Noctua fans loud AF

AndeSandwich
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you might have to send the entire cooler back to them though

Probably not. It should just be the fans if anything at all. 

@AndeSandwich Have you tried running the fans off of the heatsink and seeing the noise continues? Are you sure that the noise is from those fans and not something else? Does stopping the fans with your hands stop the noise? 

My Noctua NH-D15 has been running really loud ever since i got it i do not understand this as many people praise noctua coolers for being silent thats why i bought it. Here is a video i recorded so you can hear it. BTW i used cinebench in this video.

7 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

My Noctua NH-D15 has been running really loud ever since i got it i do not understand this as many people praise noctua coolers for being silent thats why i bought it. Here is a video i recorded so you can hear it.

Video doesn't display for me, but the first two thoughts are: 1) you could have bad fans and 2) did you mount them properly?

either you got a DOA, you're running the fans at 100%, or something else is making the sound.

(also, the video isnt there)

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Video doesn't display for me, but the first two thoughts are: 1) you could have bad fans and 2) did you mount them properly?

Ok, the video should work now. I don't think I mounted it wrong because I followed the instructions.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

either you got a DOA, you're running the fans at 100%, or something else is making the sound.

(also, the video isnt there)

Ik, I just posted it.

10 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

My Noctua NH-D15 has been running really loud ever since i got it i do not understand this as many people praise noctua coolers for being silent thats why i bought it. Here is a video i recorded so you can hear it.

That sounds like a jet engine. Return the cooler and get a replacement. 

Just now, AndeSandwich said:

Ik, I just posted it.

if that's the noctua fans, thats a DOA.

Just now, 1kv said:

That sounds like a jet engine. Return the cooler and get a replacement. 

Yeah, the issue is that i got it almost a year ago so i don't know if i can return it.

2 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

Yeah, the issue is that i got it almost a year ago so i don't know if i can return it.

Contact Noctua directly. They're normally pretty good on Warranty stuff. Or they might know how to solve the problem. Have you checked if it's both fans or just one?

Just now, AndeSandwich said:

I checked online and the RTB (return to base) warranty is 5 years. 

When did the fans start sounding like this? If it was recently then you probably have bad fans.

Sounds like they are running at full speed. Use something like Speedfan to check what speed they are running at.

You could also just check in the BIOS.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Sounds like they are running at full speed. Use something like Speedfan to check what speed they are running at.

You could also just check in the BIOS.

That was because I was using cinebench to demonstrate how loud they are when I play games

4 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

That was because I was using cinebench to demonstrate how loud they are when I play games

Your fans really, really shouldn't be hitting 100% under a Cinebench load. Unless the CPU isn't contacting the heatsink properly or you have it OC'd to the limit.

Still, something is wrong with the fans. Either they're not mounting correctly or one of the fans has a balance issue. Noctua fans, under 100% load, are still quite quiet. 

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Your fans really, really shouldn't be hitting 100% under a Cinebench load. Unless the CPU isn't contacting the heatsink properly or you have it OC'd to the limit.

Still, something is wrong with the fans. Either they're not mounting correctly or one of the fans has a balance issue. Noctua fans, under 100% load, are still quite quiet. 

I have a 7700k That has been overclocked to 4.8 GHz. I followed the instructions when i installed it.

3 minutes ago, AndeSandwich said:

I have a 7700k That has been overclocked to 4.8 GHz. I followed the instructions when i installed it.

Bad mounts happen, but the Fans really shouldn't sound like that.

Noctua support is great, just tell them whats up and they will find you a solution probably. you get mounts for free and if the fans failed this fast then you might be able to get them replaced

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Noctua support is great, just tell them whats up and they will find you a solution probably. you get mounts for free and if the fans failed this fast then you might be able to get them replaced

I already contacted them 30 minutes ago but they haven't responded yet but the fans have sounded like this since i got them.

Take the fan's off the cooler and see if it happens, if it does, you got a bad batch of fans and need to try and get new ones. If it doesn't, you had a bad mount. Noctua are very quiet so I think you did get a bad batch and need to look into a replacement.

This is how it should sound. 

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, AndeSandwich said:

I already contacted them 30 minutes ago but they haven't responded yet but the fans have sounded like this since i got them.

then you should have no problem getting them replaced, you might have to send the entire cooler back to them though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

then you should have no problem getting them replaced, you might have to send the entire cooler back to them though

Ok thank you for the help.

That sounds wrong to me.. even my NF-F12 3000rpm doesn't sound like that..

I think it's time for you to swap them black chromaxed.. ?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you might have to send the entire cooler back to them though

Probably not. It should just be the fans if anything at all. 

@AndeSandwich Have you tried running the fans off of the heatsink and seeing the noise continues? Are you sure that the noise is from those fans and not something else? Does stopping the fans with your hands stop the noise? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They shouldnt have that high pitched sound.

The Noctua fans iv had, the loudest they get at 100% is usualy due to the sound of the air, and perhaps a smooth low humm.

That sounds like a knackered fan tbh. Check both fans see which one is doing it, its likely just 1.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 11/25/2018 at 3:51 PM, AndeSandwich said:

This sounds exactly like when ypu put a Noctua 140 mm fan in a pull configuration without the proper heat sink spacer. I can see that you have the D15 running in push-pull on the right hand tower.

Normally a D15 should be set up as Push - Push on each tower. Thw middle fan needs to be clipped onto the left heatsink, not the right one.

The whining sound comes from turbulent air on the middle fan intake.

I am 100% sure moving the fan will solve this issue

Edit: Noticed I can't really tell the direction of airflow, I assumed it was upwards. If downwards, the fan in the bottom needs to be moved up onto the left heat sink. Either way, you need to change the fan mounting so that the fans are both pushing against the heatsink, not pulling.

This is a good demonstration of what I'm talking about here. I must say though that Ali kinda messed up here because the U14-S does come with extra thick rubber pads for the fan in pull. I can't remember if the D15 came with them though.