OBS Techquickie Video - Concerns from the OBS developer team

Fenrirthviti
Greetings! I'm with the OBS Contributor team, and I'd like to pass along some concerns that we have with the latest Techquickie video about How to stream to Twitch with OBS.

The main issue with this video is the suggestion to add an audio input capture source to the scene, after already saying to select it in the Settings -> Audio section. This means that the device will be added and captured twice, and can lead to bizarre issues such as no audio at all if there is a conflict in the capture hooks, or echo, etc. It is strongly discouraged to use Audio Input Capture sources unless you know exactly why you need to use it over the global Audio settings.

We also have some concerns about the bitrate chart, as it's provided with no context. Encoder selection and settings is extremely important when deciding what bitrate to use. Despite twitch's claims otherwise, 4500 (and even 6000 in many cases) bitrate is nowhere near sufficient for 1080p 60fps streaming, and will result in a very poor quality stream if you stay on the default x264 preset of veryfast. Lowering the preset to a slower option will result in a better quality stream, but the CPU usage will increase exponentially. You can learn more about bitrate and presets both in a blog post I wrote here and a third-party report that has been put together here

We had reached out with these concerns before the video was posted publicly on YouTube, and it's disappointing that we were ignored. We hope that corrections can be made, as to avoid harming new streamers by setting unrealistic expectations, and by providing suggestions that can result in a non-functional stream at worst.

Final edit: The OBS team is always happy to discuss and work with any content creators! Feel free to reach out to me directly, and I'm happy to help however I can.

No wonder they have so many issues with the WAN show.xD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

we will just added it to the list of messed up techquickie vidoes. Its slowly growing over time. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

we will just added it to the list of messed up techquickie vidoes. Its slowly growing over time. 

13 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

Techquickie is slowly growing a reputation for being inaccurate.

I reckon a lot of that might be due to a tight deadline that might not leave time for any corrections. 

But seriously, maybe have some leeway so you can make sure you're sharing accurate information. I think making sure your info is accurate matters much more than a deadline. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I reckon a lot of that might be due to a tight deadline that might not leave time for any corrections. 

But seriously, maybe have some leeway so you can make sure you're sharing accurate information. I think making sure your info is accurate matters much more than a deadline. 

they often have a week or 2 in que, it would make sense to shuffle the order if 1 is screwed up and needs to be re written and then reshot. 

@jmart604 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

18 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Techquickie is slowly growing a reputation for being inaccurate.

It's kind of sad that it's just "slowly" gaining that reputation, because inaccurate information in techquickie videos have been something I've complained about for years. 

People have defended it by saying things like:

1) LTT has to make enough videos to pay their bills, and they don't have enough time to accurately research every topic they make videos about.

2) It's just nitpicking and "who cares if they get info wrong, it's entertainment".

Always good to get some clarification from an external source and even a developer of a product that gets reviewed. Also nice to see you here @Fenrirthviti as you just helped me out (and the municipality I work for) with a few things last week on the OBS discord channel. Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

2) It's just nitpicking and "who cares if they get info wrong, it's entertainment".

Well, I see a lot of nitpicking and TQ is not meant to be the reference, but more of an introduction/basics. Ofc if there is something objectively WRONG, than it has to be corrected. And the "its just entertainment" is stupid.

In thie example, the audio part is WRONG, but the bitrate is just suggestions and depends on many things (like OP said, presets and whatnot). The suggested bitrate is not optimal? Ok, that can be criticized, but its not a big deal. The problem is they are Messing things up more often, and if there are LOTS of minor stuff in one video, it becomes a problem. 

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

welp, i guess it's been too long of a while to actually make corrections to the video, but it would be awesome to get a shout from maybe some admins or just maybe even @LinusTech on this!