Chrome opening at seemingly random times to an adfly page

A few days ago I noticed that chrome was opening randomly to an adfly page and I don't have any idea what it started from because my brothers friends are always using it. I have tried scanning with malwarebytes and adwcleaner and I have tried reinstalling chrome and clearing cookies, but even when chrome is closed it will just open up to that adfly page, and while chrome was uninstalled it still opened to the same page in internet explorer. The computer is running Windows 8.1.

Sounds like you have some malware there. I'd wipe and reinstall, if antivirus can't find the infection.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

The easy option is to clean install windows.

The other option is to go through the administrative tools process manager in windows to find exactly what is executing at that time opening the link.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

system restore to a point when the machine wasn't doing this

It looks like it's infected with malware, and since any standard solutions haven't found and removed it I would suggest a backup of all critical files and nuke the whole install and start from scratch along with a long lecture for your brothers friends regarding what they download and what sites they access.

I'm actually amazed how many people forget that system restore exists

Just now, emosun said:

I'm actually amazed how many people forget that system restore exists

Because malware also uses it to restore itself when removed which makes it 100% useless in this case as it would just restore itself.

Just now, demonix00 said:

Because malware also uses it to restore itself when removed which makes it 100% useless in this case as it would just restore itself.

i ..... don't think you know what system restore does

I've just started a system restore at a date that was before the issue started happening and I'm pretty confident that it will work seeing as the issue seemed like some sort of automatic task to be run rather than some robust malware.

43 minutes ago, emosun said:

i ..... don't think you know what system restore does

I don't think you know malware and virus can infect system restore point which will bring them back. System restore point is useless when your PC is infected. External backup is a good restore if you had one. Other options are virus removal tools or clean install Windows. This is why you can't trust Windows System Restore Point at all. External backup is much better than Microsoft sh*t system restore point. 

1 minute ago, Speed Weed said:

I don't think you know malware and virus can infect system restore points which will bring them back. System restore point is useless when your PC is infected. External backup is a good restore if you had one. Other options are virus removal tools or clean install Windows. 

i feel like my grandpa is giving me a lecture on how to use windows 95 or something

1 minute ago, emosun said:

i feel like my grandpa is giving me a lecture on how to use windows 95 or something

I feel like you are making an excuse to hide your mistakes. 

I feel like you are making an excuse to hide your mistakes. 

yeah sure , watch out for those time traveling viruses then. 

Don't even attempt a system restore over just nuking the drive even though the virus has an obvious sign to whether or not it's still on the machine. 

why don't we just throw the hard drive into the sun to be sure the virus is deleted

yeah sure , watch out for those time traveling viruses then. 

Don't even attempt a system restore over just nuking the drive even though the virus has an obvious sign to whether or not it's still on the machine. 

why don't we just throw the hard drive into the sun to be sure the virus is deleted

Windows OS is infected than the system restore points will be infected. This is why you can't trust System Restore Points at all because this crap can easily get cripple by malware or virus, and it doesn't work all the time. 

it doesn't work all the time

...... so..... it sometimes does work then.

so unless you can give a reason to not try it , then they should do a system restore before nuking the drive.

much in the same way you should try putting air in a tire before throwing the whole car away and buying a new one. lol

anyway , I'm done talking with you , they have their options

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

...... so..... it sometimes does work then.

so unless you can give a reason to not try it , then they should do a system restore before nuking the drive.

much in the same way you should try putting air in a tire before throwing the whole car away and buying a new one. lol

anyway , I'm done talking with you , they have their options

When I said it doesn't work all the time, I meant it doesn't fully restore the system to that stage. I am also on MalwareTips forum ( cyber security forum), so I know system restore point is obsolete when it comes to infection machine. You are better much reinstall Windows than perform a system restore point. System restore point is not an effective way to remove virus. External backup is an effective remove virus than Windows system restore point. 

https://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/44731.aspx

In reality, System Restore can create copies of the infected files. And some viruses may be capable of infecting the restore volume as well as the actual system files. When a person cleans their computer using an anti-virus, then uses System Restore, they may inadvertently re-infect the computer. Or if they use System Restore as a means of removal, either the restore will fail (if the anti-virus cleans the virus out during the restore process) or the restore will replace the file with an infected version.

System Restore is a good safety net, and Microsoft was smart in implementing this feature. However for virus removal, there are much better options to use. And because of the nature of System Restore, it is not an effective option for virus removal. It’s nature is to copy files without making sure they are clean, and not allowing anti-virus programs to clean them inside of the restore volume. You’re much better off with having an effective anti-virus solution installed, and disabling System Restore during the virus removal process.

