Sony will sell it's SquareEnix shares to stay afloat

GoodBytes

As we know, Sony is doing massive cutting and selling of everything it can to stay afloat.
The company has been bleeding money yearly for a great number of years and now it can no longer continue.
To avoid going under and file for bankruptcy, the company has sold it's headquarters, PC division, fired large amount of employees, TV division, and more.

final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-in-game

One of the new thing the company has announced that it will sell, is it's entire shares in SquareEnix, the studio behind Final Fantasy series, reports The Verge.
Sony has 8.2% shares of the company, making it the largest shareholder.
Sony expected to make 4.8 billion yen from this transaction.

Sony is looking to sell its 9.52 million common shares in Square Enix to global financial company SMBC Nikko Securities Inc. Through Sony's own video game division Sony Computer Entertainment, the company holds the equity of 8.2 percent of Square's issued shares — making Sony one of the global publisher and developer's largest shareholders.

Based on current prevailing market value, Sony's full stake is worth 16 billion yen, while Sony said it is expecting to gain 4.8 billion yen profit from the sale. This one-off profit will be included as "other income" in Sony's financial results for the first fiscal quarter of the current business year ending March 31, 2015. Sony will disclose the final profit for the sale tomorrow, April 17.

Source and image source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/16/5620244/sony-selling-square-enix-shares

What do you think about this?
Do you think it is a smart move?
Will make SquareEnix make more games on all platform? Do you think that the company will be more free for more creative ideas?
Or nothing will change as Sony has only 8.9% of the shares, despite the largest shareholder.

What the hell is happening to Sony?Are they doing THAT bad?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Ouch. Seems like they really are in a bad position right now...

COMIC SANS

Sad, 4.8 billion yen is $469152000, it is a lot of money but I wonder if it will be enough for them to stay afloat.

I knew Sony was gonna die, but damn...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Sad, 4.8 billion yen is $469152000, it is a lot of money but I wonder if it will be enough for them to stay afloat.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

they made great games

but set very high expectations

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I can't imagine how Microsoft feels about it.

I can:

Stephen-colbert-celebration-gif.gif

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

This could mean that we could see Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts come to PC.
Because those where the ones made by that Studio.
All other Square Enix games came to PC like Tomb Raider,Just Cause 2,Sleeping Dogs,Hitman Absolution,Deus Ex,Final Fantasy 14 ect.
Only the ones that Sony had its hands on stayed console exclusive.(FF13 was actually planed as a Ps3 exclusive at the beginning)

Maybe we will get now Final Fantasy 15 on PC :D (Or even Kingdom Hearts 3 :o )

RTX2070OC 

they made great games

In the fucking 90s, ever since X they've gone from "meh" to "fucking kill it with fire!" in Quality. Besides after some of the shit Square has done with crap like All of the bravest on the mobile, all I can say it's good fucking riddance: took Sony long enough to drop this boat anchor. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

They aren't that better off in the entertainment division, hence the heavy rumors that the new CEO was just going to drop all of it the fuck off to stay afloat. Honestly not to turn into a tinfoil head prophet here but this are clear signs of another incoming videogame crash.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Microsoft doesn't care. Sony isn't essential for MS to continue. Apart from gaming, they don't really sit in many of the similar segments.

Hell, even with the gaming MS takes billion dollar loses every now and then. But they can afford to, oh can they afford to. Sony can't. If anything, gaming and entertainment are the few things Sony has left.

And you wonder why they couldn't afford to have the PS4 be priced at 500 and be a sales flop. They can't have it not sell. They really need the money that the PS4 generates since its on a short list of things that Sony sells that can drive profits. 

I hate to say this, but they brought it on themselves. Years of mismanagement and dicking around in random segments and just general corporate stupidity. I mean, they are selling off BUILDINGS just to keep costs in line. 

Microsoft doesn't care. Sony isn't essential for MS to continue. Apart from gaming, they don't really sit in many of the similar segments.

Hell, even with the gaming MS takes billion dollar loses every now and then. But they can afford to, oh can they afford to. Sony can't. If anything, gaming and entertainment are the few things Sony has left.

And you wonder why they couldn't afford to have the PS4 be priced at 500 and be a sales flop. They can't have it not sell. They really need the money that the PS4 generates since its on a short list of things that Sony sells that can drive profits. 

I hate to say this, but they brought it on themselves. Years of mismanagement and dicking around in random segments and just general corporate stupidity. I mean, they are selling off BUILDINGS just to keep costs in line. 

