Valve Explains Why There Has Not Been Another Half-Life sequel

rossa1298

Before you read this, this is my first post really about news so if you would like to give advice for next time I would appreciate it :)

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a541792/valve-explains-lack-of-half-life-sequels-we-want-to-try-new-things.html

So for the people who still care about the long awaited half-life 3/Episode 3, Gabe Newell has spoken about why there has not been any official announcements about the game.

In an interview with The Washington Post Gabe told them that valve could of concentrated on developing Single-Player sequels but they wanted to try different things.

"When we started out we were a single-player video game company that could have been really successful just doing Half Life sequel after Half Life sequel, but we collectively said let's try to make multiplayer games even though there's never been a commercial successful multiplayer game. "Then we tried to do Steam. There were a bunch of people internally who thought Steam was a really bad idea, but what they didn't think was that they would tell the people who were working on Steam what to do with their time."

So one of the main reasons why HL3 has not been confirmed is because they wanted try making other games that where not just single-player. So with their titles such as TF2 and DoTA 2 having so much attention and are being on a lot has made a distraction from the Half-life series and they are most likely making new and great ideas for a new multiplayer game instead (Like new new not like sequels)

Atleast they explained why there hasn't been and not why there won't be. Makes me happy. Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Haha. Always good to keep hopes up. But if they don't do anything about it this year the hype will drop again. Unless that's what they are waiting on.....

I really don't understand all this fixation of Half-Life. They are decent games, sure, but they are nowhere near as good as people make them out to be. If HL 3 finally comes out, sure, I'll play it, but it's not something that I couldn't live without.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

I think it'll happen eventually. I'm sure of it.

It's just not fair to let Gordon Freeman die in this manner. He deserves better for what he has done for Valve over the years. And I mean that.....and this is my first post here as well.

They will release it when they know its good enough for the hype.

HALF LIFE 3 IS CONFIRMED!!! It has been for a while, how do you not know this lol. 

Valve does a terrible job of hiding these things. I knew hl3 was coming years ago. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Didnt some people who won a competition of a tour of Valve HQ leak pictures of codename for Left 4 dead 3 and HF3? its because they spent a lot of time creating a new engine for there games.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I really don't understand all this fixation of Half-Life. They are decent games, sure, but they are nowhere near as good as people make them out to be. If HL 3 finally comes out, sure, I'll play it, but it's not something that I couldn't live without.

You can't understand the love that gamers have for half life? You don't need to. People love it and that is all you need to know  ;)

Oh and btw, it realy is THAT good of a game.

"There were a bunch of people internally who thought Steam was a really bad idea [...]" I lol that every perceived "bad" idea turns out being a successful one in some form or another. Where would Valve be without Steam today? Where would PC gaming be?

The next time someone says I have a "bad" idea I'm doing it haha

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

HALF LIFE 3 IS CONFIRMED!!! It has been for a while, how do you not know this lol. 

Valve does a terrible job of hiding these things. I knew hl3 was coming years ago. 

Whats your source?

Who confirmed it?

Whats your source?

Who confirmed it?

Obvious troll is obvious.

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Imagine if Infinity Ward had released only one of two COD sequels. People would be drooling for the next one. That's basically what's happened; Valve doesn't put out enough content to satisfy their fans.

Whats your source?

Who confirmed it?

It's an open secret that Valve is developing new Half Life content. However unlike other devs they have no financial pressure on them to release new games; they are so cash rish that they can just keep working on it for years and going back to the drawing board as many times as they want until they are satisfied.

Obvious troll is obvious.

more of a calling out then actually asking for the source

It's an open secret that Valve is developing new Half Life content. However unlike other devs they have no financial pressure on them to release new games; they are so cash rish that they can just keep working on it for years and going back to the drawing board as many times as they want until they are satisfied.

really dont think thats the case, they are not going to just announce a finished game one day, i highly doubt its in full development

They will release it when they know its good enough for the hype.

I think they are going wait till the hype goes down. So the hype will go back up

I think they are going wait till the hype goes down. So the hype will go back up

lol who knows

ill definitely buy it when it comes out but im fine with just re installing HL1/2 once every other year and still enjoying it like it was the first time i played them

If the quality is the same as the first two, I can dig a game every decade. With the Half-Life 2 I am still finding new mods and new reasons to replay it. Even Half-Life 1 will get a visit from me once in awhile. 

3 Lines of text in the quote. Half-Life 3 CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard