Disney's buyout of 20th century FOX as good as done.

MoonSpot

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/27/media/disney-fox-merger-vote/index.html

I know this topic has been broached before, but now its as good as a done deal.

Shareholders approve the purchase of 20th century Fox by disney and has been largely government approved.

Despite the throngs of comments saying that the purchase is good to get the X-men into the MCU, it is a very far cry from being worth 71.3 BILLION M*THER FRACKING DOLLARS.

The only reason that this sort of money comes out to play is to corner markets, so get ready for gouging and realityTV quality programming.  Do recall that this bid jumped up around 20 billion over night as a huge beeotch slap to anyone(comcast) thinking they were going to get in Disneys way in acquiring Fox.

To say that Disney owns everything is not as far from the truth as I'd like to believe.

If we look at how disney/LucasFilms abused their power against theaters with the release of The Last Jedi, and we've a very clear image of what is in store for everyone going forward at the other end of disneys stick.

Normally production houses would split theater earnings 50/50 or so, not so with disney/Lucas...

...cinemas accepting the Rian Johnson sequel when it opens on Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. will have to give Disney about 65% of the overall ticket sales and promise to keep the film in its biggest theater(s) for at least four weeks.

...In general, the studio takes anywhere from 40-55%% of each ticket sale for a specific movie...

source:https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/02/star-wars-the-last-jedi-why-disney-is-pressuring-u-s-theaters/#5327c3ec604c

Bend over for the man.

Supplementary info in video/audio format. (somewhat liberal use of language, NSFW, but not that bad)

This does offer an interesting issue for NetFlix and amazon, they might be the only open shot out there since SONY sure as hell ain't going to manage to save themselves.

Just now, MoonSpot said:

Eh?

Huh?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

But why?

It allows Disney to pump out R rated content through the Fox labels to disassociate those kinds of titles away from the Disney label which they want to keep 'family-friendly'.

That and the mouse can exercise more control on what you consume film and TV wise.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Huh?

hmm?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Pintend said:

That and the mouse can exercise more control on what you consume film and tv wise.

All hail the great mouse, our supreme overlord!

Remember kids! Mickey mouse is your very best friend, DRMs keep terrorists (and pirates) from 'stealing' Mickey's profits, and to buy the next Fox-themed lootbox for only $9.99!

Just now, thorhammerz said:

All hail the great mouse, our supreme overlord!

Remember kids! Mickey mouse is your very best friend, DRMs keep terrorists (and pirates) from 'stealing' Mickey's profits, and to buy the next Fox-themed lootbox for only $9.99!

Can't wait for the Simpsons themed Fox-Disney loot crate system.

My wallet is just trembling in anticipation...

2 things:

• Disney is suspectable of being bought out. A couple years ago, Comcast wanted to buy Disney, as well as, in the past, investor group which goals are to buy companies out via large loan that they acquire from other investors, and sale the purchased company into parts and owning nothing at the end, they pay back loans + interest and make profit. For Disney to avoid this, they need to be so big that no one can afford this.

• Streaming. Disney wants to be like Netflix, as they see cable TV is dying. So they need content. When you own content, it cost a fraction to license content to your streaming service than to get a license from others. This is why Netflix is making its own content. Movies licenses for Netflix increases as movie studio/publishers see more and more value in streaming, and that means for Netflix, either increase their prices (which reduces subscriptions, making people switch to competitors despite less content), or make their own content and shows to intense people in paying for their service.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

2 things:

• Disney is suspectable of being bought out. A couple years ago, Comcast wanted to buy Disney, as well as, in the past, investor group which goals are to buy companies out via large loan that they acquire by other investors, and sale the purchased company into parts and owning nothing at the end, they pay back loans + interest and make profit.  To avoid this, they need to be so big that no one can afford this.

• Streaming. Disney wants to be like Netflix, as they see cable TV is dying. So they need content. When you own content, it cost a fraction to license content to your streaming service than to get a license from others. This is why Netflix is making its own content. Movies licenses for Netflix increases as movie studio/publishers see more and more value in streaming, and that means for Netflix, either increase their prices (which reduces subscriptions, making people switch to competitors despite less content), or make their own content and shows to intense people in paying for their service.

hulu is still better than netflix. half the shows they took off netflix are now on hulu, and most of those are ones I watch. 

12 minutes ago, Uncle Pockets said:

hulu is still better than netflix. half the shows they took off netflix are now on hulu, and most of those are ones I watch. 

Disney owns 60% of Hulu now with their purchase of Fox.  They each only had 30% prior and the only way they could get more was to buy someone else that already owned a share.

From what I remember, what Disney isn't getting is the Fox Broadcasting Company (the Fox network), Fox News (and Fox Business) and Fox Sports (and all subsidiaries of that), as Disney has their own competing services (ABC, technically ABC News and ESPN). Otherwise it's a winner-takes-all deal here. The movie studio and ALL of its subsidiaries, FX Networks and whatever else the company has.

Also, I'd recommend changing the "20th Century Fox" part of the title to "21st Century Fox" as Disney is buying basically the whole pig here, not just the namesake movie studio.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

65% isn't as ridiculously horrible a percentage as you think for such a high profile movie. Remember Avatar, the movie that beat out titanic in ticket sales? They had 95 - 5 split for theaters and you either took it or didn't get the movie. 

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

30 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Disney owns 60% of Hulu now with their purchase of Fox.  They each only had 30% prior and the only way they could get more was to buy someone else that already owned a share.

good, if you invest in netflix you are dumb, yes its big now but its the first and most times the first get big then someone else sees what they are doing wrong and do that plus the normal stuff and boom you took over. I use hulu daily but nextflix I may only use one or twice a month when I want to watch a moive. otherwise I just see new movies when they come out in theater. 

live TV will be the next thing, places like hulu just stream the TV shows or parter with networks to have that show just on hulu now and no longer have it in cable, the only ones who watch cable with now are older people who don't know about all this Fancy technology. my whole family has need watched cable since 2015 when we got rid of it. id love to watch like cartoon network and stuff like the news shows that are not online but honestly its a hassle to have to wait for the show to come on and all that. and the having to switch the source on my TV from smartcast to cable if I wanted to watch it. while it doenst seem like a big deal to change the source after you need to do it 80 times just to see the show you want its still not on it gets annoying. 

21 minutes ago, Daegun said:

65% isn't as ridiculously horrible a percentage as you think for such a high profile movie. Remember Avatar, the movie that beat out titanic in ticket sales? They had 95 - 5 split for theaters and you either took it or didn't get the movie. 

Got a source on that?  Not seeing anything with a cursory search.

So Hank Hill is a Disney character now?

Spoiler

hankken.png.615bdd3c2ad7fd1f0f8dfc7adf5162b5.png

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 hour ago, Uncle Pockets said:

hulu is still better than netflix

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/better

6 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

So Hank Hill is a Disney character now?

Hide contents

hankken.png.615bdd3c2ad7fd1f0f8dfc7adf5162b5.png

Eh, not like Disney characters can get worse anymore.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Meh, between Comcast or Disney, i rather take the Mouse.

As the old saying goes, its smarter to take the devil that you know vs the one you don't know.

Disney just wants to take over the worlds entertainment. They'll never take Paramount and Universal!

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Disney just wants to take over the worlds entertainment. They'll never take Paramount and Universal!

Hey don't worry, the greedy fucks over at NBC/Comcast and National Amusements could very well give up their precious Viacom and Universal.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Now that you've commented, I just realized this might be a big kick in the nuts to apple itunes content availability and purchasing front.

Spoiler

WjmkB.jpg

bye bye 30%+ cut Apple.