What is Your Favorite Tech Controversy

GiantEvilPig

AMD FX cpus, they sucked and nobody ever accepted that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I just hope these wars will end sooner rather than later :) Although, I might be hoping for the impossible... 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There may be others, but one I'm thinking of right now is open-source vs proprietary.  (My preference is open-source.)

Also I wish CPU sockets (and RAM form factors) didn't change so often.  I'd prefer that after making one more socket change to make all vendors / tiers compatible, it not change again until all of the following are met:

• New NOT-bidirectionally-compatible physical connectors replace
  1. PCI Express
  2. SATA
  3. USB A & C
  • We hit the 64-bit address limit with only 1 chip/media on
  1. RAM (unbuffered) (16 Exbibytes, IIRC)
  2. Storage (GPT) (8 Zebibytes)

Also ... Well, basically I would like to see open, consistent, inter-operable standards throughout the industry.

Epic Games having to remove the jiggle physics technology from breasts in Fortnite due to public outcry.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

7 minutes ago, Husky said:

Epic Games having to remove the jiggle physics technology from breasts in Fortnite due to public outcry.

Seriously..?

1 hour ago, GiantEvilPig said:

Mine is "consoles are superior to PC's." Whats your favorite controversy?

Any products designed without regard to real-world usability. Examples are smartphones & smartwatches marketed to consumers & businesses as companion devices for communication & collaboration, as long as we don't mind charging them twice a day if used as advertised, or at least nightly, and as long as we don't need to do anything with them that hasn't been artificially limited by [lack of] software functionality or hardware implementation.

Companies that remove hardware or software features without providing an alternative choice for the consumer are the bane of my existence in the tech world. I really don't understand why consumers (including my friends) buy an iPhone or Android device, then complain about not being able to use Facetime with Android users or complain about a poor user experience because their carrier loaded crap onto their otherwise good Android phone. Very few people research products beyond the "wool-over-your-eyes" marketing prior to making a purchase, which ends up creating excessive technical support calls / emails / chats / etc., and more importantly, a brand image that is now associated with a poor user experience.

While I understand the business decisions behind locking Facetime and iMessage to Apple's platform or the potential ad revenue generated by pre-loading bloatware onto an Android device, it makes no sense in the eyes of an informed & well-researched consumer. Devices are marketed to do "things" for us, but only if these things are within the realm of imagination of the manufacturer. Consumers need to research what technology is capable of and demand that manufacturers design products in such a way that they can interconnect so they actually "just work" as advertised. Until consumers are informed and given all the functionality their devices are capable of, we will forever be needlessly replacing devices.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

I just hope these wars will end sooner rather than later :) Although, I might be hoping for the impossible... 

I do too hope these things end soon, however it is fun to watch fanboys argue!

5 hours ago, Husky said:

Was this necessary?

Mac vs PC

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

I love how Mario and Luigi's noses have jibble physics in their games... XD

That's hot XD

1 hour ago, GiantEvilPig said:

Bootcamp and or a Hackintosh!

Neither have a place in MacOS master race

The one I didn’t hear about. 

If you don't play SecondLife you probably wouldn't have seen this one anywhere else. SL is from the early 2000's and a lot of the users are super old school and never bothered picking up on modern tech.

You see a lot of people talking about stuff they don't know about or don't really understand and it's super annoying. But the biggest one is 

"ATI video cards don't work on SL" which is just blatantly wrong. Not only does ATI not exist but this entire ideology of them not working with SL comes from 2003-2005 when ATI was the dominant holder of the laptop gpu market while Nvidia was getting more popular in desktops. The issue was that people with low end ATI mobility chipsets would try and play SL and had terrible performance, but because they were tech illiterate all they would say is that it had ATI graphics. Slowly this turned into a belief that ATI as a whole wouldn't work with SL.

And now literally 15 years later this thought process is still going on because these same tech illiterate retards are still playing and still post this stupid crap on the forums there because they think it's true.

I have seen someone say unironically that an RX 580 will not allow you to play SecondLife.

Also the whole "you need a high end PC" thing is bull crap. For both SL and anything else really. SL is built off an engine from 2003 and it's so behind the times that it'll run on just about anything but it'll always run like crap. My i5 4570 and GTX 970 perform a few frames above a Q6600 and 750ti. And a few frames below a 7700k and 1080ti. The game is super single threaded and doesn't use resources well.

Yet users claim you need an i7 and the best Nvidia only gpu and like 16gb of ram.

infuriating 

without a doubt the shady business practices of Intel that brought us the last decade of "we cant do more than quad cores for consumers"

And also the fact that most people dont know about this and think Intel has earned its position on the market.

I love the GTX 970 3.5GB thing, people from both sides were so wildly mad in the wrong way.

Nvidia fanboys saying it's literally no issue and AMD fans saying it kills the entire card and Nvidia's believability.

Of the course truth it somewhere inbetween..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"Xeons can't game"

Oh boy, i can disprove that one soooo easily! 

Also Peltier cooling, i personally never bought into it, but some people seem to love it.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

my favourite one is that how the big tech giants laughing at us when they see we argue (mac vs pc, console vs pc),  and the more we argue, the more they sell their products... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.