Vehicle warming up

D13H4RD
6 minutes ago, Netivity said:

If it makes you any happier, i'll even edit it out of my original comment.

Don't, I find it largely hilarious that someone could think of the 80 series or the 75 as an SUV.  Certainly by the colloquial use of the term. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I only think of crossover SUVs these days. 

The SUVs that are body-on-frame, especially those built on a pickup chassis, are a little in that hybrid category, where they look like SUVs but drive like and are as capable as a truck. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

45 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Because the connotation of SUVs has become an encompassment of Jeeps, SUVs, station wagons, and larger hatchbacks. They all do the same job, and ignoring large SUVs like the Tahoe, to nearly the same capacity.

Whereas SUV used to mean a 4x4 station wagon with higher ground clearance.

Pickups are a subset of trucks.

I understand where you come from, however I don't think you understand where I am coming from,

The connotation of SUVs was established mainly in the U.S and/or U.S territories and states. It is commonly understood in the U.S in regards to differentiation of types of vehicles in the sense of appearance and use. Whereas in Australia, the equivalent of your "implicated vehicles" if you will, are called Utes, or fourbies, and trucks are quite literally, trucks. 

Where your country so loosely bases it's "trucks" statement from can be used for a multitude of vehicles that don't have to carry 6 tonne, or is attached with multiple trailers. Whereas here in Australia they don't. A truck is a truck.

In your country, the naming of a station wagon'd 4x4 is named an SUV, whereas in Australia it is called a fourby/fourbie. This is where our culture differs, and I might have been wrong in my first statement or I might've been right, it is all subjective to how the general population perceives and names the vehicle's classification based on the "norm".

That's my two cents anyway - for what it's worth.

Unless it's an engine with a carburetor, I just wait 5-10 seconds, and then drive slowly (baby the car for a while)

If you have a carburetor, when it's cold and you just take off, it can stutter and may want to stall out.

If the weather is really cold though I'll wait longer just to let the oil circulate, while also scraping the windows if there's ice.

I drive a rotary so I don't just let the car warm up by idling when it's cold, since a rotary runs really rich when it's cold. I just drive slowly, it'll warm up the car faster too.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Considering I drive old diesel, during warm period of the year I start the car, give it some time by putting on seat belt, preparing my stereo and drive off. Around 10-15 seconds of time at most? 

During winter, I tend to warm the car for at least 2-3 minutes, more if necessary.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Because the connotation of SUVs has become an encompassment of Jeeps, SUVs, station wagons, and larger hatchbacks. They all do the same job, and ignoring large SUVs like the Tahoe, to nearly the same capacity.

Whereas SUV used to mean a 4x4 station wagon with higher ground clearance.

Pickups are a subset of trucks.

A station wagon (and hatchback - not sure why that's there) can't do the same job as a truck - and that is the correct term, a Jeep is a brand of car. To give an example of each. 

A Truck -  Toyota Landcruiser

A Ute - Toyota Hllux

A SUV - Toyota Harrier

Station Wagon - Toyota Caldina

Hatchback - Toyota Yaris

A larger hatchback is an SUV. Probably the only two that are on par are the Hilux and Landcruiser in terms of size and tow ability. Both have the same engines. The Caldina and Yaris may also share an engine, but I don't know much about the Caldina. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

A station wagon (and hatchback - not sure why that's there) can't do the same job as a truck - and that is the correct term, a Jeep is a brand of car. To give an example of each. 

A Truck -  Toyota Landcruiser

A Ute - Toyota Hllux

A SUV - Toyota Harrier

Station Wagon - Toyota Caldina

Hatchback - Toyota Yaris

A larger hatchback is an SUV. Probably the only two that are on par are the Hilux and Landcruiser in terms of size and tow ability. Both have the same engines. The Caldina and Yaris may also share an engine, but I don't know much about the Caldina. 

Talking about the Landcruiser in his PFP, it's not an SUV at all. It's more of a jeep than anything, look at the thing. Does it look like an SUV? It looks like an old Defender. There is nothing sport about it... thing is a jeep, period.

An UTE is a Holden Commodore, the Hilux is a pick-up. The size is what differs an UTE from a pick-up. The Hilux is like at least 1.5 times bigger than the Holden.

