Intel 9th Gen CPU Tests: Flaws in Testing Metheds

Imbellis

Edit: Oof, I'm unsure if this thread should fall under duplicate; However, "Intel 9th Gen Paid Benchmarks" focuses more on the results while this focuses on the flawed testing methodologies.

Gamer's Nexus, as well as many others, have recently posted a video harshly critiquing the testing methodology due to variance and poorly thought out procedures in their testing methodology from Principled Technologies:

"Given the level of general incompetence here, you have to start questioning (all of the benchmark results posted)."

In addition, others such as those from Forbes, PCGamesN, HawdwareUnboxed, TechSpot, and many others commented on their thoughts regarding the flaws:

"We don’t know what Z390 board Intel was using, or whether it was capable of hitting a 5GHz all-core speed out-of-the-box, so the actual clock speed of the chip is a bit of a mystery. "

"Principled Technologies either used in-game benchmarking tools or FRAPs to record the average FPS of games that don’t include them. " - PCGamesN (Although FRAPS can measure frames differently from games)

"The benchmarks carried out by Principled Technologies are even more bogus than we first thought. A few viewers pointed out that the Ryzen 7 2700X was listed as tested in the “Game Mode” within the Ryzen Master software and I foolishly thought they might have just made a simple copy and paste error in their document as they would have used this mode for the 2950X. This does explain why the Threadripper CPUs were faster than the 2700X in every test.

What this means is a CCX module in the 2700X was completely disabled, essentially turning it into a quad-core. I’ve gone ahead and re-run the XMP 2933 test with Game Mode enabled and now I’m getting results that are within the margin of error to those published by Principled Technologies." - HardwareUnboxed

"Ryzen doesn’t perform that well with fully populated memory DIMMs, two modules is optimal. However timings are also important and they used Corsair Vengeance memory without loading the extreme memory profile or XMP setting, instead, they just set the memory frequency to 2933 and left the ridiculously loose default memory timings in place. These loose timings ensure compatibility so systems will boot up, but after that point you need to enable the memory profile. It’s misleading to conduct benchmarks without executing this crucial step. " - TechSpot

Some of the factors that varied were:

• CPU coolers (Noctua U14S vs AMD's stock wraith cooler.
  • Varying motherboards brands
  • RAM speeds and RAM timings
  • Using median results instead of getting an average
  • Using FRAPS instead of the in-game frame counter
  • Using GPU tests instead of CPU
  • Use of flawed benchmarks (FFXV)

Edit: In addition:

• Possible variation fan speeds
  • Omitting or forgetting to include testing constraints and other general info
  • Possible variation of benchmark settings for GTA5

Overall, I think it is safe to say that intel's branding of this data, without any of their own confirmation, is extremely gullible or they are attempting to manipulate consumers (to a further degree than before) to buy their CPUs.

Oh, and there's the fact that Principled Technologies also disclaims any warranty regarding their tests so they're not held liable for these awful tests. Honestly, I think I'll be upgrading to a AMD CPU now instead of Intel.

Also, you should just ignore this thing below... the thing they included at the end of their test documentation.

Untitled.png.4ac2585d19e40c038e07d4d631f6bb44.png

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

This is an absolute travesty - if this isn't one of the main topics on the WAN show I'd be very surprised.

It's akin to shooting your competition before a race IMHO.

Running a 2700x as a quad-core in benchmarks...come on Intel FFS.

I seriously question their (Intel) intelligence. The marketing department should know these will be picked apart under a microscope. 

All this does at best is make them look incompetent , and at worst outright lying. 

I hope someone gets fired over this.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

2 hours ago, Terryv said:

I seriously question their (Intel)ligence. The marketing department should know these will be picked apart under a microscope. 

All this does at best is make them look incompetent , and at worst outright lying. 

I hope someone gets fired over this.

fixed :)

GamersNexus interview with PT is up:

https://youtu.be/qzshhrIj2EY

@Imbellis

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.4 GHz
Mobo | Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming

GPU | Sapphire NITRO+ RX-580

RAM | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Case | Fractal Design Define R6

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

Keys | Corsair K70 RGB Mk2, MX-Red

Mouse | Logitech M215v2 Wireless

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

RAM | 4GB Kingston ValuRAM

SSD | 120GB Adata

HDD | 2x Toshiba 3TB, 3x Hitachi 2TB

PSU | EVGA 600B

Case | Cooler Master N300

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

MODEL | Asus X550IU "Signature Edition" (whatever that means)

APU | AMD FX-9830P with Radeon R7 Graphics
GPU | Radeon RX-460

SSD | Mushkin Triactor 500GB

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

@VegetableStu LOL how do you embed?
I just gave up.

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

SSD | 120GB Adata

PSU | EVGA 600B

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

GPU | Radeon RX-460

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

Just now, VegetableStu said:

oh this forum does it automatically when you paste the URL (if it's one of the few embeddable media extensions it supports) o_o

Huh. It didn't work when I did it. That's weird. nvm

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

SSD | 120GB Adata

PSU | EVGA 600B

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

GPU | Radeon RX-460

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

Just now, VegetableStu said:

are you on mobile? on my side I have to do a few extra steps for the forum to recognise it as a link first ,_,

Nope. On my desktop. I edited my post like 3 times and it didn't do any of those times.

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

SSD | 120GB Adata

PSU | EVGA 600B

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

GPU | Radeon RX-460

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

It worked when hit return a couple of times.

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

SSD | 120GB Adata

PSU | EVGA 600B

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

GPU | Radeon RX-460

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

Don't mind me, I'm just hosing down the thread. Steve is roasting these guys left, right and center. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I'm watching this unfold and laughing at the amount of overreaction going on.  9900k is going to be the fastest chip on the block by a wide margin.  You can be as autistic you want complaining about cooler or ram or whatever the fuck, it isn't going to change that outcome.

Go read the 50 other reviews going online for more information.  You're an idiot if you're relying on basically marketing material.

Yeesh..this shit is like twitter drama for nerds.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm watching this unfold and laughing at the amount of overreaction going on.  9900k is going to be the fastest chip on the block by a wide margin.  You can be as autistic you want complaining about cooler or ram or whatever the fuck, it isn't going to change that outcome.

Except......no one is complaining that the 9900K is faster. 

It's the methodology, the gimping of the 2700X and especially releasing benchmarks before the NDA lifts that people have issue with. 

This is why you wait for independent reviews made by people whom are trusted by the greater community. It gives you a far better picture of how a system does in a significantly fairer manner 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 hours ago, Imbellis said:

Varying motherboards brands

Seriously?

You have variances between models from same manufacturer and he is worried about variances between manufacturers? It is not even the same manufacturer of CPU

28 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Go read the 50 other reviews going online for more information.  You're an idiot if you're relying on basically marketing material.

You seem to forget something.

People know the 9900k is going to be the fastest chip for gaming and productivity. We know, because the 8700k/8086k excist.

People take issue with the testing that was done. Like the 9000 series launch was pretty much perfect, except the moment this came along.

30 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm watching this unfold and laughing at the amount of overreaction going on.  9900k is going to be the fastest chip on the block by a wide margin. 

Nobody is arguing it won't be, literally nobody here is. I don't know why you thought that's what people were pissed off about but it's clearly not that at all.

People are pissed off because people who don't spend hours a week researching and watching tech channels and forums will likely buy into the marketing by Intel and be very disappointed when they get their chips. It's bsaically false advertising and is shamed on by this community for very obvious reasons, and if you're okay with skewed and paid results, then maybe you aren't PCMR

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

1 hour ago, KendoSapion said:

then maybe you aren't PCMR

I will never identify as part of that, no thanks. ?

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

You seem to forget something.

People know the 9900k is going to be the fastest chip for gaming and productivity. We know, because the 8700k/8086k excist.

People take issue with the testing that was done. Like the 9000 series launch was pretty much perfect, except the moment this came along.

Pretty much this. 

The performance metric of the 2700X and 8700K are all very well known at this point. That's why a lot of people, especially those who have used it noticed that the 2700X scored way lower than what it technically should be. 

A lot of us know the 9900K will be beefy in games. The 8700K was highly regarded as a good all rounder gaming CPU, so the 9900K would have to be better. But that's not the problem. It's not even close to that.

The problem is how the tests are made to skew the bar heavily towards Intel rather than ensuring that both systems are at their most optimal for the best possible scenarios in each. 

You can't say that it's fine for anyone to benchmark one system that's made optimal but gimp the other with non-optimal RAM timings, an objectively worse cooling solution and especially enabling a mode that disables a CCX, turning it into a 4C/8T CPU.

The thing is that Intel didn't have to do all of this. Why they felt it was needed to deceive even though their CPU would still perform really well in games is beyond me. I would think they've been paranoid of AMD ever since their storming success with Ryzen, but that's my guess 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

So you really think people wouldn't care about a claim of "30 to 50% faster" vs one that is "5 to 10% faster"? (Neither of this claims is likely to be accurate in most scenarios btw)

They're both faster, in both cases the 2700x wouldn't be able to touch it sure. 

But if you take either one of these claims in a vacuum the buyers would go from "Woah my games are going to be so much better" to "Well it's nice but might as well invest the extra money on a better GPU and get significantly more performance for my money"

This is all about perception and controlling the message and yes, it sucks but people in general are well, fucking idiots and perception counts...a lot.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

burn_house._beat_mother..jpg

(I don't subscribe to the extreme end of PCMR too ._.)

It's actually burn his entire family in the Chinese sub.

Conclusion as some other recent intel shit thread, dont buy intel, vote with your wallet, buy AMD this round, support them getting good Zen2/Zen3 down the road or until intel stops fucking with us taking us for idiots, probably never.

If you buy nvidia RTX and intel 9000 series oh boi, dont be surprised when they pull more of this shit. Keep in mind bois and girls, transistor shrinking technology is at its end of the journey, maybe we get 10/7/5nm, but after its all arhitecture/software improvement, and we need less of marketing shitty moves and more proper competition in the next decade, i think this is one of the most important times in desktop CPU/GPU market, if AMD cant get up and become a giant to hold its own against intel/nvidia, once the node shrinking trick is over if AMD cant compete and innovate new technologies, graphite, nanotubes,optics, hbm i dont know what,  intel/nvidia will fuck us hard with 5% improvement each 2 years at 1000$+ pricepoint.

5 minutes ago, yian88 said:

If you buy nvidia RTX and intel 9000 series oh boi, dont be surprised when they pull more of this shit.

and yet RTX sold out... ?