Laptop overclocking makes a triumphant comeback after NVIDIA do a complete 180!

Cakefish

Ahh good news indeed :) Glad to see they stopped digging. 

thanks for sharing.

What digging? Overclocking on a laptop invites overheating issues due to poor ventilation of laptops. NVidia made sure that this won't happen to their customers because If the GPU gets damaged due to heating problems, they would get blamed for it. People would freak out because it's "maxwell", It "shouldn't" have these problems blah blah blah and so on.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

nVidia catering towards a bunch of ill-informed children. Sigh. That said the ability to overclock is a good thing, even if it goes against every intention the developer, designer, producer and manufacturer had for those laptops.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

What digging? Overclocking on a laptop invites overheating issues due to poor ventilation of laptops. NVidia made sure that this won't happen to their customers because If the GPU gets damaged due to heating problems, they would get blamed for it. People would freak out because it's "maxwell", It "shouldn't" have these problems blah blah blah and so on.

THANK YOU someone actually using their brain. This is my point entirely. They shouldn't have to compensate for their customers' ignorance.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

The only thing I can compute when reading this, is that OC'ing a laptop GPU is that it is a totally moronic thing to do.

But, that is just one opinion. Go nuts, mobile users.

'a complete 180'

'ex De De De nvidia have stopped digging'

I guess people are too inept these days to know that you can do driver roll back and regain the overclocking features. GGWP.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

'a complete 180'

'ex De De De nvidia have stopped digging'

I guess people are too inept these days to know that you can do driver roll back and regain the overclocking features. GGWP.

344.75 (the last driver to not be locked down) would not have lasted forever. There's a reason why NVIDIA & AMD release driver updates - performance optimisations, bug fixes and to add new features like MFAA etc.

344.75 (the last driver to not be locked down) would not have lasted forever. There's a reason why NVIDIA & AMD release driver updates - performance optimisations, bug fixes and to add new features like MFAA etc.

That driver lasts forever when you're on older hardware. That driver may also allow higher GPU overclocks compared to another driver.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You're right about the digging thing. 

I don't  think that Nvidia should have gotten of of the OCing ion their mobile gpus, sure its not exactly common, but to me it's a feature that I expect to get.

I also get that they would have no way of know if someone damaged the gpu through OCing, which is a problem. But i'd stilll expect to have that option. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Laptops with "poor ventilation" are the ones who don't have high end GPUs in the first place... so this point is moot. Also, Maxwell is exceedingly cool; unnaturally so... and is the only product line affected by the overclock disabling. I've seen people with +300MHz or more core clock OCs and they still sit in mid 70s gaming, MAYBE topping out at 80... far less the throttle point of 92 deg and the TJMax of 100 degrees. Even cooler if they use CLU thermal paste or mod their heatsinks/vents a little. Which is a thing users do. But that doesn't even matter, because the stock nVidia vBIOS only allows +135MHz on the core and no voltage adjustments since Kepler came out. You'd have to try real hard to fry a maxwell chip. In fact, you can't. It'll never fry by heat, because even if you somehow managed to make it hit 92 degrees, it'd simply throttle down. Alllll the way down to 135MHz core and 162MHz memory (648MHz effective). At that point you could run maxwell fanless and it'd still not overheat.

nVidia catering towards a bunch of ill-informed children. Sigh. That said the ability to overclock is a good thing, even if it goes against every intention the developer, designer, producer and manufacturer had for those laptops.

What about the manufacturers who design their notebooks to be overclocked? Like Clevo, MSI and ASUS whose official driver list for all gaming notebooks comes with overclocking software?

I still don't get why you would want to overclock a mobile GPU

That's fine. You've probably never used a good gaming notebook, so I don't blame you for not getting it.

That driver lasts forever when you're on older hardware. That driver may also allow higher GPU overclocks compared to another driver.

Older (hotter, more power hungry) hardware did not have the overclock block. Only maxwell (you know, that cool, power miser architecture?) was affected.

Pls don't overclock a laptop

I'll overclock if I please thank you very much. Hey, did you know overclocking isn't a way to break my warranty? I've asked.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

That's fine. You've probably never used a good gaming notebook, so I don't blame you for not getting it.

Yeah, probably. The laptop I have doesn't have very good cooling and thermal throttles  like crazy :P  (although it can still run lighter games like Europa Universalis 4 fine)

Yeah, probably. The laptop I have doesn't have very good cooling and thermal throttles  like crazy :P  (although it can still run lighter games like Europa Universalis 4 fine)

If you ever get a chance to use one, you might understand. I've never seen anybody hit even close to 85 degrees without purposefully reducing their fanspeed using any maxwell GPU. Those things are ridiculously cool, it feels like a joke.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday