Why Are White Things So Rare?

jiyeon

Hi, so I've been interested in PCs since I was like 15, I'm 18 now and only just recently built my first ever PC. (Yay, me!) The theme for that PC was black and white. It's been a few months that I've been in the PC game now and I'm noticing a lack of white PC parts in general.

It's so rare to find white RAM, white motherboards, white keyboards, white mice, white graphics cards, white coolers, don't you agree? Why is white stuff such a rarity? And when we can find them, they're usually not too good. White Corsair Vengeance RAM in particular is more expensive than black variants, I've found. White keyboards are much more expensive too if you can even find one, the Corsair K70 Mk.2 is so expensive for a color. White things are so hard to come by, is there some manufacturing process that I'm missing on?

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

You have to understand , most people don't care what color the pcb is on their components.

and those that do care have to actually LIKE white pcbs rather than any other color on a spectrum.

I could simply say , why aren't there more purple pcbs and it would be the same thing you're asking.

Simple. Black sells.

Most people don't care, a couple years ago, it was your standard PCB Blue, red, green, and black on the more premium products. In the 90's brown pcb's were common (but that was mostly due to cost reduction on something no one saw in their beige box with the monitor on top)

White peripherals can be explained by saying: orange cheeto dust is easier to see on white as compared to black.

And components are still somewhat uncommon in white, because in the mid 2000's or a little earlier, white components (or maybe beige) were seen as less premium options compared to black components. white/beige/yellow was the norm from the 80's until 2000 or so, but after that we got black components which quickly become more premium and later the norm.

Also, different shades of black.. No big deal.

Different shades of white (eggshell, beige, cream, etc.) are fairly annoying to see which is why black is a safer option in terms of same look across all your stuff.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I know this sitn what you aksed for, but NZXT do a variant of their motherboard in white. :) 

PC SPECS: i7 - 3820, 32GB GSkill DDR3 RAM, 2TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, Intel 240GB SSD, Corsair Spec Omega Case, Strix GTX 1060 6GB, Corsair H150i Pro RGB, Corsair CX850M PSU

I’m going to guess that 

1. White gets dirty easily

2. Most circuitboards are made green brown or blue. I’m guessing it’s from the materials they’re made of as 90s computer boards are mostly green. 

3. Black matches things more easily. 

The “gamer” aesthetic is red and black and home users don’t want it to stand out absurdly. 

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

White peripherals can be explained by saying: orange cheeto dust is easier to see on white as compared to black.

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Because no one wants a dirt magnet.

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

White gets dirty easily

I, one of the cleanest people in my country. :( 

9 minutes ago, seoz said:

Problem there is the NZXT N7 is like $200. :( 

It's a rubbish board though. Avoid it.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

It's a rubbish board though. Avoid it.

Yeah, I've heard from JayzTwoCents. It may be white, but the overclocks will suck. It's such a basic board underneath all that white plastic above. Ew.

1 hour ago, seoz said:

I, one of the cleanest people in my country. :( 

Others are not so they think white is dirty & don’t want to buy dirty things. 

my guess is most people don't like a big bright thing next to their displays. 

like my whole OS has a dark theme on it, my pc has barely any lights in it apart from the RGB fans and i keep those on a solid colour, my setup is positioned against a black wall...

maybe it's because my eyes are quite bad but i get eyestrain if i have to look at bright light for a long time. if i had a white pc case i would go crazy just because of all the light reflecting off it... 

She/Her

probably just for the sole reason of it accumulating dust & getting dirty then all of that being shown , same reason only few people choose white cars .

Details separate people.

no offense but, because white is UGLY, unlike you a large portion of the dev teams making modern PC components grew up in a world with white/off white boxes with brown motherboards as the ONLY options, so they wanted to be as polar opposite from that as they could be with there products and black is a cooler color.

that said in the last year or 2 there has been a lot of people wanting white components and they are getting much easier to find, Gigabyte has a white (with orange accents) GPU, Corsair has White RAM or can can go dark ram with white LED, several motherboards have mostly white options, white cases are coming back, there is even a white PSU from Corsair. accessories like mice and keyboards are the harder things ti find.

#BringBackBeige. 

Probably memories of 90s beige/light grey are too vivid. Or People might there to be distinction from Apple products.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I've always liked be the pure glossy white color but that's just me.

theres also the cost involved. From what I heard, its harder to mix a dye into white for components vs black, thus raising the initial cost by a good percent

white things are often more expensive to manufacture especially if you want them to stay white for a long time and not turn yellow in sunlight.

also the most used white pigment in the world titanium dioxide has a global shortage right now because the biggest factory burned down over a year ago which also makes it less likely for everyone to produce white variants of products.

4 minutes ago, The White Lady said:

In RPG's, white (and gray) things are easily attainted and always vendor trash or crafting scraps at best, so I don't think I know what you're talking about.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:57 PM, seoz said:

It's so rare to find white RAM, white motherboards, white keyboards, white mice, white graphics cards, white coolers

Racist.

/s

Because people believe white products show "dirt" more. Which is partially true, it shows up if it's dark and colorful. Black does the same thing, but with lighter hues of messy shit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Because white isn't RGB? Isn't that what every one is after?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

On 23/08/2018 at 6:03 PM, Minibois said:

And components are still somewhat uncommon in white, because in the mid 2000's or a little earlier, white components (or maybe beige) were seen as less premium options compared to black components. white/beige/yellow was the norm from the 80's until 2000 or so, but after that we got black components which quickly become more premium and later the norm.

Also, different shades of black.. No big deal.

Different shades of white (eggshell, beige, cream, etc.) are fairly annoying to see which is why black is a safer option in terms of same look across all your stuff.

Agreed.

And actually I think white components (not peripherals, but internals anyway) are kinda common. Not really common like black ofc, but you can find them, and you can even pick and choose.

I feel like 90% is black, 7% is white and 3% is every other color in existence.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:02 AM, emosun said:

most people don't care what color the pcb is on their components

I care, I would not but any green pcb ever again.

last year red and black were very common but this year its all gone

15 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I care

good for you the majority don't.

15 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I would not but any green pcb ever again.

um... ok looks like we found the key demographic for colored pcb's lol. better not get in a car and drive it , the pcb's might be green lol