A larger hatchback can also be a crossover. There is some confusion in this thread for sure. Some little difference makes a vehicle a crossover instead of "just an SUV".

1 minute ago, Motifator said:

Talking about the Landcruiser in his PFP, it's not an SUV at all. It's more of a jeep than anything, look at the thing. Does it look like an SUV? It looks like an old Defender. There is nothing sport about it... thing is a jeep, period.

An UTE is a Holden Commodore, the Hilux is a pick-up. The size is what differs an UTE from a pick-up. The Hilux is like at least 1.5 times bigger than the Holden.

A larger hatchback can also be a crossover. There is some confusion in this thread for sure. Some little difference makes a vehicle a crossover instead of "just an SUV".

A Jeep is a car brand :(. A LC is a truck. I don't really like the term SUV, because it classes them the same as the RAV4, Harrier etc, even the Nissan Juke, which are terrible cars and quite a bit smaller. 

A ute and a pick-up are the same thing, the Commodore is just much smaller, although older hiluxes are sometimes lowered to a similar size. 

19 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

A Jeep is a car brand :(. A LC is a truck. I don't really like the term SUV, because it classes them the same as the RAV4, Harrier etc, even the Nissan Juke, which are terrible cars and quite a bit smaller. 

A ute and a pick-up are the same thing, the Commodore is just much smaller, although older hiluxes are sometimes lowered to a similar size. 

It also means a JEEP. Aka, an off-road vehicle. Whether you like the "SUV" term or not is not the topic.

You can call a Hilux an UTE for all you like, but it's more of a pick-up. The term UTE truly means a SMALLER pick-up built similarly to a car. This not only applies to the Commodore, but also to those old small Volkswagen / Skoda single cabs.

Also, when somebody says "fourbie", I'd think of an UTV as well. This kind of terminology you use is simply lazy and doesn't exactly tell what kind of, pick-up, for example the vehicle is.

I think the term "ute" or utility can apply to many vehicles meant for utility purposes. 

But it's usually used for pickups built on a car chassis like the Holden Commodore Ute/HSV Maloo

Heck, Honda made one as a concept out of the FK8 Civic Type R and the Mighty Car Mods duo made one out of a Subaru Impreza WRX wagon 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

But it's usually used for pickups built on a car chassis like the Holden Commodore Ute/HSV Maloo

Yeah, this is more of what I was trying to say.

4 hours ago, DimasRMDO said:

I drive a rotary so I don't just let the car warm up by idling when it's cold, since a rotary runs really rich when it's cold. I just drive slowly, it'll warm up the car faster too.

Nice RX-8 Btw 

I have two cars, a Chevy C10 (6 cylinder 250CU.I. "Stovebolt" engine) and a Fiat 500 (1.4L 8v "Fire" engine), which couldn't be more different from eachother.

While the Fiat 500 i just wait for the computer to read all the sensors and turn off the christmas tree from the dashboard (which takes about as long as my computer takes to boot up), turn the key and drive off, on the truck i tend to leave it to warm a little bit, but just on the winter, otherwise it doesn't run all that well. 

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

On 8/28/2018 at 10:09 PM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Alright, chances are that you may have heard of people telling you that you need to leave your car idling for the engine to warm up properly before driving off.

That's not entirely bad advice to go off of, but I have been doing things a bit differently.

I daily drive a MY2016 Honda Fit, which has a fuel-injected Honda L15 engine. According to the manual and technicians, an extended warm-up period is not all that necessary and that the car should be ready to drive as soon as it starts although a short 10-30 second period is usually recommended.

I also live in an environment where 30-35 degree heat is very common. So what I usually do is crank the engine and leave it until the revs drop below 1000RPM before gently moving off and going easy for 5-10 minutes.

I'm genuinely curious as to how others do it and whether I'm actually doing any good

Always warmed the engine up a little bit by starting it and making sure not to rev the engine too high when initially driving. Its not good to let it idle too long because of piston blow by, which leads to oil contamination and fuel washing the piston rings and skirts of oil.

Modern engines with direct injection have a warm up cycle programmed into their engine management to get the catalytic converters up to temperature, which heats the engine as a result.

More advanced cars have self adjusting redlines based on temperature, and do require a bit of warming up(while driving slowly, not parked idling) to get them to optimal temp.

The important thing to do, which takes in the order of seconds in warm weather, is to let the oil actually reach the head. You can audibly tell the time when that happens if the car has been sitting long enough for all the oil to have drained to the sump and no longer be in head.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Nice RX-8 Btw 

The outside, you don't want to see the inside >_<

One of those car that keeps on b*tching if you try to leave it for a while.

Left my car for like 3+ days and it got flooded.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Just now, DimasRMDO said:

The outside, you don't want to see the inside >_<

One of those car that keeps on b*tching if you try to leave it for a while.

Left my car for like 3+ days and it got flooded.

Rotary life

Turn the car on, reverse out of the garage, and then put seatbelt and get the entertainment going. I don't idle for more than a minute before pulling out of the community. I keep my car below 3500RPM until the temp gauge is at quarter. After that, I drive normally... 

Spoiler

by blasting off every red light on 301. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

There's really no need to let your car warm up just don't beat on it while it's cold.  Just because the engine is warm doesn't mean the rest of the drivetrain is warmed up as well.  This gives drivers the illusion the entire system is warm and ready for normal driving.  By driving reasonably when cold and allowing the entire system to warm up together you get better longevity out of your vehicle.

I wait until the turbo pressure has dropped then I take off (usually less than a minute).

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 8/29/2018 at 3:09 AM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Alright, chances are that you may have heard of people telling you that you need to leave your car idling for the engine to warm up properly before driving off.

That's not entirely bad advice to go off of, but I have been doing things a bit differently.

I daily drive a MY2016 Honda Fit, which has a fuel-injected Honda L15 engine. According to the manual and technicians, an extended warm-up period is not all that necessary and that the car should be ready to drive as soon as it starts although a short 10-30 second period is usually recommended.

I also live in an environment where 30-35 degree heat is very common. So what I usually do is crank the engine and leave it until the revs drop below 1000RPM before gently moving off and going easy for 5-10 minutes.

I'm genuinely curious as to how others do it and whether I'm actually doing any good

I just turn the ignition on.

But you shouldn't need to warm up a car when it's already 30 degrees outside, it's already hot enough

A modern car with modern fuel injection and proper oil does not need to warm up, ever. As long as you give it like 2-3 seconds to get oil up into the head you do not need to worry. Don't ever romp on a cold engine but if you're above 4k RPM's on startup because you're being careless you will probably have a ton of other problems before the engine fails(transmission mostly). 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm all for the waiting long enough for things like oil pressure to fully build up (literally <5 seconds... if that)

But getting up to temp more quickly by light driving I actually think is more important. you want that metal to expand and seal things up real well quickly.. less fuel and other contaminants will end up in your oil

Likewise I wouldn't be flooring and working it up to redline until oil(not coolant!) is up to operating temp. Which can generally take like 20 minutes on some cars as oil heats up quite slowly.

get in your car, start your car, put on your seatbelt, adjust anything if you need to or put on some music or something, and drive away.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I typically wake up a few minutes before my son is supposed to be at the bus stop... we sprint out to my shop, I hit the garage door button on the wall, jump in the car and after starting it my hand goes strait from the key to the shifter to put it in reverse. Occasionally I have to wait a split second because the garage door hasn't gone up far enough... the car is still rolling backwards as I let off the clutch and send it forwards, turn onto the highway and peg it at 7k RPM in second to hit the brakes and turn off at the bus stop.

Quite literally have done this every school day for the last 4 years, and the thing won't die. 150k miles with chunks of brass coming out every oil change from the crank bushings, still purrs. Just to note, I treated the car well until I found out the motor was bad, and its not worth replacing the motor so I decided to see how much it takes to try and blow up a Subaru 2.5T, turns out it takes a hell of a lot of abuse...

On 8/28/2018 at 11:44 PM, Motifator said:

We have kind of an autistic small closed garage

What... what exactly does an "autistic" garage look like? xD

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

What... what exactly does an "autistic" garage look like? xD

Like one you can hardly make movements in with a car, just a poor construction. Wasn't referring to how clean it is or something. Lol.

Just now, Motifator said:

Like one you can hardly make movements in with a car, just a poor construction. Wasn't referring to how clean it is or something. Lol.

I.. uhm... don't think autistic means what you think it does, based on this description :P haha

Small? Cramped? Of poor design? Yes definitely.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)