How to Create a Bootable USB Drive

Anthony10
NOTE: seen many people asking this on the forums lately, thought I'd just make a guide, I also posted this on my website if you are interested :)

post-64210-0-58323300-1414280473.jpeg

Ever needed to fresh install an OS? Want to switch your OS? This guide will show you how to create a bootable USB drive in 5 simple steps.

This tool will work with all Windows ISOs, Thank you to @Aniallation for recommending to use Rufus on ISOs that are not compatible with Microsoft's tool.

1.) Click here and download Microsoft's bootable USB tool.

post-64210-0-28798300-1414280813.png

post-64210-0-45506300-1414280813.png

2.) Open the bootable USB tool

post-64210-0-44475300-1414280824.png

3.) Select your ISO

post-64210-0-23143000-1414280877.png

post-64210-0-03134800-1414280833.png

4.) Restart your computer

5.) On startup, select your USB drive as the boot drive

Thanks for reading!

Sometimes Microsoft's tool gives errors on an invalid ISO, so I just use rufus. Some screenshots and showing how to access boot device menu would be helpful too :)

"Rawr XD"

Sometimes Microsoft's tool gives errors on an invalid ISO, so I just use rufus. Some screenshots and showing how to access boot device menu would be helpful too :)

Ok, I will add MOAR PICTURES xD

This guide works with Windows and some other operating systems. Considering windows, mac, chrome os, and steam os are the only popular os's on desktop, I figured most people would be using this for windows, I have not tested it with other OSs though. I will have to add Rufus to the alternate programs. Thankyou!

OP  has been edited with your suggestions and my website article has been too :) thank you for the feedback I appreciate it and take it with great consideration

How did you like RUFUS? would you say its easier than reformatting a USB drive and using a iso mounter to copy files over?

How did you like RUFUS? would you say its easier than reformatting a USB drive and using a iso mounter to copy files over?

Definitely. It just allows you to select the ISO file and it will format and set up the USB drive for you, including making it bootable. When you just copy the files over, sometimes it doesn't work due to the drive not being set up to be bootable.

"Rawr XD"

Definitely. It just allows you to select the ISO file and it will format and set up the USB drive for you, including making it bootable. When you just copy the files over, sometimes it doesn't work due to the drive not being set up to be bootable.

ive never gotten rufus to work for me on my of my flash drives. ive always just done it via command prompt

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

yeah so ive just tried to use rufus, ultraISO, and the microsoft method and i can get any of them to work. rufus and ultraISO give me some BS about needing to insert media disk and windows method just went to a black screen an stayed on that for a few mins and nothing happen. you guys know a solution for this?

yeah so ive just tried to use rufus, ultraISO, and the microsoft method and i can get any of them to work. rufus and ultraISO give me some BS about needing to insert media disk and windows method just went to a black screen an stayed on that for a few mins and nothing happen. you guys know a solution for this?

What ISO are you using? (e.g. Win7 ISO)

Been using Rufus for awhile now and really like it and easy too use.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

One Tip, You MUST be on a 64Bit OS to make a Bootable 64Bit installer otherwise the USB Pen will not be bootable, no idea why just one hurdle I hit into in the past.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

This isn't universal for all .isos though.

Here's how to make ANY iso bootable.

Download the iso. 

Plug in flash drive.

Extract contents of iso (yes I know it isn't a .zip - just trust me) to the flash drive.

Wait however long it takes.

Remove flash drive, plug in whatever drive you want to install the OS on and put the flash drive into a USB 2.0 port and turn the computer on.

Done.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am trying to make a bootable usb drive, but it seems like if I do not have the disk I can not make one. Is it possible to copy your iso files from the computer instead of having to copy them from the disk? If so where do I find the iso?