Linus Corsair Ad

JoostinOnline

Somehow Linus doing a commercial for another channel (and essentially endorsing an entire brand, rather than individual products) is tough to watch.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

The RGB and mice ones he did for Corsair were pretty good.

Hi, there is this company called "linus media group" which makes video ads for other companies.

Maybe you should check it out.

http://www.linusmediagroup.com/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

He contradicts his own video at 2:20, which states cable management doesn't matter to airflow.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

35 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Hi, there is this company called "linus media group" which makes video ads for other companies.

Maybe you should check it out.

http://www.linusmediagroup.com/

He's not doing it for LMG, he's doing it for Corsair. That's my point. It's not his script. Endorsing single products is also very different than endorsing an entire company lineup.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Some will say it's a "sellout" because it's not by LMG nor a script he or his team wrote.

I say it's good. He makes money, the video is informative for those getting into PC building, and it may draw some people to his channel. The good old "heyyyy! I recognize this dude!"

Just now, DVA said:

Some will say it's a "sellout" because it's not by LMG nor a script he or his team wrote.

I say it's good. He makes money, the video is informative for those getting into PC building, and it may draw some people to his channel. The good old "heyyyy! I recognize this dude!"

But by endorsing an entire product line he's encouraging people to buy based on brand. That's not good. He also says stuff he's proved isn't true, like cables hurting airflow.

I don't think he should do ads when he also does reviews. It really muddies the waters. I do have a lot of respect for Linus and I'm not accusing him of anything, but this does make it harder to trust him.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

But by endorsing an entire product line he's encouraging people to buy based on brand. That's not good. He also says stuff he's proved isn't true, like cables hurting airflow.

I don't think he should do ads when he also does reviews. It really muddies the waters. I do have a lot of respect for Linus and I'm not accusing him of anything, but this does make it harder to trust him.

I totally get where you're coming from, but the mans gotta make some money =/

Not only does he get paid for the sponsorship, but they'll provide more sponsorships for him in the future. Coolers, cases, psu's, etc...

but yeah I get what you mean on the trustworthy, reliability aspect. =/

The real world sucks sometimes, and sometimes money just talks. 

Perhaps @CPotter or @nicklmg could explain who is in control of what is said in videos like this.

While I have no issue with it either way since they don't even do PSU reviews, it would be cool to know.

Just now, King Poet said:

Perhaps @CPotter or @nicklmg could explain who is in control of what is said in videos like this.

While I have no issue with it either way since they don't even do PSU reviews, it would be cool to know.

We're talking about CORSAIR products for CORSAIR on the CORSAIR channel. They reached out to us to get familiar faces to host some videos on their channel, so that's what we did.

5 minutes ago, CPotter said:

We're talking about CORSAIR products for CORSAIR on the CORSAIR channel. They reached out to us to get familiar faces to host some videos on their channel do a paid endorsement of their power supplies, so that's what we did.

Come on man, at least be honest about it. Trying do downplay what it is makes you seem sketchy. It's okay to be an advertiser, but masking it isn't cool.

10 minutes ago, King Poet said:

That's a fair point, and I do feel better about it now. I had forgotten they don't review power supplies anymore.

Woah did he just say "Higher wattage power supplies give you more headroom for expansion later"  

But doesn't Linus know no one needs a psu over 500w

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Can't really fault LTT on this one, Dmitry from Hardware Canucks also provided a video for them. Not that it's bad or anything, just wanted to point that out.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Come on man, at least be honest about it. Trying do downplay what it is makes you seem sketchy. It's okay to be an advertiser, but masking it isn't cool.

Wait a sec. What exactly are they masking? That video is a clear advertisement. It's not like Corsair and LMG are BFFs, they're companies.

It isn't on LTTs channel.

21 minutes ago, CPotter said:

We're talking about CORSAIR products for CORSAIR on the CORSAIR channel. They reached out to us to get familiar faces to host some videos on their channel, so that's what we did.

I was merely asking for the benefit of this thread so that I wasn't speaking for LMG, but thank you for responding.

1 minute ago, King Poet said:

Wait a sec. What exactly are they masking? That video is a clear advertisement. It's not like Corsair and LMG are BFFs, they're companies. 

It isn't on LTTs channel.

Pretending it was just about getting familiar faces or their regular videos is misleading. They could have done a factory tour or something if that's what it was about.

There's a huge difference between advertising a single product and an entire line of products. I don't have anything against Corsair, but I try to fight against brand loyalty.

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

He's not doing it for LMG, he's doing it for Corsair. That's my point. It's not his script. Endorsing single products is also very different than endorsing an entire company lineup.

I don't think you understand.

LMG is the company that makes commercials for other companies.

They literally get paid to make ads for people, regardless of whether they are the ones writing the script or not.

They've done it before for many other companies.

For example:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

I don't think you understand.

LMG is the company that makes commercials for other companies.

They literally get paid to make ads for people, regardless of whether they are the ones writing the script or not.

They've done it before for many other companies.

For example:

That was five years ago. They aren't an advertising company.

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That was five years ago. They aren't an advertising company.

LMG still makes videos and commercials for companies.

These videos are not uploaded to any of the LTT, CFS, TQ, or Techlinked channels.

I posted some of their unlisted videos from a long time ago, there are many more.

There are also videos which aren't made public, which they do for private customers.

You can actually contact LMG and get a video made just for yourself if you want, I think it costs quite a bit though because of the time required, probably in the thousands or tens of thousands.

Spoiler

Endorsing a Companies products that's a decent company?  Could be worse lol.  The only thing in my Corsair Lineup that sucks is the Corsair Link they just left to shoot the crap after Windows updates earlier this year.  I am pretty pissed about that - I really liked my Link.  Refuse to download the new stuff cause Im semi pissed at Corsair lol. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

12 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

endorsing an entire brand, rather than individual products is tough to watch

don't watch it then lmao

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

16 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Endorsing a Companies products that's a decent company?  Could be worse lol.  The only thing in my Corsair Lineup that sucks is the Corsair Link they just left to shoot the crap after Windows updates earlier this year.  I am pretty pissed about that - I really liked my Link.  Refuse to download the new stuff cause Im semi pissed at Corsair lol. 

It could be worse, and the fact that they no longer do PSU reviews changes a lot, but I guess my opinion of Linus was too high before.

12 hours ago, aezakmi said:

don't watch it then lmao

Willful ignorance isn't the solution.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It could be worse, and the fact that they no longer do PSU reviews changes a lot, but I guess my opinion of Linus was too high before.

Willful ignorance isn't the solution.

Its simple for me - this is all about $$$.  If LTT didn't make $$$ he would be doing something else.  It was never about anything but $$$ lol.  So Corsair clearly laid out a contract with enough numbers on it that he was willing to sell this type of ad regardless of trying to pretend to be non biased.  He is about as non biased as his bank account will let him be.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case