Google changes sign-in, you now need Javascript to sign in

RollTime

Google is changing the sign-in process, and they will now run a "risk assessment" in the background as you sign in.

https://www.techradar.com/news/google-bumps-up-sign-in-security

Google will now run a risk assessment on your account login page that will only allow you to sign in if “nothing looks suspicious.”

However, the catch here is that you need to enable JavaScript as you sign in in order for it to work, and there's no option to turn that off.

This feature is intended to help protect against phishing and it requires that JavaScript be enabled.

Meaning that if you use NoScript to protect your privacy online, you now have to turn it off every time you sign in. And I'm willing to bet they'll be adding some kind of periodic checker that will also require JS. 

This is Google's comment on the situation:

"But, because it may save bandwidth or help pages load more quickly, a tiny minority of our users (0.1%) choose to keep it off. This might make sense if you are reading static content, but we recommend that you keep Javascript on while signing into your Google Account so we can better protect you.”

I think most people who turn off scripts are trying to prevent tracking and stay more anonymous than they would otherwise. Google is conveniently skirting around those people.

Bottom line, will this feature increase security? Sure. Is increasing security Google's only motive here? I doubt it. I think they're using this to try and force people to enable JavaScript, so that they can more easily track them. It may be slightly paranoid, but given Google's track record I think they're deserving of a little paranoia.

it's time

When you log into google you are pretty much already giving up your privacy, if you really are that concerned about javascript you should also be using a vpn and only give google a minimum amount of data about yourself.

Just now, Alexzz_ said:

When you log into google you are pretty much already giving up your privacy, if you really are that concerned about javascript you should also be using a vpn and only give google a minimum amount of data about yourself.

I agree, they already have EVERYTHING on you. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

It’s 2018. I expected nothing less. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

19 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

The point here isn't necessarily that they already know so much about you, it's that they're trying really hard to make sure you can't hide ANYTHING. While it's true being signed in to Google gives them info about you, it was still possible to stop tracking requests and other similar things by blocking Javascript. Now it's no longer an option. 

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

The point here isn't necessarily that they already know so much about you, it's that they're trying really hard to make sure you can't hide ANYTHING. While it's true being signed in to Google gives them info about you, it was still possible to stop tracking requests and other similar things by blocking Javascript. Now it's no longer an option. 

You're all worried about people using google services who care about privacy (which makes no sense) and you forget all of google's scripts loaded into lots of websites.

Ask to turn on JavaScript (IMHO a security nightmare) to do a security risk assessment ok Google sure. What is Google thinking besides taking more data it leaves people open to JavaScript exploits  The irony is strong with this one.

32 minutes ago, RollTime said:

It may be slightly paranoid

It would be if it weren't the truth, but it is.

[insert X-files theme]

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

You're all worried about people using google services who care about privacy (which makes no sense) and you forget all of google's scripts loaded into lots of websites.

That's part of what I'm trying to get at. They might start blocking people from accessing these sites unless they use the google auth "for security".

it's time

1 hour ago, RollTime said:

That's part of what I'm trying to get at. They might start blocking people from accessing these sites unless they use the google auth "for security".

'Nahh, there's no way that could happen....'

-Anonymous

Besides, this makes me wonder if all of these scripts are using our computing power for some gigantic distributed computing network.Maybe there are no Google data centers, all of their processing power comes from internet users ?

What exactly counts as “suspicious to them”?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

they're actively trying to kill anonymity. 100%

You can't sign up a gmail account without phone verification now, and some really old accounts that I had grandfathered in, accounts I've had for 5 years or more and signed up over vpns now REQUIRE that I attach a cell number to fucking LOG IN TO MY EXISTING ACCOUNT. So I've basically had to abandon these emails, since I made these forever ago with the intention of as much anonymity as possible. This lead to the awkward situation on one site where I had to verify an email change using by verifying through my existing email, and I basically had to message the site admins (who actually helped me)
All of my regular emails were hit with this to, but I was willing to tie a cell number. It's damn near impossible these days to find an email service that you dont have to tie info to in order to sign up for a site. Keep in mind that stuff like Yandex is blocked commonly, and Yandex just instantly shadowbans accounts it detects a VPN on, and for some reason exact 50% of accounts on one IP (say a college campus) as soon as they're created. 

Noscript is another part of this, it's used with the tor browser bundle and the same idea is recommended for staying anonymous in general 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

As much as I dislike Google, I find it funny that people are obsessing over JS while logging to Google service. If tracking is your concern, you being on Google at that point means it's already too late for you. And people who block JS do it selectively because some pages just don't work without it. I think the JS content here is really for security purposes...

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

As much as I dislike Google, I find it funny that people are obsessing over JS while logging to Google service. If tracking is your concern, you being on Google at that point means it's already too late for you. And people who block JS do it selectively because some pages just don't work without it. I think the JS content here is really for security purposes...

half of the internet is google. YT is google.  And some sites have an email provider whitelist instead of blacklist. And forget oauth stuff that only lets you use google or FB and no local login

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Suspicious meaning not being able to see up your butthole.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

6 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Suspicious meaning not being able to see up your butthole.

They need that for your topographical anal handshake

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

> Not using Google Search as default

>> Google marks account as suspicious

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

> Not using Google Search as default

>> Google marks account as suspicious

Well rip because I use Bing and Safari on my Mac and on Chrome on my PC. I wish Apple would bring Safari back to Windows again, if they claim to be all about privacy extend the browsers with some of the best user privacy protection protocols to Windows! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, RollTime said:

I think most people who turn off scripts are trying to prevent tracking and stay more anonymous than they would otherwise.

Why should anyone be worried about that? I use noscript, but I use it so websites load quicker and sketchy websites can't give me bad redirects. I whitelist sites like google.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well rip because I use Bing and Safari on my Mac and on Chrome on my PC. I wish Apple would bring Safari back to Windows again, if they claim to be all about privacy extend the browsers with some of the best user privacy protection protocols to Windows! 

I was sort of joking.

Privacy for Windows would be to use duckduckgo and either Brave or Firefox or Tor.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I was sort of joking.

Privacy for Windows would be to use duckduckgo and either Brave or Firefox or Tor.

Oh I know, I guess the "Oh rip" didn't transmit the tone that was going through my head when I typed it xD 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Oh I know, I guess the "Oh rip" didn't transmit the tone that was going through my head when I typed it xD 

Oh and I forgot to mention PrivacyBadger and VPN.

Switching away from Google would help only if you ask them to delete all the info they have on you. And idk if they do it for other countries outside of Europe.

Is this browser only and PC only or does it have anything to do with android phone sign in aswell?

4 hours ago, Alexzz_ said:

When you log into google you are pretty much already giving up your privacy

At least when it comes to the activities you perform on their websites, yes. Either way, good luck watching youtube on the main website without using js, and the same goes for the majority of Google services (with the exception of Google itself perhaps).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*