Star Citizen Has Now Accrued over $200 million in Crowdfunding

7 hours ago, Bensemus said:

But the game isn’t done when you pre-order. The game is also being made by an established studio with multiple revenue streams. SC has none of that. As for it being a scam I can’t really see how it is. They’ve released taxes and such. How the money is being spent isn’t a closely guarded secret. They have weekly videos detailing what’s being worked on. If it was a scam they would be doing a terrible job with how much of the money is being spent on actual stuff. 

That's what I believe too.  It can easily come across as suspicious and schemish, but it's definitely something the company still believes in or they wouldn't be so transparent, I think.  Honestly I'm fairly certain even after a release happens (if) people will still complain and class-action lawsuits will be filed due to broken promises etc.  Think anime fan on prom night reaction.

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

games I've pre-ordered so far are finished, and I have them in my game collection.

after day 1, week 1, and month later patches maybe

over $200 million in Crowdfunding

Wow, its so tempting just to fuck off with the cash and chillax in a non extraditing country like Brasil.

The Humbolt Bronco's had their crowdfunding monies secured by the law and monies were never withdrawn even for life saving operations and rehab.

200 million still isn't enough money for the huge scope of Star Citizen. Most of the AAA titles coming now these days, the budgets are much higher then 200 million.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Why do people keep giving this game money? It's vaporware.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Wow, its so tempting just to fuck off with the cash and chillax in a non extraditing country like Brasil.

I bet Chris Roberts gave himself as the CEO a nice salary. Don´t forget he also employs family members.

9 hours ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Q

Fyi, framerate improved significantly in 3.3, or so I am told. People with 1080's are seeing 60fps most of the time.

I'm going to take that with a grain of salt since I only use a 1050 Ti. I'll see if they actually did optimize it once I re-downloaded the game but regardless, this game had such potential and it sort of still has, but the amount of funding and whatever that has been put into this game is just astonishing as it is still unfinished after so many years, I've become quite suspicious about them. As I said, Half-Life 3 has a bigger chance of ever coming out than this game at this rate. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I bet Chris Roberts gave himself as the CEO a nice salary. Don´t forget he also employs family members.

If you're talking about his brother Erin Roberts, he's kind of been working with Chris for decades.  He worked on the art for the original Wing Commander game.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0731086/

On 11/18/2018 at 3:10 AM, leadeater said:

The funding campaign was for a game though, a specific one. I'm sure people were pledging money for that not for someone to start a company. If the game was good enough and sold well bringing in good revenue then you can turn that in to a wider company with development goals beyond a single game or a much larger expanded scope.

A bit ass about face if that was the point in my view.

They have 200 million dollars and what do they have to show for it, not a heck of a lot. Half Life 2 40mil, Crysis 3 66mil, The Witcher 3 46mil, GTA V 146mil.

There's nothing specifically wrong with what they started, unless it was to fund a company not a game, but seriously they have 200 million dollars. Lets not under state just how large that is for game development, not including advertising.

On 11/18/2018 at 3:15 AM, Nicnac said:

I totally agree! I believe that people should have been made aware that they were primarily pledging for a company that will eventually produce a game, not the other way around. At least that's the only way to justify the enormous production value...

(I'm waiting for the game to come out tho... not gonna pledge anything)

People should also keep in mind that this 200 million is in (basically) pre order sales, it does not mean the game has the final budget of 200 million. we don't know (to my knowledge) how much of the budget has been spent so far. It is like if a group of 10 people gave you $4 per person to make 2 pizzas, it does not mean that the pizza will have a budget of $40. It could cost you $10 worth of ingredients, $2 to cook, $5 to buy add on services (plates, napkins, silverware, ect)

15 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

They started back in 2012. Now it's 2018. It's been 5+ years, and they need more time? Hey as long a people keep paying for their "next update", there is no need to release it.

The size and ambition of this game 5 years would be quick, some other games that are as big of projects took over 7 years.

games with pre-made engines, and highly efficient schedules still take 2-4 years.

Games show little movement in the early days of development, you don't start seeing a solid release date until it is near 1-1.5 years until release. and the game only really comes together in the last 6 months. That is how I saw it as a investor and alpha/beta tester.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

13 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Don´t forget he also employs family members.

Of course, doesnt everyone do it that way? ;)

My wife is my "secretary" ;)

Children are "consultants"

Ex's are downgraded to "janitorial" duty LOL

All legal

All legit

13 hours ago, Nowak said:

Why do people keep giving this game money? It's vaporware.

Vaporware is something that has no substance, but the fact that I can fire it up and play it, proves this statement false.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

47 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Vaporware is something that has no substance, but the fact that I can fire it up and play it, proves this statement false.

Only 10% has been delivered since its initial launch year, 4 years ago

The game remains a loosely-connected mess of ideas

The game's a victim of scope creep and being way too ambitious for its own good

I used to really look forward to SC but now I'm under the impression that I'll never be able to play it and I'm... pretty okay with that. At least I haven't spent any money on it.

17 hours ago, xentric said:

200 million still isn't enough money for the huge scope of Star Citizen. Most of the AAA titles coming now these days, the budgets are much higher then 200 million.

Yeah, you're right, a project of this size requires a high budget but I think people are upset because it's crowd-funding, they put faith in the idea of this game, so they're putting money down on a promise. Even though a AAA title requires money, it's different when a major publisher is funding development than customers funding a promise. It just seems...wrong...

200 mil ??? And game has been in making for what ?! 8 years now ?

If its anything less than game of the decade when it comes out I will be disappointed as someone whos been hearing about this project since beginning

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE