Consoles "couldn't possibly handle" Star Citizen, developer says

It's not uncommon for developers of indie PC games to hope that their creations will ultimately make it to consoles. Cloud Imperium Games holds out no such hope for Star Citizen, however, and in fact Eric "Wingman" Peterson says it couldn't be done anyway, because consoles, including the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, simply don't have the power to drive the game.

When asked by Italian site PC-Gaming (translated by Worlds Factory) why the studio opted to release Star Citizen for the PC and not consoles, Peterson was blunt. "First and foremost, consoles couldn’t possibly handle a game like Star Citizen. Chris and I grew up with PC games and in the last few years we had the feeling that PC had been pushed aside, with most games coming out as mere console ports with graphics that didn’t really exploit the power of PC," he said. "Gaming PCs right now are formidable, with powerful CPUs and GPUs. Even next-generation consoles cannot be compared, their internal components are already older than what I could add to a gaming PC today."

It's cool to see a dev care so much about PC, isn't it? I do get a sense of masterrace from them, but this will push PCs foward, I hope.

Maybe this is to send a message to devs with console in mind first.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/14/consoles-couldnt-possibly-handle-star-citizen-developer-says/

Side note: This looks kind of like a news post, but I felt like it didn't really belong there.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

Suck it consoles.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Who would want to play a beautiful looking game like Star Citizen on a Console anyways lol. It will never look the same after that.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Didnt it melt a 580? Or am i thinking of a different game?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Considering modern-day consoles have the equivalent of a GTX 480 (roughly)... I can believe this.

Didnt it melt a 580? Or am i thinking of a different game?

Apparently it was melting GTX 590's.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Apparently it was melting GTX 590's.

Unsurprising, it's poorly optimized as of now and it's also a massive game.

As a side note, the 480 consumes way more power and is much larger than the Jaguar SoC in the Xbox One and PS4.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Could it? Absolutely. Is it worth their time to even consider it? Fuck no. 

There is pushing the envelope and then there is getting lazy just because you have power to burn. 

I hope they have a well optimized game. Not another Crysis 1.

Star Citizen on Wii U?

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Unsurprising, it's poorly optimized as of now and it's also a massive game.

As a side note, the 480 consumes way more power and is much larger than the Jaguar SoC in the Xbox One and PS4.

But it's also 3 generations behind (4 if you go by the architecture).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It will be as optimized as a 50GB game can be.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

There is pushing the envelope and then there is getting lazy just because you have power to burn. 

If it does, we could say "But can it run Star Citizen?" and put the Crysis meme to rest (like Crytek)

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

But it's also 3 generations behind (4 if you go by the architecture).

It's using a modern architecture. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)

It's just low power and designed for embedded usage, like the Xbox One.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Crysis 1 was pretty well optimized. Go back and play it. It STILL looks amazing today.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

It's using a modern architecture. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)

I was talking about the 480, silly. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I was talking about the 480, silly. :P

I didn't realize. My bad.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

He was talking about the 480 being 4 gens behind.

Compare the power consumption to a 750ti or something maybe a 760

He was talking about the 480 being 4 gens behind.

Compare the power consumption to a 750ti or something maybe a 760

750 Ti, it consumes way less power because it's Maxwell.

And yes, I already resolved my mistake with @tmcclelland455.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

750 Ti, it consumes way less power because it's Maxwell.

And yes, I already resolved my mistake with @tmcclelland455.

I noticed, I was a little late to the party. But that is exactly the point. 4 months after the consoles are released they are out performed by an entry level part.

I noticed, I was a little late to the party. But that is exactly the point. 4 months after the consoles are released they are out performed by an entry level part.

Yes but as I've said before, the goal is not ultimate performance with consoles or they would cost a lot more. The goal is to have a stable platform that is easy to use and that will be stable for a long time so developers can optimize games for it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yes but as I've said before, the goal is not ultimate performance with consoles or they would cost a lot more. The goal is to have a stable platform that is easy to use and that will be stable for a long time so developers can optimize games for it.

Sure, but they could have started with better performance, with the PS3 and Xbox 360, they were loosing money for the first while because they were selling the consoles for less than they costed.

This time around they are making profits from the get go.

And I partly blame some devs for this, but, Now that the consoles are x86 I wish devs would port the other way, not from Console to PC but from PC to console.

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with people who want to play on consoles, I just think that Devs and hardware makers could be doing a lot more to improve experience on both platforms, PC and console.

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with people who want to play on consoles, I just think that Devs and hardware makers could be doing a lot more to improve experience on both platforms, PC and console.

But here's where we get back to the economies of scale. I also don't believe they could have sold the last gen at a loss, but that's another question.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't feel like their "PC Master Race", when It's TRUE FACT.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz