Google changes sign-in, you now need Javascript to sign in

RollTime

This isn't going to affect the 99% of the consumers out there because they don't disable scripts. It only affect those that does. Disabling script, makes a web load much faster and makes it feel more responsive, but it breaks everything. Like trying to log into a website or doing a online purchase.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

11 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

they're actively trying to kill anonymity. 100%

You can't sign up a gmail account without phone verification now, and some really old accounts that I had grandfathered in, accounts I've had for 5 years or more and signed up over vpns now REQUIRE that I attach a cell number to fucking LOG IN TO MY EXISTING ACCOUNT. So I've basically had to abandon these emails, since I made these forever ago with the intention of as much anonymity as possible. This lead to the awkward situation on one site where I had to verify an email change using by verifying through my existing email, and I basically had to message the site admins (who actually helped me)
All of my regular emails were hit with this to, but I was willing to tie a cell number. It's damn near impossible these days to find an email service that you dont have to tie info to in order to sign up for a site. Keep in mind that stuff like Yandex is blocked commonly, and Yandex just instantly shadowbans accounts it detects a VPN on, and for some reason exact 50% of accounts on one IP (say a college campus) as soon as they're created. 

Noscript is another part of this, it's used with the tor browser bundle and the same idea is recommended for staying anonymous in general 

During the recent 'security checkup' wave Google did, I got locked out of two of my accounts for weeks, and had to abandon using a dedicated mail client. I've now got Chrome installed, and use it solely for checking my gmail accounts.

17 hours ago, MyName13 said:

'Nahh, there's no way that could happen....'

-Anonymous

Besides, this makes me wonder if all of these scripts are using our computing power for some gigantic distributed computing network.Maybe there are no Google data centers, all of their processing power comes from internet users ?

This sounds way too ambitious but *tinfoil hat on* It could be real ??

18 hours ago, Alexzz_ said:

When you log into google you are pretty much already giving up your privacy, if you really are that concerned about javascript you should also be using a vpn and only give google a minimum amount of data about yourself.

^

Just give what information you don't care if it leaks. I mean this basically applies to any online service/account.

Magical Pineapples

4 hours ago, Aetheria said:

During the recent 'security checkup' wave Google did, I got locked out of two of my accounts for weeks, and had to abandon using a dedicated mail client. I've now got Chrome installed, and use it solely for checking my gmail accounts.

How did that happen? 2FA?  I have never had problem til today, im using nine mail app with gmail IMAP with app password and never had issue for my third party mail client.

Magical Pineapples

As in Java itself, or just plain Java script? Either way it really just adds more security holes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Who even uses Java anyway? Of course it's JavaScript. It's what drives basically 99,99% of webpages. I can't believe I'm like the only one defending Google here on this one and I'm probably criticizing them the most otherwise...

19 hours ago, RollTime said:

However, the catch here is that you need to enable JavaScript as you sign in in order for it to work, and there's no option to turn that off.

Meaning that if you use NoScript to protect your privacy online, you now have to turn it off every time you sign in. And I'm willing to bet they'll be adding some kind of periodic checker that will also require JS.

You don't have to turn off Noscript, you can just whitelist google.

3 hours ago, EMC said:

How did that happen? 2FA?  I have never had problem til today, im using nine mail app with gmail IMAP with app password and never had issue for my third party mail client.

Not really sure. Had all my accounts setup in Thunderbird. Every few days, I'd get the security checkup email on another account, so I had to open a browser and log in to each account, as none of this shit is supported in IMAP. By about the third time I had to do this, it wouldn't let me log in. The password was correct, but it kept throwing captchas at me and refusing to let me in. Eventually, it wouldn't even let me attempt to login, and I kept receiving suspicious activity emails in tbird every time I attempted it. Eventually, even tbird had its token revoked and got kicked out of the account. Then the same shit began to happen on a second account. After trying to do recovery a few times, I first stepped away and didn't touch anything for a few days, then didn't touch anything for a couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks, the second account had stopped freaking out and the first just presented me with the opportunity to enter a new password, and immediately let me in.

Now I've made sure my accounts are all logged in to both Chrome on Windows, and on my android phone. The stupid thing is dedicated IMAP clients don't show up on the account activity. It either doesn't show up at all, or just shows up as 'Unknown'. And definitely not using 2FA, phone dies and I get locked out of everything, a cure worse than the disease.

Who is disabling JavaScript in 2018?  Good luck even getting 99% of pages to load or function in the slightest.  You may as well just not use the internet.  Plus, I think anyone extreme enough that they were doing this is probably not using google services anyway so this should only help and won't really be a problem for anyone.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Who is disabling JavaScript in 2018?  Good luck even getting 99% of pages to load or function in the slightest.  You may as well just not use the internet.  Plus, I think anyone extreme enough that they were doing this is probably not using google services anyway so this should only help and won't really be a problem for anyone.

Read some of the other posts on this thread, people do have a couple good scenarios.

it's time

3 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Read some of the other posts on this thread, people do have a couple good scenarios.

Honestly I see a few people who seem to share my view and no counter points

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Honestly I see a few people who seem to share my view and no counter points

After reading everything again, I think I may have misinterpreted some people. In any case, I still maintain that, though this won't change much, it's representative of Google's overall attitude towards privacy and anonymity, and that attitude is not a good one.

it's time

20 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well rip because I use Bing and Safari on my Mac and on Chrome on my PC. I wish Apple would bring Safari back to Windows again, if they claim to be all about privacy extend the browsers with some of the best user privacy protection protocols to Windows

As long as you use that you can forget about any form of privacy... :dry:

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's a good idea to use an extension like Noscript to make your browsing safer. Of course you whitelist trustworthy sites, otherwise most of the web wouldn't work.

Just now, Sakkura said:

It's a good idea to use an extension like Noscript to make your browsing safer. Of course you whitelist trustworthy sites, otherwise most of the web wouldn't work.

I suppose, but then you'd be whitelisting the login page and so, as I said, this doesn't really impact or inconvenience anyone.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suppose, but then you'd be whitelisting the login page and so, as I said, this doesn't really impact or inconvenience anyone.

I don't disagree.

Just now, Sakkura said:

I don't disagree.

As an aside, personally I would just not visit untrustworthy pages in the first place.  It's worked for me so far.