Secret Backdoor found in older Via x86 chips.

Tom's Hardware has an article about the discovery of secret backdoors in VIA thin clients. 

Some x86 CPUs have hidden backdoors that let you seize root by sending a command to an undocumented RISC core that manages the main CPU, security researcher Christopher Domas told the Black Hat conference 

This is pretty scary, I wonder how many of our PC's have these hidden cores in their chips.https://www.tomshardware.com/news/x86-hidden-god-mode,37582.html

4 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Like the Intel Management Engine? xD

Intel says it isn't a back door.  I for one , believe them wholeheartedly.

People still use VIA?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

"Intel says it so it must be true!"

Remember:

- Skylake has worse IPC than Coffee Lake

- 28 core will become consumer

- DDR3 kills Skylake

- Z170 can't run Coffee Lake

- The ME is secure

idk

16 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

- 28 core will become consumer

if it takes them just as long as it took them 6 core's that'll take a while. 

i have 6 core Xeon's from 2010 in my system, i dunno what the first 6-core Xeon was but it's old. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, Sithon1 said:

Tom's Hardware has an article about the discovery of secret backdoors in VIA thin clients. 

This is pretty scary, I wonder how many of our PC's have these hidden cores in their chips.https://www.tomshardware.com/news/x86-hidden-god-mode,37582.html

This is explicitly from a chip from 2003 in embedded use, but, well, those are still around.

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

This is explicitly from a chip from 2003 in embedded use, but, well, those are still around.

Yup.

I've got boards with VIA chips on them(granted nothing terribly recent that I'm aware of), but as far as I know VIA still manufactures sound chips and similar parts for other companies.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yup.

I've got boards with VIA chips on them(granted nothing terribly recent that I'm aware of), but as far as I know VIA still manufactures sound chips and similar parts for other companies.

They've still got Cyrix's x86 license and it's being used out of China now.

But the real question is: someone put this backdoor in at the design level, so who was it for?

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yup.

I think they still manufacture x86 CPU as well. Just well out of the consumer eye.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

I think they still manufacture x86 CPU as well. Just well out of the consumer eye.

They made an announcement a while ago stating that they were coming back to the CPU market, but I never heard about anything beyond that announcement.

It was pretty big too, since they'd been phased out by Intel(for the most part) and AMD.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Lots of thin-client stuff.

But I think we're glossing over that this might be the first Designed-at-Hardware level backdoor that's been hidden in a x86 CPU. The IME & PSP are at least acknowledge and exist for legitimate reasons. 

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Aha, finally, now tha VIA has been hit by critical blow, Texas instruments will rule the CPU market ahahahaha

That looks better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Sithon1 said:

Intel says it isn't a back door.  I for one , believe them wholeheartedly.

It allows someone to remotely access a computer with full privileges, leaving no trace of their actions. The code is closed and the ME cannot be deactivated by regular means, even if you don't use it.

That's the definition of a backdoor ?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They made an announcement a while ago stating that they were coming back to the CPU market, but I never heard about anything beyond that announcement.

It was pretty big too, since they'd been phased out by Intel(for the most part) and AMD.

I don't think this vulnerabiliy would be relevant if they actually did get back in the desktop market, they'll need a completely new architecture if they hope to compete.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 hours ago, Sauron said:

It allows someone to remotely access a computer with full privileges, leaving no trace of their actions. The code is closed and the ME cannot be deactivated by regular means, even if you don't use it.

That's the definition of a backdoor ?

Do I need to hold up the sarcasm sign?

2 hours ago, Sithon1 said:

Do I need to hold up the sarcasm sign?

I've seen people honestly defending the ME, I don't know what's even real anymore linus_sad48x48.png.94b9c975a8ceef3df044ce8df1f0c3c2.png

sudo chmod -R 000 /*