The Sony Walkman is back (kind of)

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461186,00.asp

The company that popularized the portable music player nearly four decades ago is back in the game with a new "Walkman." Sony's new NWZ-ZX1 won't play cassettes like the original Walkman introduced in 1979, but unlike other digital music players like Apple's iPod, it is a bit of a throwback in terms of its bulky dimensions and relatively hefty weight.

Just as hefty is the ZX1's price tag of $700.

That is...very expensive... not only that, but it's bulky. According to PC Mag, the ZX1 weighs 139 grams (roughly 4.9 ounces) and is about 37% heavier than Apple's iPod Touch. I dunno why anybody would buy this now a days, but the device has been on sale in Japan since December and has apparently been selling very well.

Specs

-Plays 24-bit, 192kHz FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) files

-5-band equalizer

-Dynamic normalizer

-Clear Bass and Clear Stereo technology

-128GB of storage

-32 hours of battery life (takes 3 hours to charge)

-"Noise-dampening case" carved from a block of aluminum

-4" 854x480 touchscreen

-Plays back videos and photos as well

-Ships with "quality headphones"

-$700 price tag

(Not available in the USA, at least not yet. You could always import it.)

I'm not an audiophile, so excuse my ignorance, but the music I play from my phone and my computer sounds just fine to me. So to me, this product doesn't make much sense.

So to all of you audiophiles out there, is the ZX1 worth that $700 price tag?

363973-sony-nwz-zx1.jpg

COMIC SANS

That's dumb.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I ain't giving 700 mother frigging dollars for a music player, I got's more important things to do with mah mahney!

i'm a potato

Walkman supposedly had superior quality but that price tag is insane.

no

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

That is stupid. I bet the audio quality is similar to any other MP3 player out there. Sony should go out and try and make the ultimate portable MP3 player for a cheap price. I am thinking of something like the Clip+ because that MP3 player is the best you can get out there for the price. Great audio quality, unlimited storage options, great UI and great battery life. If SOny could take that and improve it that would be better then some touch screen bullshit. The walkman should just play audio files and that is it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I just convert FLAC to ALAC (Apple Lossles) for my iPhone

It's probably got great quality for a lot of the stuff I would listen to, but most people these days will be satisfied by slapping their silly overpriced Beats buds into their goofy iPods and running the trap.

I would be more likely to put that $700 into a speaker system than a media player, since the quality would only be hampered by my headphones... In the end it would be a huge investment and cash better spent on other things imo

Still the move to get high quality audio out there is one that needs to keep moving. With time we'll have cheap players that put out kick-ass sound.

Git Gud.

Stewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwpid soney

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

That's dumb.

I think this is meant to be a prosumer product (like the GTX Titan) that's why it's so expensive.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I think this is meant to be a prosumer product (like the GTX Titan) that's why it's so expensive.

Still stupid.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

a dedicated FLAC-player? hey, audio-snobs might buy that!

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

Oh wow, ladies and gentlemen we have the strongest candidate for the most fucking stupid new tech product of 2014!

-------

Current Rig

-------

the device has been on sale in Japan since December and has apparently been selling very well.

This surprises me quite a bit. I wouldn't expect a repeat of this in the US at all.

Git Gud.

Maybe the conversion rates are horrible 

that might explain the price 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Wow and i thought apple products were over priced lol

They should of intergrated a phone in it then it would be worth it.

It doesn't surprise me at all that this sells well, there's a big and growing demand for high quality portable audio players and this Sony isn't even close to being the most expensive one on the market currently, as far as I know the most expensive one is the Astell & Kern AK240 with it's $2500 price tag.

how come it was widely sold in japan..............thats what they said in the article 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Why would anybody buy this when you can buy an Ipod Classic with 160GB storage for $249.
And an Ipod Touch is $190 and it can do the same things as an Ipad and has access to all IOS apps.

RTX2070OC 

I'd pay for an Android based Xperia device primarly used for music, however, with a price tag of $700, I might as well just pick up an Xperia Z2 and a 128 GB SD card.

Come on, Sony. Don't become Apple. You're better than that.

Not even Apple goes this far lol

Sony is the king of overpricing and proprietary."cough" Linus expensive SONY camera "cough"

RTX2070OC 

Still stupid.

Stupid for a consumer to buy it at this price when there are cheaper alternatives. For stuff like music production, studio monitoring, etc. it may not be that bad.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Wow a group of people worshipping a 3000$ graphics card, is butthurt over a 700$ highend portable player? Really? If someone spends 1000$+ on headphones, I'd think they want a good source, that can keep up, too. This is not a mainstream product for the masses, but for audiophiles.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro