are we allowed to speak languages other than english?

Ashleyyyy
Go to solution Solved by airdeano,
10 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

ok so if the OP of a topic is dutch (usually shown either by location, username or both) cani talk to the OP in dutch? or is that not allowed?

(of course dutch can be changed for any language)

we'd prefer that all commenting be in the english language.

as others participating in the thread may also understand. translation is widely used.

ok so if the OP of a topic is dutch (usually shown either by location, username or both) cani talk to the OP in dutch? or is that not allowed?

She/Her

This also exists but it's fairly old.

I think the native language would help if OP has a hard time understanding English, but strickly speaking in OP's language might deter someone that doesn't know the language from chiming in.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s
Worded better

Whenever I am in a situation like this I still keep talking English (or have Dutch and English included).

As per this sentence from the community standards:

"Remember your audience; both present and future."

The way I interpret this, is that my audience is the OP, which would be okay with the language switch , but the future audience (people that stumble across the topic since this site has good SEO) would not appreciate it, as well as the others that are watching the topic don't appreciate it. At least I know I don't like it when people switch language in a topic I'm following.

But if you want to talk Dutch on this forum, be sure to bump the Dutch Talk thread... It sure does need a resurgence. We once wanted to beat the 'German Talk', but didn't quite make it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Várias vezes escrevi em português quando vi que o OP é brasileiro ou português. (GOD it feels refreshing to type in portuguese here!)

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

40 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so if the OP of a topic is dutch (usually shown either by location, username or both) cani talk to the OP in dutch? or is that not allowed?

If the OP is Dutch it's probably a good idea, as long as you include a translation to English for the others. 

However if the OP is Flemish there's no need to write in Dutch as he/she's most likely intelligent enough to speak English.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Greetz from South of the border.

Joking aside, either be sure to include a translation for the others or send the OP a PM if you need to explain something in Dutch.

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

If the OP is Dutch it's probably a good idea, as long as you include a translation to English for the others. 

However if the OP is Flemish there's no need to write in Dutch as he/she's most likely intelligent enough to speak English.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Greetz from South of the border.

believe me, dutch people are speaking english just fine. also the ones who live like 5 mins from belgium

I'm fine with the use of any language. We can always enter a phrase into a translator and get meaning within margin of error (so long as we're not expecting entendre or "play on words" that AI wouldn't pick up. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I'd rather people post in Dutch than see another person write "ect" instead of etc.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

Here are my thoughts:

If you want to create (or join an existing) Dutch Discussion thread, that's cool. No one would stop you or even question the legitimacy of that.

However, in a general thread, I would suggest trying to keep things to English - not because English is "superior" or any bullshit like that, but simply due to practicalities. The vast majority of users are native English speakers, or converse very fluently in English.

By creating a topic not about being Dutch, but speaking Dutch in it, will alienate those users who may otherwise want to partake in the discussion, or may be able to solve a problem you're having, etc.

Unfortunately there's no universal language that we know everyone speaks, so a forum like this has to basically pick a language to use as the common standard, and English makes the most amount of sense currently.

Note: I'm a filthy English speaker, so I'm incredibly biased ;)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I'd rather people post in Dutch than see another person write "ect" instead of etc.

Plenty of native English speakers butcher the language already by saying stuff like "ect" (mostly because I imagine most people don't know what "etc" stands for, and simply know how it "sounds" when spoken out loud).

So I'm not sure that would solve anything xD

Do you remember the one kid Who Always Capitalized Every Single Word He Wrote Even Though This Is Significantly More Work To Type Instead Of Learning Proper Typing Techniques Or How Grammar Is Supposed To Be Structured? Wow This Is A Lot Of Work And I Hate Life Thoroughly Right Now!

Okay enough of that xD

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

believe me, dutch people are speaking english just fine. also the ones who live like 5 mins from belgium

That is a pretty generalized statement.

You can't just assume that every single Dutch person speaks English, or at least to a fluent standard - that's just ignorant.

If you don't understand something, I am more than happy to speak Dutch, I'll just add a translation for English people too, this way people can add to the topic, saves them the trouble of having to translate it themselves (which comes out wrong anyway) and it is just a general courtesy.

Before I get the backlash saying: "But LTT is an English speaking channel, they have to understand English to understand the videos", let me reply by saying: "Subtitles".

As a native Dutch speaker, I agree that there are plenty of English speaking Dutch people, but you can't just generalize the entirety of a population.

Stick with English on threads other than the Dutch Talk thread.

Just now, Netivity said:

That is a pretty generalized statement.

You can't just assume that every single Dutch person speaks English, or at least to a fluent standard - that's just ignorant.

If you don't understand something, I am more than happy to speak Dutch, I'll just add a translation for English people too, this way people can add to the topic, saves them the trouble of having to translate it themselves (which comes out wrong anyway) and it is just a general courtesy.

Before I get the backlash saying: "But LTT is an English speaking channel, they have to understand English to understand the videos", let me reply by saying: "Subtitles".

As a native Dutch speaker, I agree that there are plenty of English speaking Dutch people, but you can't just generalize the entirety of a population.

Stick with English on threads other than the Dutch Talk thread.

to start I almost fully agree. but as a genaral standard, espesially in tech a lot of dutch people speak and can write english. I wasn't assuming everyone could do it. and I won't give you any backlash, I actually was the one who was the reason this tread started becouse we both wanted to know if it's normal or not. So let's keep it on when it's needed, we will use it. if not, we'll keep it on English

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

to start I almost fully agree. but as a genaral standard, espesially in tech a lot of dutch people speak and can write english. I wasn't assuming everyone could do it. and I won't give you any backlash, I actually was the one who was the reason this tread started becouse we both wanted to know if it's normal or not. So let's keep it on when it's needed, we will use it. if not, we'll keep it on English

Not a problem mate,

I agree that within the tech community, a lot of Dutch people do speak, write and read in English and are fairly competent in doing so, I just find it more of a courtesy to stick with the native language of the forum. That is just my opinion, however.

Thanks for your reply, absolute legend. 

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Plenty of native English speakers butcher the language

It is because of parents, schooling and technology. All to blame.

Sure, but the poster on the forum (me) won't understand you.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

10 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

we'd prefer that all commenting be in the english language.

as others participating in the thread may also understand. translation is widely used.

8 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Oui

omelette du fromage oh la la

?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB