Sony will sell it's SquareEnix shares to stay afloat

GoodBytes

If/When Sony collapses, I would be interested in watching a documentary of their rise/fall.

I stopped buying Sony products a decade ago.  I wasn't really a conscious decision.  It was more like, I didn't want to pay a premium for the brand name and didn't want to deal with proprietary media or compatibility issues with other hardware.

Looks like I wasn't the only one.

I didn't actually mean to insinuate you were wrong, I agree with your sentiment.

But no their original DRM policy was almost identical to MS's, but because MS's was released first Sony got to see the backlash and rushed to change it before release.  When the PS4 came out there was a compulsory  update that had to be done before the machine could be used, this was to undo all the DRM they had built into it.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/06/sony-changed-playstation-4-drm-policy-after-xbox-one-outrage/

Oh okay got ya.  

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

wow, i wonder how much longer sony will be able to function given the current state they are in.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Although people rip PS4s out of Sony's hands they don't make enough money? That's sad.

I'm not a console fan anymore but they are our last anchor against iOS/android games which are flooding the market.

144Hz goodness

Although people rip PS4s out of Sony's hands they don't make enough money? That's sad.

I'm not a console fan anymore but they are our last anchor against iOS/android games which are flooding the market.

That's because they are gaining little to no profit from the PS4, I believe they are barely breaking even after all of the manufacturing, R&D, fees, shipping, etc.

I actually really and truly enjoy my WiiU.

And I don't want the games on it on the PC, despite a, without a doubt, a nice graphical jump.

Why? because I just can't see Nintendo games.. at least many of them, be playable on PC. UNLESS. They work on the controller and adapt it for PC.

You evidently never experienced the joys of emulation with a proper controller. Even Wii games are usually a better experience on the PC since you can crank up more detail and resolution than what the Wii could have handled.

-------

Current Rig

-------

My only response is:

People want square enix shares?

Hey if I was a billionare I'd buy em, fire the entire executive staff and most big name developers and just remake FFVII in HD and then collect all the profits Square just doesn't seem to fucking want.

I'd likely also hire Nobuo Uematsu, Hironobu Sakaguchi and Akira Toriyama and tell em "Work on a proper, HD Chrono Trigger/Cross sequel"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hey if I was a billionare I'd buy em, fire the entire executive staff and most big name developers and just remake FFVII in HD and then collect all the profits Square just doesn't seem to fucking want.

I'd likely also hire Nobuo Uematsu, Hironobu Sakaguchi and Akira Toriyama and tell em "Work on a proper, HD Chrono Trigger/Cross sequel"

There's a difference between buying shares and buying a majority controlling interest in shares.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

There's a difference between buying shares and buying a majority controlling interest in shares.

Well fuck it I'll buy enough to assume control, is not like their stock is worth shit anyway that's the point: I'm a billionaire, they're on the way out let me have fun.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You evidently never experienced the joys of emulation with a proper controller. Even Wii games are usually a better experience on the PC since you can crank up more detail and resolution than what the Wii could have handled.

You have clearly never even looked at a gaming console.

You would know that emulation is crap, and takes YEARS before it comes close to fine. Even N64 emulators, despite all these years don't have all the games working at 100% exactly like console.

Wii, as it's the newest is terrible. You have graphical glitches even on the simplest game like The New Super Mario Brother. Yes the graphics are amazing, but the many games crashes, have audio issues, and/or graphical issues.

That aside, playing most Wii games with keyboard and mouse is impossible. You need a Wiimote.

Zelda Skyward Sword is impossible to play with keyboard/mouse or even XBox 360 controller.

And for the games that you can make it work, to me, it's like playing a game with no sound effects and music. Why?m Because you just broke the experience.

If you check Dolphin emulator forum, you will see that the top topics are how to try and get the Wiimote working. And people seeking models that will work with the emulator and Bluetooth stack that they have.

You have clearly never even looked at a gaming console.

Actually it wasn't that long ago, I gave Xenosaga a try on Dolphin on the PC. My current rig isn't quite up to par but it's old now (5 years old) other than that it's actually fairly playable. And yes you can in fact pair a wii classic controller and wii mote to a PC, though I never thought I needed it for the kind of games I'd be interested in (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Time to reshape the company and go for a more profitable route. Nothing too risky.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

So does Sony loose money on almost everything except their consoles?

Nope. Sony gaming division is turning a profit but it won't make or break them. Sony's insurance division is the real money for the company.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I've always liked Sony, and all of their products that I have owned are reliable and simply just work as advertised. Hope they can pull through.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

That's because they are gaining little to no profit from the PS4, I believe they are barely breaking even after all of the manufacturing, R&D, fees, shipping, etc.

This was just like the previous play stations though, they make the money back (I believe ~20%) on taking a cut from games, movies etc that they sell. Plus it costs money to deliver patches and the like. The PS3 lost them $100 or more per console sold at the beginning, but prices of the components dropped and it had a long shelf life and made them tons.

Just like Google Nexus devices, the low price hooks you in to the platform and then they slowly make back the margins and profits.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't their policy similar to Steam's?

Steam doesn't require an online check every 24 hours, you just have to be online to activate and download your game then can play offline all you want. If you don't log out.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

This was just like the previous play stations though, they make the money back (I believe ~20%) on taking a cut from games, movies etc that they sell. Plus it costs money to deliver patches and the like. The PS3 lost them $100 or more per console sold at the beginning, but prices of the components dropped and it had a long shelf life and made them tons.

Just like Google Nexus devices, the low price hooks you in to the platform and then they slowly make back the margins and profits.

Well yes, but I was just talking about the initial investment. 

@GoodBytes "will sale" please change it to will sell <,<,<,<,<,<,

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

In the fucking 90s, ever since X they've gone from "meh" to "fucking kill it with fire!" in Quality. Besides after some of the shit Square has done with crap like All of the bravest on the mobile, all I can say it's good fucking riddance: took Sony long enough to drop this boat anchor. 

i was specifically talking about the last few games they made like tomb raider

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Sony gaming division lost about $5 billion between 2007 and the beginning of 2011.  They were losing over $300 on each console when they first started selling.  They gaming division has been making money since 2011, but the PS3 hardware and game sales will never make up for that huge loss.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Oops! Thanks! :)

yupyup, surprised no one else said anything lol, guess its just my ocd

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I stopped buying Sony products a decade ago.  I wasn't really a conscious decision.  It was more like, I didn't want to pay a premium for the brand name and didn't want to deal with proprietary media or compatibility issues with other hardware.

Looks like I wasn't the only one.

Now that you mention it, I too have stoped buying their products almost a decade ago, and It wasn't conscious at all... More like because they had so many proprietary technologies tied to their stuff like the Memory Stick Pro cards for the PSP and their java phones, or it was outperformed by cheaper competitors like samsung, panasonic, etc...

Their audio isn't premium like it was back in the 90's, and their BluRay campaign didn't go as well as their VHS one back in the day...

Also don't they own some high-profile film and video studios? I'm not really into that...

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Sony keeps getting into weird markets though. I mean they are doing their own VR and everything. Probably spend way too much on R&D.

My only response is:

People want square enix shares?

The shares are a hold over from Squaresoft. Sony owned a rather significant part of Squaresoft back in the day. After the failure of Spirit's Within there was talk of Sony coming in and purchasing them outright. When Enix bought Square part of it included stock trading and the like and Sony retained quite a bit of stock in the new company.