Your Favourite Apple repair guy featured on The National

Yep. Louis Rossmann was featured on the CBC National for a report on Apple's repair practices. It's nice to see Apple's and the other tech giant's repair practices gaining media attention; much the same way the CBC did with home appliance manufacturers on Marketplace. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Isn't this the video Louis was talking about few days ago  during his live stream? So media did have balls to air it

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

11 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Isn't this the video Louis was talking about few days ago  during his live stream? So media did have balls to air it

I don't follow Rossmann that much so I wouldn't know the answer to that. I don't see why the CBC wouldn't air it. The only thing I can see them hesitant to air is something political that does not align in the way the public wants to think.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Apple as a lot of lawyers, I'm actually surprised Legal let this through at their desk.

Schematics in the background, hidden cameras on private property. It's a can of worms.

Your thread was moved to the General section because it doesn't follow the Tech News section posting guidelines ;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

If you want your thread moved back into the News section, make sure to edit it to follow the guidelines.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, Evanair said:

Apple as a lot of lawyers, I'm actually surprised Legal let this through at their desk.

Schematics in the background, hidden cameras on private property. It's a can of worms.

Bit long video, but here's where Louis talks about interview and why CBC didn't want to air the video:

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

That was a really interesting watch. 

Especially the part about the battery on iPhones. I've said it before, I understand the reasoning BUT why not put a persistent notification on the lockscreen and Notification Center that says 

The battery in iPhone requires servicing. Some functionality may be limited. 

or something identical. At least the fallout wouldn't be so bad. They royally screwed up. 

That first part also reminds me of the HTC One M7, the one phone where you legitimately cannot take apart without damaging it. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Apple can't really touch the media for reporting on this... it's not like CBC don't have the funds to defend themselves in court if necessary.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Apple can't really touch the media for reporting on this... it's not like CBC don't have the funds to defend themselves in court if necessary.

I believe Louis had been worried about being sued for libel, so he needed people willing to back up some stuff with their personal experiences with repair of apple devices.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just saw the video and I have to admit that it was some grade A BS from Apple. 

Like Louis said the water damage indicators can turn red just from humidity and this guy clearly didn't take a look at the machine to determine that the cause might have been something else. 

Charging more than the machine is worth for a repair like this is just crazy. I hope my state can pass some right to repair legislation once our new governor wins his election because the costs that these repairs are hitting is getting crazy. 

One good thing is that not all Apple "Geniuses" are not all like this and when the customer asks if there is a cheaper option they will often say yes, and recommend that the person seek out a 3rd party to do the repair. Louis asks that this become company policy when Apple themselves are not comfortable with doing a repair or when the cost of the repair is too high compared the value of the machine and that sounds totally reasonable to me. 

But that would just be a stop gap and Apple should stop using Customs as their secret police and allow shops to import the parts that they need if they are not going to start selling replacement parts. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 hours ago, Evanair said:

Journalism isn't a crime. Recording video in an Apple store isnt a crime. Apple would have no ground to stand on I think. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

These "Geniuses" don't know the first thing about computers.

When they have to replace a broken device under warranty, that helps because .. you can make up just about anything if you are tech savvy and they'll bite and replace it.

Out of warranty however, Apple is the last company on earth I'd like to deal closely behind are MSI/HP but finding parts for those is easier.

Never had products of theirs fail as bad as I hear others claim, but I only casually use their MacBook Air's & used to rock iPod's like every teen a few years back.

Besides my iPod 4G's home button failing right out of warranty, which they offered to fix free of charge after some mild arguing with my mother back then haha

Apple is a nightmare to repair yourself, it seems that outside of Belgium it is also hard to get their sh*t fixed in-warranty; not the case in Belgium from my experience.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Journalism isn't a crime. Recording video in an Apple store isnt a crime. Apple would have no ground to stand on I think. 

Recording someone in private property without their permission is a crime. It's only legal if there are 3+ people in the shot and they are background only, and not the subject.  For example, in the state of California, you need permission from both the recording party and the party being recorded to legally record them, especially when Audio is involved.

In public even, the person has to be a person of interest to actually record them directly. A random apple employee wouldn't be considered in this, the manager could be, but even then it would probably still not pass the bar.

Journalism isn't grabbing a camera and recording whomever you'd like. There are privacy laws protecting individual people and even the US first amendment doesn't go as far as people believe it does.

1 minute ago, Evanair said:

Recording someone in private property without their permission is a crime. It's only legal if there are 3+ people in the shot and they are background only, and not the subject.  For example, in the state of California, you need permission from both the recording party and the party being recorded to legally record them, especially when Audio is involved.

Then Apple can knock themselves out trying to sue. 

What CBC did was a public service. 

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Just saw the video and I have to admit that it was some grade A BS from Apple. 

See, you're an Apple fan but you're not blind either. I like a lot of their products but I strongly dislike some of their decisions and practices. So many of their fans defend everything they do...

4 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Apple is a nightmare to repair yourself

And it seems like they only continue to make it harder to DIY repair...not fun.

14 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Your thread was moved to the General section because it doesn't follow the Tech News section posting guidelines ;

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

If you want your thread moved back into the News section, make sure to edit it to follow the guidelines.

I did? I thought I made sure I posted in General Section because I had not much to add. Brain fart.

16 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

That was actually a well informed and researched video, nice recommendation @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito

And people here keep calling for the Government to "defund the CBC". 

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I did? I thought I made sure I posted in General Section because I had not much to add. Brain fart.

I actually thought I saw it in General Discussion too? Weird...

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

And people here keep calling for the Government to "defund the CBC". 

That was better than a lot of the journalism here to be honest, enough said. ?

10 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

it was in the Tech News section, but no problem, shit happens ;)

10 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I actually thought I saw it in General Discussion too? Weird...

It was moved out INTO the General section but was first posted in the News section, it's not really an issue if it was meant to be posted somewhere else, these things happen all the time (we move an average of 15-20 threads per day easily!), it's only a problem if someone starts to do "thread dumping" (purposefully posting in a more popular section instead of the correct section, this is rare).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

19 hours ago, Evanair said:

In public even, the person has to be a person of interest to actually record them directly. A random apple employee wouldn't be considered in this, the manager could be, but even then it would probably still not pass the bar.

Under freedom of the press

Recording in public

The general rule is that people in public places must assume they might be photographed or recorded, particularly if they are officials carrying out their public duties. Therefore, you may photograph, film and record what you can easily see or hear in public places, even if the recorded people have not specifically consented to such, provided you do not harass, trespass or otherwise intrude. This includes shooting footage of a private property from a public sidewalk, as long as you do not engage in overzealous surveillance, such as the offensive use, for example, of a telephoto lens to record intimate activities inside the bedroom or bathroom of a private residence.

I retail store while "privately owned" is generally regarded as a public place

"‘Public Place' means an enclosed area to which the public is invited or in which the public is permitted including, but not limited to, banks, and other financial institutions, publicly funded or owned buildings, school and college buildings, public conveyances, recreational facilities, lounges, taverns and bars, educational facilities, health care facilities, laundromats, public transportation facilities, reception areas, restaurants, retail or wholesale food production and marketing establishments including grocery stores, supermarket and stores where food items are sold for on-premises or off-premises consumption, retail service establishments, retail or wholesale stores, shopping malls, sports arenas, theaters, and waiting rooms. A private residence is not a "public place" unless it is used as a licensed child care, licensed adult day care, health care or pre-school facility."

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 10/9/2018 at 3:48 AM, Evanair said:

Must be legal in Canada they do it everytime. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

Under freedom of the press

Recording in public

The general rule is that people in public places must assume they might be photographed or recorded, particularly if they are officials carrying out their public duties. Therefore, you may photograph, film and record what you can easily see or hear in public places, even if the recorded people have not specifically consented to such, provided you do not harass, trespass or otherwise intrude. This includes shooting footage of a private property from a public sidewalk, as long as you do not engage in overzealous surveillance, such as the offensive use, for example, of a telephoto lens to record intimate activities inside the bedroom or bathroom of a private residence.

I retail store while "privately owned" is generally regarded as a public place

I know this is in Canada, but the topic is relevant.

• California
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • Pennsylvania
  • Washington
  • Illinois

In these states, recording in public requires consent of all parties involved., known as two-party consent.  It falls under wiretapping law.  This applies specifically to the hidden camera scene in the film.  While I do not know Canadan Law, as I do not film there, I do film in California.  This type of reporting would be illegal.

21 minutes ago, Evanair said:

In these states, recording in public requires consent of all parties involved., known as two-party consent.  It falls under wiretapping law.  This applies specifically to the hidden camera scene in the film.  While I do not know Canadian Law, as I do not film there, I do film in California.  This type of reporting would be illegal.

so how does this fit in to stores than have CCTV w/ Audio? Or are customers "giving their consent to be recorded" by simply walking into the store?

or i guess they are effectively forced to turn off the audio recording capability?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