh , alright , the image is really big on PC , it takes the entire screen, i'm not even exaggerating it up , it's taking the entire page for me

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

oh , alright , the image is really big on PC , it takes the entire screen, i'm not even exaggerating it up , it taking the entire page for me ,

Really? It's tiny for me

Apologies I forgot ipod scaling. I'll try to remember in the future

YES MOAR GIGAHERTZ

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

It's a bug. GG.

The stock vBIOS allowed for +135MHz core OC and unlocked memory slider OC. If driver allowance was a bug, why open it in the vBIOS? 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

A smart move from Nvidia. Most people won't overclock. And yes you may have the person that overclock too much the GPU and breaks it and pass it as he/she didn't do anything to the manufacture for RMA replacement, costing Nvidia money to replace the GPU. But not having it hurt Nvidia image more, and repairing that is even more costly.

Although, I kinda expected they release K series GPUs like Intel. :P