Microsoft Condemns U.S. Government in Latest Video Ad

RH00D

Microsoft today released a video ad on their YouTube channel condemning the U.S. for trying to compel Microsoft to hand over emails via a valid U.S. search warrant. Except the emails are stored entirely within Ireland, not the U.S.

Other companies in the tech sector are siding with Microsoft, too. Apple, AT&T, Cisco, and Verizon all agree with Microsoft. Verizon said (PDF) that a decision favoring the US would produce "dramatic conflict with foreign data protection laws." Apple and Cisco said (PDF) that the tech sector is put "at risk" of being sanctioned by foreign governments and that the US should seek cooperation with foreign nations via treaties, a position the US said is not practical.

The Justice Department said global jurisdiction is necessary in an age when "electronic communications are used extensively by criminals of all types in the United States and abroad, from fraudsters to hackers to drug dealers, in furtherance of violations of US law."

Brad Smith, Microsoft's general counsel, said in a blog post Monday that the company's invocation of the Stadtpolizei analogy underscores that if the US prevails, "how can it complain if foreign agents require tech companies to download e-mails stored in the US? This is a question the Department of Justice hasn’t yet addressed, much less answered."

The senior counsel for the Irish Supreme Court wrote in a lower court filing that a US-Ireland "Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty" was the "efficient" avenue (PDF) for the US government to obtain the e-mail held on Microsoft's servers in Dublin, Ireland.

The appeals court on Tuesday ordered the US to respond by March 9. No hearing date has been set.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/microsoft-tells-us-the-worlds-servers-are-not-yours-for-the-taking/

Source: http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2014/12/15/141215-Microsoft-Privacy.aspx

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Good guy Microsoft. I hope they can have some influence

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Wont make a difference people will ignore it, MS will get fined until they get on their knees, but Good guy MS this is awesome.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It's just time for organisations like the UN to provide binding statements about internet privacy and such.

Internet is indeed everywhere, and although countries should be able to restrict access to certain parts of it individually, it makes no sense there is no 1 universal internet law, to be followed by all countries.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Legally, there's is nothing for the US government to do without that treaty.  Great Job MS. I almost would forgive yo for the buggy windows 8! (almost)

It's just time for organisations like the UN to provide binding statements about internet privacy and such.

Internet is indeed everywhere, and although countries should be able to restrict access to certain parts of it individually, it makes no sense there is no 1 universal internet law, to be followed by all countries.

the UN are a bunch of asshats that does whatever favors the us gov, when was the last time they did something significant that favored anyone that wasn't the us or eu

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

the UN are a bunch of asshats that does whatever favors the us gov, when was the last time they did something significant that favored anyone that wasn't the us or eu

Well than , I guess I'll ask that other worldwide organisation for it 8e90bcbcdf.png

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

US is losing a lot of relation with the tech companies... Is this going to be hitting the jobs there and stuff?

But it was a warrant and not via carte blanche self appointed power of the NSA or whatever.  Are they(silicon valley) just trying to trail on the bullshit and make the public and government run in circles?  Just a few months ago the complaint was that there should be warrants and not an all powerful organization, to which i agree.

Do we want a Ireland to be the Swiss bank of data to protect the elite?

If they want to see E-mail have the same laws protecting it that snail mail has. I am all for it.  But as far as where the data is stored, when it can be accessed at the speed of light, doesn't seem relevant what so ever.

Where the owner of that data is, is of more interest to me.  There seems to be a bit of social engineering here coming out of the MS camp as far as I can tell.

Good for Microsoft.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

i feel like once the tech companies loose complete hope for this government they are under. they will pack their bags and leave. the other things that also leave will be hundreds and thousands of jobs. and for someone who will soon be going into the field, this is quite scary. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

get on em about net neutrality while your at it microsoft.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The only thing keeping the US in check is the Russian/Chinese vetoes. The only thing keeping Russia in check is the US veto. To top it off, the UN is pretty powerless anyway.The whole thing is so broken.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Whilst i do agree with Microsoft on this one, this situation might not of happened if they had not been pushing every one to centralize their data with them and had instead designed their products so that the user can control their data.

To do this they could simply do what mega has done and encryption so that even they cant see what is stored on their servers or they could have software available to host your own outlook (Hotmail) and one drive servers.

Good Guys Microsoft. It's about time somebody/ a company stood up and argue that laws need to be updated. Granted, I'm from the UK, not US, but what is to stop the UK to request information from America (as an example)? Nothing, the UK just follows America's lead. What ever the US government does, the UK isn't far behind following their action. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

i think this is one of those things that many people will stand behind microsoft on. if he data was in a us data center, then sure its on american soil take and gtfo. but this shit is no where near the us border, so government can gtfo and leave with nothing. or microsoft should notify the user, ask them what they would like to do, and then charge the government for the process of retrieving it at a rate of a million dollars an hour, plus ten grand per bit. then limit the connection stream so that it takes about three years to download xD oh the joys i would get out of that...

We're making progress. The more these big companies speak out against these invasions of privacy, the better off we'll be. 

Go Microsoft! Now, Apple and Google must fight in step. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

I think we all know what Microsoft's real reason for this is (and I expect a rant from a certain someone to remind us), but we need big tech companies to make statements like this. I'll give it a pass.