3 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

oh my god you pick a restore point before the issue occurred

in your mind , you think that the restore point somehow is restoring future events? when it literally says that it only saves configurations at certain points and ONLY if you remove a virus then restore a point where the virus was saved does it bring it back. 

and dear lord do you think you could reference an older article , maybe something that was 3 presidential terms ago rather than 2?

god , don't bother commenting anymore. You;re filling this thread with junk

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

oh my god you pick a restore point before the issue occurred

in your mind , you think that the restore point somehow is restoring future events? when it literally says that it only saves configurations at certain points and ONLY if you remove a virus then restore a point where the virus was saved does it bring it back. 

and dear lord do you think you could reference an older article , maybe something that was 3 presidential terms ago rather than 2?

god , don't bother commenting anymore. You;re filling this thread with junk

You don't know crap what you are talking about, therefore you spouting out some dumb sh*t ever.  Please, don't commenting anymore because you haven't done a lot of research thoroughly. Have you read the freaking quote that said " In reality, System Restore can create copies of the infected files. And some viruses may be capable of infecting the restore volume as well as the actual system files. When a person cleans their computer using an anti-virus, then uses System Restore, they may inadvertently re-infect the computer. Or if they use System Restore as a means of removal, either the restore will fail (if the anti-virus cleans the virus out during the restore process) or the restore will replace the file with an infected version." 

System restore point is not a good way to remove virus period. You thought you know everything, but you are not! 

The quote is right in front of your dam face. You are filling this thread with more useless junk than my dumpsters in my dam backyard. 

6 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

in reality, System Restore can create copies of the infected files.

the file has to exist to create the copy

you are misreading this information as 

The virus is copied to every past restore point

rather than

the file is copied to it's current restore point , and every when it existed

6 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

When a person cleans their computer using an anti-virus, then uses System Restore

you have to remove the virus..... then restore to a point when the virus existed to bring it back.

if you restore to a point when the virus didn't exist , then you remove the virus without reinstalling windows.

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

the file has to exist to create the copy

you are misreading this information as 

The virus is copied to every past restore point

rather than

the file is copied to it's current restore point , and every when it existed

you have to remove the virus..... then restore to a point when the virus existed to bring it back.

if you restore to a point when the virus didn't exist , then you remove the virus without reinstalling windows.

Virus can infect system volume as well as the actual system files. All restore points are being modified by the virus; therefore you are re-infecting the machine by just doing a system restore point. This technique is very super old, and it is not complicated for hackers to modified your system restore points to re-infecting the machine when you do a system restore point. When a virus infects a computer it does two main things:
1) It can create files
2) It can modify or delete files

Virus can infect system volume as well as the actual system files. All restore points are being modified by the virus; therefore you are re-infecting the machine by just doing a system restore point. This technique is very super old, and it is not complicated for hackers to modified your system restore points to re-infecting the machine when you do a system restore point. When a virus infects a computer it does two main things:
1) It can create files

and in your mind the amazing world class hackers at adfly modified his system restores points

SO MUCH SO

thats it's not worth a try that the sheer POSSIBILITY that they might not have done that..... that the whole os should be reinstalled

DESPITE zero reason to not even attempt it because the only alternative is deleting the os anyways.

god I'm out , not going to be mansplained anymore do as you will

and in your mind the amazing world class hackers at adfly modified his system restores points

SO MUCH SO

thats it's not worth a try that the sheer POSSIBILITY that they might not have done that..... that the whole os should be reinstalled

DESPITE zero reason to not even attempt it because the only alternative is deleting the os anyways.

god I'm out , not going to be mansplained anymore do as you will

You underestimate hackers will going cost your identity and your data. Hackers are ahead the good guy in cyber security. 

15 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Sounds like you have some malware there. I'd wipe and reinstall, if antivirus can't find the infection.

13 hours ago, Speed Weed said:

1) It can create files

Wipe and reinstall over a browser hijacker? Wow.

15 hours ago, Shadow7212 said:

A few days ago I noticed that chrome was opening randomly to an adfly page and I don't have any idea what it started from because my brothers friends are always using it. I have tried scanning with malwarebytes and adwcleaner and I have tried reinstalling chrome and clearing cookies, but even when chrome is closed it will just open up to that adfly page, and while chrome was uninstalled it still opened to the same page in internet explorer. The computer is running Windows 8.1.

Follow the steps i laid out in this guide. Should be fixed in about 20 minutes if you do. 

6 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Wipe and reinstall over a browser hijacker? Wow.

The virus or malware have to be on the system to hijack the browser. 

1 hour ago, Speed Weed said:

The virus or malware have to be on the system to hijack the browser. 

No shit. Get rid of the malware in 5 minutes or spend hours reinstalling? I linked him to s guide explaining how very simply to secure his computer