Linus should take a look at this!

BlankStars♠

https://www.whirlwindfx.com//pages/about?utm_source=Twitch&utm_campaign=companion

So I saw this thing on a twitch ad, and I think Linus should take a look at this. Apparently it is a wind blower that creates simulated effects in real time. It  reads images on the screen and matches them to the sound files in real time. Based on those readings it will provides warm or cool air, like a fan, adding presence and depth while you game.

image.png.cf927b76893d747e75b07987b5b666ca.png

@LinusTech  Well... It's not every day you see a device that claims to enhance your gaming experience by blowing hot air in your face.

Screams of a KickFarter product to me though.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Interesting concept, though i imagine it would work best with VR. Add some haptic feedback while we're at it

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Never once have I been having an immersive gaming experience and went "you know what would make this even better? WIND!"...

Not to mention... HOT wind. 

18 minutes ago, BlankStars♠ said:

It  reads images on the screen

Read: it has zero idea what's happening on the display and just makes a guess.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Read: it has zero idea what's happening on the display and just makes a guess.

I'm guessing "Screen is white -> must be snow, blow cold!"

"Screen is blue/green/yellow -> must be warm -> blow hot"

Interestingly enough, you could get this to work for real with skyrim/bathesda pretty easily. (With a bit of scripting)

This is quite silly.  They couldn't be bothered to make a special HDMI or DP insert (female on one end and male on the other) to intercept your display signal so it doesn't have to use a camera!?  Not to mention that regardless I imagine the accuracy of this will be poor at best and the usefulness abysmal.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is quite silly.  They couldn't be bothered to make a special HDMI or DP insert (female on one end and male on the other) to intercept your display signal so it doesn't have to use a camera!?  Not to mention that regardless I imagine the accuracy of this will be poor at best and the usefulness abysmal.

I also can't imagine too many gamers wanting something blowing hot air in their faces while gaming. I mean, who the fuck would enjoy that? Most certainly not me. If anything, gamers like staying cool while focusing on games, even more so with competitive titles.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

29 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Not to mention... HOT wind. 

I live in Florida, can confirm that hot wind is gross.

Just now, huilun02 said:

Can it deliver sub-ambient temperature? And explain how it does it?

I'm guessing it's just a heater that turns the heating elements off to blow "cold".

I actually like the concept of these kinds of devices. I believe years ago there was one that was supposed to release various smells.

Where I think these kinds of devices really belong is in the VR space. Imagine being in a VR world and walking through a field of flowers and actually smelling them as a cool breeze blows through your hair.

Until we figure out a way to tap our brains directly into a virtual world e.g. a Matrix or SOA kind of device, these devices will really enhance the experience... provided they actually make some decent devices and developers actually support them.

18 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Where I think these kinds of devices really belong is in the VR space. Imagine being in a VR world and walking through a field of flowers and actually smelling them as a cool breeze blows through your hair.

Yeah, that's great and all... but how is that going to help your K/D ratio?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Yeah, that's great and all... but how is that going to help your K/D ratio?

Haha.

Not every game is about K/D ratios. Some are just about the experience. I'm thinking this kind of tech would mainly be used for single player experiences.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Can it deliver sub-ambient temperature? And explain how it does it?

Not sub ambient. I'm guessing the "cold" air is just a normal fan since blowing air will feel cooler even though it's not since it takes heat away from your body.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Anyone who has been in 4D movies probably can agree with me that even full-scale effects are rather boring. Unless the content is build really heavily on the effects, then it might be worth it. But as added bonus, nope.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So, it runs of usb power and not a dedicated power adapter?

That thing is going to be a big POS.

No way that it can produce any air that you can call warm with like a 10w heater max.

edit: oh it has a dedicated power cord, good, and can draw up to 1000w, good, and only works on 110V, WTF.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, Derrk said:

Interesting concept, though i imagine it would work best with VR. Add some haptic feedback while we're at it

RP1_JB_02140r.0.jpg

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Where is the optional spring powered boxing glove that will punch me every time I get shot?

You know, for realism. 

On 11/6/2018 at 10:05 PM, BlankStars♠ said:

Apparently it is a wind blower that creates simulated effects in real time. It  reads images on the screen and matches them

Good, perhaps an image of a Poppy.