A year away from my desktop

InertiaSelling

Hi. In just a few days, I'm going to leave my country, and I'm not taking my desktop with me on the plane. What should I do to ensure it will power on when I come back next year? Should I unplug it, store it somewhere cool and dry, and call it a day? Should I leave it plugged in and ask for someone to power it on maybe once a month to preserve the SSD and CMOS battery? Is there something else I should think about? Thanks.

just unplug it, its your safest bet.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Sell it :D 

Just kidding. I suppose you can ask someone to dust it form times to times so that when you power it again the fans wont make a DARUDE SANDSTORM in your case. 

Leave it running for that juicy 1 year uptime. (Assuming the power never goes out in that year).

You'd be fine if you unplugged it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you want to be save af, unplug it, wrap it in bubble wrap and store it somewhere, where just in case a flood comes, water wont reach. Trust me guys, you never know when mother nature is going to knock on your front door with 30cm high water

23 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

Hi. In just a few days, I'm going to leave my country, and I'm not taking my desktop with me on the plane. What should I do to ensure it will power on when I come back next year? Should I unplug it, store it somewhere cool and dry, and call it a day? Should I leave it plugged in and ask for someone to power it on maybe once a month to preserve the SSD and CMOS battery? Is there something else I should think about? Thanks.

Unplug the pc and if possible keep in the case's box and keep the box such that the pc stays upright. Then humidity or dust wont trouble you.

Run F@H and help cancer research.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Run F@H and help cancer research.

100/10 agree bro. help a good cause.

link:http://client.foldingathome.org/

welcome

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

Unplug everything externally and just cover it over. Keep it up off the floor.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

35 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

the SSD doesn't care at all if its turned off..and even an HDD will be fine in 1 year, just unplug everything from the back and close the windows, and you're all set :D 

and also the battery is being used all the time, wether the PC is on or not, you shouldn't worry about it, and even if it runs out, it's super simple to replace.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

CMOS battery will drain just if you would have it booted for short periods.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As some people have said, your best bet is to unplug it and store it on the case's box, or even in a wardrobe, so you can minimize humidity and dust.

Thanks for your replies @Levent @NotKalo @TheKDub @ZeouLs @Froody129 @The_Tron @kelvinhall05 @PokiDaSpitz @syn2112 @userzero @LoGiCalDrm @MedievalMatt @Ramonje. I'll unplug it and store it somewhere safe.

Spoiler

Also, please stop arguing about floods. I live on a hill with no river nearby.