Amazon ends 20% Prime video game pre-order discount

AlTech

Amazon is ending their 20% Prime video game pre-order discount. The company is now offering a separate $10 USD Credit which will be available a month after purchase which can be used towarda a seperate purchase for Prime customers.

Amazon is discontinuing its two-year-old video game preorder discount program for Prime members on August 28th, the company announced today. In its place, Amazon will offer members a $10 credit with a preorder, but only for select titles. The credit will take up to 35 days to arrive. Once activated, customers will have 60 days to put the money toward a separate purchase on Amazon.

Back in July, CNET noted a change to the Prime platform’s Terms of Service that suggested Amazon would change its game discount policy to exclude certain titles. Now, it seems like the company is simply replacing it wholesale.

Curtailing the program is sure to be met with disappointment among game fans who have resisted the urge to move most of their purchases to digital stores operated by Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. Amazon’s discount program also kept it fiercely competitive with GameStop. As noted by Polygon, Best Buy shut down a similar 20 percent discount program called Gamers Club, which was unlocked earlier this summer, and replaced it with a $10 credit system.

So yeah, I think it's a little surprising Amazon is playing around a lot with existing Prime benefits and changing some. I am dissapointed that they are taking away value from Prime. The $10 Credit isn't something that makes up for it in my opinion.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/20/17761560/amazon-prime-video-game-preoder-discount-end-over-september-28

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

So yeah, I think it's a little surprising Amazon is playing around a lot with existing Prime benefits and changing some.

Apple hit 1 Trillion and now Jeff Bezos is telling everyone to hold his beer.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

so what is the purpose of Prime anymore?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

At this point, only same day shipping 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Watch Amazon release Prime +++14nm Edition that will include all the previous benefits of Prime for a small price increase of %50.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Next Day Delivery or Same Day Delivery. Free Delivery for all items whereas non Prime pay for delivery under £20.

Prime Video is good in theory but execution is not a killer feature. Same for Amazon Prime Music. If they offered Music Unlimited with Prime then I would be happier with it.

Also, exclusive discounts on purchases and Amazon Pantry is prime exclusive.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

58 minutes ago, Arika S said:

The only reason I buy it, free one/two day shipping on everything, no minimum

Also 5% back on everything if you have the amazon card

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

I still cant figure out why anyone uses amazon at all much less prime... unless theyre cheapskates 

7 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

I still cant figure out why anyone uses amazon at all much less prime... unless theyre cheapskates 

You just answered your own question 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

12 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

You mean why order computer parts through them to get faster shipping compared to Newegg?

Or order anything I can't get locally with fast and cheap shipping?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

You mean why order computer parts through them to get faster shipping compared to Newegg?

Or order anything I can't get locally with fast and cheap shipping?

While contributing to an immensely unethical and economically detrimental company.

I guess most people only think short term and irrationally selfishly.

Interesting how they are ending this after Best Buy got rid of their Gamers Club too...

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Is it really "free" shipping if you're "buying" access to it?

Well, if you spend less than £20 (and thus pay for shipping) on purchases without Prime, and you buy stuff like that 2 or more times per month then prime is basically free.

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

What I don't get about the shipping is how $10 credit can take 35 days to ship from Amazon Online, to Amazon Online. 

4 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

While contributing to an immensely unethical and economically detrimental company.

So if you buy from Amazon you are irrational and selfish. 

Best comment today. 

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well, if you spend less than £20 (and thus pay for shipping) on purchases without Prime, and you buy stuff like that 2 or more times per month then prime is basically free.

I'm not saying you can't save money on shipping, I just take exception to calling something "free" when it's a paid subscription.

24 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

What I don't get about the shipping is how $10 credit can take 35 days to ship from Amazon Online, to Amazon Online. 

It's them not wanting to let people have access to it straight away and refund the purchase whilst keeping the credit.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

It's them not wanting to let people have access to it straight away and refund the purchase whilst keeping the credit.

They can just include it as part of the transaction and take it away if they refund. 

well thats a good point, but I more than make up for the cost. last year my account placed 248 orders, not all mine I promise, but i would be surprised if half were over $25 or $35, whatever the minimum is now.

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

On 8/21/2018 at 3:30 PM, mynameisjuan said:

So if you buy from Amazon you are irrational and selfish. 

Best comment today. 

There is rational selfishness, which is a good thing because it can be universalized.

I am specifically talking about irrational selfishness, which is nonadaptive.

On 21/8/2018 at 4:34 PM, Amazonsucks said:

Well if you think its better to pay over 300 to 500$ more to a full computer or 50-100 on any electronic, if you live in silicon valley well amazon sucks but if you live where pc shops sell overpriced computers with bad components well... I cant buy a proper rca cable on my town so what do you recomend? 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

34 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Well if you think its better to pay over 300 to 500$ more to a full computer or 50-100 on any electronic, if you live in silicon valley well amazon sucks but if you live where pc shops sell overpriced computers with bad components well... I cant buy a proper rca cable on my town so what do you recomend? 

Newegg works fine for me.

Well if you live were newegg works , try that on europe. But well newegg its ok but amazon is the devil, that standards xD 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.