"Allwinner launches $5 quad-core 64-bit Cortex-A53 processor for tablets"

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/allwinner-launches-5-quad-core-64-bit-cortex-a53-processor-tablets-579202/

You more than likely haven't heard of the Chinese mobile chip manufacturer Allwinner before, but there's a good reason for that - they haven't made much of a dent worldwide. They're a popular chip manufacturer for Chinese branded tablets.

So now since you know a little bit about Allwinner, it's time for you to learn about their new chip - the A64. The A64 is a quad core, 64-bit SoC that comes with built in support for h264 and h265 at 4K. The A64 uses four Cortex-A53 cores, which are ARM's most energy efficient cores to date, albeit no clock speed has been listed yet.

Along with everything above, the A64 supports various DDR memory types, which will make the BOM cost more competitive, supports eMMC 5.0, which provides better IO pefromance and enhanced data throughput capacity, supports Allwinner SmartColor display technology for more vivid colors, supports Android 5.0 Lollipop and Linux kernel 3.10, and finally it has ARM's Trusted Firmware security support.

Wow, that's actually super impressive for a SoC. But wait, there's more! This chip will only cost phone/tablet manufacturers $100 $50 $25 $10 $5! Five. Freaking. Dollars. This chip is powerful, can playback 4K video, and basically has ARM's seal of approval (see last part of the previous paragraph). This chip is going to bring us powerful but super cheap tablets in the very near future.

I'm extremely curious as to when the chip will be made available and how nuch phones/tablets running the chip will go for. And of course, I want to see some benchmarks!

Allwinner_A64.jpg

COMIC SANS

Damn, that's one cheap CPU. Wonder the performance against major competitors.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

A53 cores tho... :/ i guess for 5$ its great, but that wont have it winning any great designs

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

lol cheaper than pack of cigars.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

What's the downside? There's always a catch.

Performance.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Allwinner is HUGE im sure many know them here

tinkerers love them because of their low cost and open sourced stuff

this is awesome news for me ive been waiting for a faster soc from them

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Cheaper than fish and chips

Well, duh! It's only a single chip and doesn't come with fish.

how is this possible the material cost is higher then $5, there must be some kind of chinese government subsidies to increase market share of chinese products.

how is this possible the material cost is higher then $5, there must be some kind of chinese government subsidies to increase market share of chinese products.

Material cost only comes into account when buying singular components. When companies purchase in bulk the per item cost is reduced; a $5 chip would probably cost something like $1.25 to manufacture including the price of components.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I'm sure, no proof, that this must be an extremely low clock speed because of poor quality in material. That has to be the only way to justify such cheap material. But still, only $5!!!! These tablets should be SUPER cheap, I don't care but I will be buying one if they are sub $200, just to see how they truly perform. I'm not really one for the tablet market but damn, this is one thing I do not want to pass up. I would like to say I own one of those $5 cpus and hopefully say they weren't bad at all.

Not much of a predecessor to me...

Not bad for $5. But then again, I'm sure most people I know would save up more to get something better, but this is good for those in third world countries.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

What's the downside? There's always a catch.

Instead of NSA, this chip will have backdoor opened for Chinese Cyber warfare agencies.

Stick this on a cheap dev board like the rasp pi and it could be interesting.

I want like 8 of these on a single board so I can build compact, low power BOINC boxes. You could just plug them in where ever there's free wifi. There should be one in every home and all the points will go to LTT's Team  :D

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I want like 8 of these on a single board so I can build compact, low power BOINC boxes. You could just plug them in where ever there's free wifi. There should be one in every home and all the points will go to LTT's Team  :D

Nice idea.

Sig under construction.

The pizzas I make at work cost more than this.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.