Something tells me the gaming section of Microsoft cares.  Sony sure stuck it to Microsoft a year ago.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

So does Sony loose money on almost everything except their consoles?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

They aren't that better off in the entertainment division, hence the heavy rumors that the new CEO was just going to drop all of it the fuck off to stay afloat. Honestly not to turn into a tinfoil head prophet here but this are clear signs of another incoming videogame crash.

Something tells me the gaming section of Microsoft cares.  Sony sure stuck it to Microsoft a year ago.

How much time you guys give to video game consoles? This "new" generation of consoles feels so mediocre in my opinion, even thou I prefer gaming on a PC, I've always had some consoles. But this time, I don't feel like buying a PS4 nor an Xbox One.

How much time you guys give to video game consoles? This "new" generation of consoles feels so mediocre in my opinion, even thou I prefer gaming on a PC, I've always had some consoles. But this time, I don't feel like buying a PS4 nor an Xbox One.

I actually really and truly enjoy my WiiU.

And I don't want the games on it on the PC, despite a, without a doubt, a nice graphical jump.

Why? because I just can't see Nintendo games.. at least many of them, be playable on PC. UNLESS. They work on the controller and adapt it for PC.

So far, I find the WiiU the most next gen than the other console in terms of gaming.

However, whether you care or not, that is up to you, the XBox One, as an entertainment device, is the most next gen, complete with TV integration.

PS4, is the most safe console ever. It has practically the controller since the PS1, and the same console as the PS1, just graphical and cpu bump. I guess you can it see as like upgrading a PC. It better... but will NOT provide you with an unique experience in any way shape or form. Even the touch-pad on the PS4 controller is not even in use.

I guess for me, a console is a device that seek a unique experience.

Nothing in a console is a gimmick unless, it is not part of the console initially.

To me a gimmick is a feature that is not in use in any way by most games.

Well, I'll put it this way, I'm selling my Xbox One and building a beast rig.  These consoles are EXTREMELY underwhelming.  The only thing that truly sold me were the media functions on the X1.  I figure I'll sell it, put the money toward the PC, and then when something comes out that's a little more mature when it comes to controlling your tv and what not with your voice, I'll buy that.

Everything else on the consoles is a bit of a joke compared to a PC.

They didn't really stick it to MS, more that they capitalized on MS's greedy DRM BS.

It's sad to see Sony as a company struggling, Having grown up in the 80's the company was the main stay for innovation in the entertainment world. They were pushing technology on many sides before their ideas became mainstream.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I actually really and truly enjoy my WiiU.

And I don't want the games on it on the PC, despite a, without a doubt, a nice graphical jump.

Why? because I just can't see Nintendo games.. at least many of them, be playable on PC. UNLESS. They work on the controller and adapt it for PC.

The Nintendo consoles are kinda set apart(huge fan of Zelda and the SSB series)... I really enjoy them too, I have a WiiU next to me waiting for the new SSB.

Well, I'll put it this way, I'm selling my Xbox One and building a beast rig.  These consoles are EXTREMELY underwhelming.  The only thing that truly sold me were the media functions on the X1.  I figure I'll sell it, put the money toward the PC, and then when something comes out that's a little more mature when it comes to controlling your tv and what not with your voice, I'll buy that.

Everything else on the consoles is a bit of a joke compared to a PC.

Yeah, the only thing I like is the controller, which I'll buy once Microsoft release the drivers for PC.

They didn't really stick it to MS, more that they capitalized on MS's greedy DRM BS.

It's sad to see Sony as a company struggling, Having grown up in the 80's the company was the main stay for innovation in the entertainment world. They were pushing technology on many sides before their ideas became mainstream.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't their policy similar to Steam's?

My only response is:

People want square enix shares?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

The Nintendo consoles are kinda set apart(huge fan of Zelda and the SSB series)... I really enjoy them too, I have a WiiU next to me waiting for the new SSB.

Yeah, the only thing I like is the controller, which I'll buy once Microsoft release the drivers for PC.

The controller IS great.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't their policy similar to Steam's?

I didn't actually mean to insinuate you were wrong, I agree with your sentiment.

But no their original DRM policy was almost identical to MS's, but because MS's was released first Sony got to see the backlash and rushed to change it before release.  When the PS4 came out there was a compulsory  update that had to be done before the machine could be used, this was to undo all the DRM they had built into it.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/06/sony-changed-playstation-4-drm-policy-after-xbox-one-outrage/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.