Sony will sell it's SquareEnix shares to stay afloat

GoodBytes

The Sony Gaming Division operates as a separate LLC entity. I think if Sony Entertainment goes belly up, the Sony Music, Film and Gaming divisions will remain in some other manifestation

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

they made great games

but set very high expectations

square enix isn t closing only getting new overlords.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

i was specifically talking about the last few games they made like tomb raider

Oh you mean the actually decent quality, western studio produced titles they still treat as second class citizens next to their pretentious, boring, stupid fucking drivel like FFXIII? Yeah someone needs to get those franchises the fuck away from Square. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh you mean the actually decent quality, western studio produced titles they still treat as second class citizens next to their pretentious, boring, stupid fucking drivel like FFXIII? Yeah someone needs to get those franchises the fuck away from Square. 

I'd like to point out that without SquareEnix those games might not even exist. Eidos was all but dead when SE bought them. Who knows what would have become of the studios and IPs had SE not come in.

I'd like to point out that without SquareEnix those games might not even exist. Eidos was all but dead when SE bought them. Who knows what would have become of the studios and IPs had SE not come in.

I'm not saying the studios being kept alive wasn't a good thing, I just have a problem with Square using them as Gaijin scapegoats: Tomb Raider does great, selling millions but suffered budget problems and didn't achieve Call of Duty sales levels? Let's denounce them. Final Fantasy XIII had even crazier budgets, 3 fucking sequels planned and turned out to be a gigantic motherfucking piece of shit when compared to Tomb Raider? Who cares  we're the JRPG master race! Keep throwing money at advertisement for it! What, those other studios we own could use some advertisement as well? Yeah I've got some pocket change there you go western peasants.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm not saying the studios being kept alive wasn't a good thing, I just have a problem with Square using them as Gaijin scapegoats: Tomb Raider does great, selling millions but suffered budget problems and didn't achieve Call of Duty sales levels? Let's denounce them. Final Fantasy XIII had even crazier budgets, 3 fucking sequels planned and turned out to be a gigantic motherfucking piece of shit when compared to Tomb Raider? Who cares  we're the JRPG master race! Keep throwing money at advertisement for it! What, those other studios we own could use some advertisement as well? Yeah I've got some pocket change there you go western peasants.

Tomb Raider is an example of the overblown AAA budget problem in the industry. It's not the only successful AAA title that did "poorly" according to it's publisher. Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Deus Ex all got good advertisement from SE, they threw Thief out to die but given how the game turned out anyway it's pretty easy to tell why they didn't give it a major marketing push. XIII was a bad game but obviously it was popular enough to warrant multiple sequels.

Tomb Raider is an example of the overblown AAA budget problem in the industry. It's not the only successful AAA title that did "poorly" according to it's publisher. Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Deus Ex all got good advertisement from SE, they threw Thief out to die but given how the game turned out anyway it's pretty easy to tell why they didn't give it a major marketing push. XIII was a bad game but obviously it was popular enough to warrant multiple sequels.

Right, those are all fair points. And full disclosure: my xenophobia jokes aside I would be just as pissed if we were talking about other major publishers that happen to be western like EA (they certainly got a ton of properties I used to love and have been shat out of EA in atrocious new flavours) The thing that bother's me is that Square can also be consider sort of an innovator of the overblown budget ever since FFX starting this entire, wasteful and dangerous as all fucking hell trend in AAA gaming,

-------

Current Rig

-------

Sorry I have to bring this up.

You added "to stay afloat" to the title to draw attention to the thread. In fact other sources say that the sale occurred for "no explicit reason" - eurogamer.net or  even your own source polygon.com says the sale occurred due to the "ongoing effort to streamline its portfolio and operations."

In fact you even misquoted theverge.com "One of the new thing the company has announced that it will sell, is it's entire shares in SquareEnix, the studio behind Final Fantasy series, reports The Verge." They haven't released any articles that can be found by the simple search "Sony Square Enix" for months. http://puu.sh/8cEeR.png

Please correct this and/or provide a source for such radical statements.

I love eating mice and I'm scared of dogs. So just like a cat. Well. What'd you expect?

Sony financial problem is well known.

A company doesn't sale things because it is in a mood of doing so.

Sony states that in 2014, they will be doing various cuts and restructuring to turn the company around. This is by doing an ongoing effort in streamlining the company, so shrinking it.

This sale is obviously related. It is a very bad move form Sony if that was the case. The PS4 sold very well lately, meaning the possibility for high profitability for Square is high.

It is always best to have a continuous incomes, then to sale at a high price, and have no revenue.

UNLESS Sony knows something about the company, where they see it go down the drain, and that would be insider trading, which is illegal.

Companies downsize all the time to cut costs and keep making profit for their shareholders.

SquareEnix has been useless for quite some time. 

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Sorry I have to bring this up.

You added "to stay afloat" to the title to draw attention to the thread. In fact other sources say that the sale occurred for "no explicit reason" - eurogamer.net or  even your own source polygon.com says the sale occurred due to the "ongoing effort to streamline its portfolio and operations."

In fact you even misquoted theverge.com "One of the new thing the company has announced that it will sell, is it's entire shares in SquareEnix, the studio behind Final Fantasy series, reports The Verge." They haven't released any articles that can be found by the simple search "Sony Square Enix" for months. http://puu.sh/8cEeR.png

Please correct this and/or provide a source for such radical statements.

No company explicitly explains why they are selling off assets/investments when they are in financial trouble( it's dangerous form and causes stock value to drop),  so of course you won't see it reported anywhere, however this article I think accurately reflects the situation Sony are in and it echoes the OP's comments quite well.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/04/17/sony-sells-off-all-its-square-enix-shares/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.