The Sony Walkman is back (kind of)

TopWargamer

needs to be competitor to ipod touch. dont include headphones, higher res screen (a bit), and maybe less starting storage with with micorsd expansion

oh and lower the price a bit...

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I guess I am out of touch with mobile music players, how much does the largest Ipod cost? Does Apple still make the Ipod? 

I have been using my phone for music for years, I kinda stopped paying attention to that game.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Wow a group of people worshipping a 3000$ graphics card, is butthurt over a 700$ highend portable player? Really? If someone spends 1000$+ on headphones, I'd think they want a good source, that can keep up, too. This is not a mainstream product for the masses, but for audiophiles.

exactly. i personally wouldn't buy it if I could spend the $700 on all of it because I am not as much of an audiophile as much as a pc enthusiast, but if I had $700 to spend only in audio, then I would honestly consider this. An audio source coming directly from something like a pc (no matter how much they hype up the onboard audio, still crap) or a mobile phone, is just terrible and the people who don't care either can't tell the difference even in the slightest or never heard better than a crappy phone with Beats.

Wow a group of people worshipping a 3000$ graphics card, is butthurt over a 700$ highend portable player? Really? If someone spends 1000$+ on headphones, I'd think they want a good source, that can keep up, too. This is not a mainstream product for the masses, but for audiophiles.

Exactly. People around here tend to forget that people have different priorities. Someone might never even consider spending more than $500 on a new computer but might easily be willing to spend $10k on a pair of speakers or, in this case, $700 on a portable music player.

As much as I love Sony, if it can't play cassettes then I'm not buying it.   What's the point in something that big that can't drag the mag.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If it was a phone or had a 720p display and worked off andriod... I'd buy it. or better yet a phone.... i mean the LG G2 is "hi fi" and plays back 24/192 in the basic player.

Hell yeah. I love when they redesign old tech :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

LOL @ anyone shelling out 700 for this....

Hell yeah. I love when they redesign old tech :)

24bit player isn't really old tech. it's useless tech and a useless price. it's so hard to find alot of "legal" 24/192 files and when you do it's like 20 dollars more for "upsamples files" with almost every hdtracks file I heard. it sounds the sounds/looks the same on spectrogram to say amazon mp3.... fuck even when i turn those "hdtracks" files down into 300ish bitrate acc file. I can't tell the diff at fucking all. It's stupid.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but this is an android powered music player. Technically speaking you could load up any android app you want on it. I have no doubt that there will probably be rooted devices, which will be able to use any music playing app.

What is even more interesting is that none of Sony's marketing materials or specifications point out that it does run Android. Personally I think that might be a huge selling point, if implemented properly.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I don't really see why the weight is that big a deal. Personally I like things to have a bit of heft to them. If it weighs next to nothing, it doesn't feel like it's very solidly built. If it has some weight and sturdiness to it, I feel like it's more quality. I understand for a while we were going for the thinnest lightest phone we could get. But just because you can go paper thin doesn't mean you have to.

still cheaper than altmann tera  B)

the two things I'd like to know are what's it's battery life like and how much can you expand the storage by?

With that $700 i'm better of buying a new headphones or a video card, so for me, not worth it. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Oh wow, ladies and gentlemen we have the strongest candidate for the most fucking stupid new tech product of 2014!

not when the s5 come out this year

Why would anybody buy this when you can buy an Ipod Classic with 160GB storage for $249.

And an Ipod Touch is $190 and it can do the same things as an Ipad and has access to all IOS apps.

see below

^^this - so many people are missing the point this is not aimed at ypur average consumer to listen to the latest one direction pile of shit play candy crush saga on the way to school, its a audiophile thing.....personaly its not for me i could get a phone for that but i see who might like it......its like high end gaming rigs, you dont need to run the game at 4k, 1080p is fine for most people but you do because you want to and the fact that it costs some $1500 more to do so is not the point. serioulsly guys open your eyes

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Phones are really expensive so why can't MP3's with touchscreen be expensive? - Sony.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I heard the ZX-1 is actually a bit worse than the iPhone in some aspects. Would have to go back to Lachlan's review of the device.

Frankly, the music app on the thing is garbage or unpolished, and it's really oddly shaped. Would not carry that thing around.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Too much marketing BS in that to even consider the product

Pilates

not when the s5 come out this year

see below

^^this - so many people are missing the point this is not aimed at ypur average consumer to listen to the latest one direction pile of shit play candy crush saga on the way to school, its a audiophile thing.....personaly its not for me i could get a phone for that but i see who might like it......its like high end gaming rigs, you dont need to run the game at 4k, 1080p is fine for most people but you do because you want to and the fact that it costs some $1500 more to do so is not the point. serioulsly guys open your eyes

Can it even drive 250/600ohm headphones ?

RTX2070OC 

Why did they not make this a phone? with the same specs

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Can it even drive 250/600ohm headphones ?

honestly i coulndt tell you .......you would think it could

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I think jude from head fi has mentioned this .... spose to be amazing

Its all about those volumetric clouds

So it has Android os with access to Playstore, 32 hours battery life, touch screen, casing carved from an aluminium block, 128GB internal storage..And more importantly it plays 24-bit, 192kHz flac. I think $700 price is quite just justifiable. Ok maybe a bit off by about $100+-. but still within the right price range for...read this; A NICHE AUDIO PRODUCT.

Bet you guy never heard about Astell&Kern before